Fire Emblem: Three Houses

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'll admit I pre-ordered this game without really thinking about it and was half expecting to just kinda play it and get it over with.

But I'm really into this game. Like really into it. I want to do all the supports and find out more about the characters and story. I'm ready to put hundreds of hours into this game.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
Is someone that has never played a Fire Emblem game prior to this going to be lost or clueless as to what is going on? There's a lot of hype surrounding this game and I'm thinking about taking the plunge

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Is someone that has never played a Fire Emblem game prior to this going to be lost or clueless as to what is going on? There's a lot of hype surrounding this game and I'm thinking about taking the plunge

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before this and I can't stop playing. For me it's like x-com but with a real story and characters.

Speaking of X-COM, probably my only gripe with the combat is I wish there were some sort of directional bonuses for flanking and more varied terrain and terrain bonuses.

Reactions: Palio

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
One thing I'd really love back in Fire Emblem games are laguz. I'm a tad biased because Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are my favourites in the series (though Three Houses may work its way up there to be honest, which is pretty incredible) but I always thought it was a really interesting mechanic and awesome story-wise.

Reactions: Gecklund

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Short answer is you'll be fine.

The traditional Fire Emblem elements of this game border on taking a backseat to the RPG elements(this is not a criticism) and the story is independent of previous FE titles.

Reactions: Palio

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
One thing I'd really love back in Fire Emblem games are laguz. I'm a tad biased because Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are my favourites in the series (though Three Houses may work its way up there to be honest, which is pretty incredible) but I always thought it was a really interesting mechanic and awesome story-wise.
Yes I would love Laguz back in. I was thinking the same thing.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Finally started last night. Only played for an hour or so but I get it. There are a lot of games that I recently started playing such as Octopath traveler where I just couldn't get into it.

I went with... The Golden Deer. Claude just seemed like the most likable of the three. In between yardwork and poker this weekend I hope to squeeze in a few more hours.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Okay I had never played a Fire Emblem before. It was really only on my radar because they have a big representation in Smash and all the pro Smash players can't stop talking about it.

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD. I hadn't really played a SRPG before (not even FF Tactics, I'm ashamed to admit) but the combat is pretty fun so far. Outside of combat the game reminds me of a mix of Persona, Xenoblade and FFVIII, which is a very good thing. Went with the Black Eagles, I mean Edelgard c'mon.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Okay I had never played a Fire Emblem before. It was really only on my radar because they have a big representation in Smash and all the pro Smash players can't stop talking about it.

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD. I hadn't really played a SRPG before (not even FF Tactics, I'm ashamed to admit) but the combat is pretty fun so far. Outside of combat the game reminds me of a mix of Persona, Xenoblade and FFVIII, which is a very good thing. Went with the Black Eagles, I mean Edelgard c'mon.
Having put 100 hours on it, there's still some flaws but it's easily the best game in a long time. And it's new player friendly.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Claude and Lorenz's last support scene... wow. The writing and voice acting in this game are top notch, like Witcher 3 level. The only difference is Fire Emblem has done it with 30+ characters as opposed to the relatively small cast in Witcher 3. I couldn't even believe they did support scenes between everyone, including people from outside your own house.

Reactions: HanSolo

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Are you guys leaving Byleth and his deputy (thinking specifically Claude here) with their "special" classes or making them one of the master classes? Thinking about switching Claude to bow knight and Byleth to mortal savant just because they maxed out their unique classes so quickly.

Also making Hilda a great knight has made her my most OP character. I gave her the march ring plus one of the movement speed bonuses so now she's a battleship with great movement that one shots everything and gets "no damage" against every physical attack against her.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Are you guys leaving Byleth and his deputy (thinking specifically Claude here) with their "special" classes or making them one of the master classes? Thinking about switching Claude to bow knight and Byleth to mortal savant just because they maxed out their unique classes so quickly.

Also making Hilda a great knight has made her my most OP character. I gave her the march ring plus one of the movement speed bonuses so now she's a battleship with great movement that one shots everything and gets "no damage" against every physical attack against her.
I left both. I feel like both were good enough without switching. I definitely thought about switching Claude though.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I did this with Hilda - but for Wyvern Lord instead.
(actually on my BL path I just made everyone Falcon Knights, and Wyvern Lords. it's so fun).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I did this with Hilda - but for Wyvern Lord instead.
(actually on my BL path I just made everyone Falcon Knights, and Wyvern Lords. it's so fun).
I don’t like the horses/Pegasus/wyverns. I like the on foot units more. They seem to have higher attack and speed which is what I rely on. I generally have lots of swordmasters.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I don’t like the horses/Pegasus/wyverns. I like the on foot units more. They seem to have higher attack and speed which is what I rely on. I generally have lots of swordmasters.
Units with Canto> units without Canto. It's pretty much a law of Fire Emblem.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm generally split 50/50 in terms of units with canto vs units without. I have Marianne use the Stride gambit at the start of every battle so except for the massive fortress maps I can usually get even my non-mounted people where they need to be pretty quickly. I wanted to use Ingrid more because I got her to Pegasus and then Falcon knight but so she's useless against armored units. Usually end up rotating between Ingrid, Ignatz and Catherine for the last spot.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

Pegasus Knights (historically) have the best speed growths in the game (and res/evasion)
Wyvern knights (historically) have some of the best defense.

and i have found on two of three paths - mobility is key.
i basically have two classes for my team.
Team Flight, Team Foot (and i barely every need team foot).

I'm finally on the Black Eagle path and i am legit training Edelgard to be a Wyvern Lord because I don't want to deal with her armour butt. (I mean i WILL, but. yah. she's gonna be a flying lol)

I'm generally split 50/50 in terms of units with canto vs units without. I have Marianne use the Stride gambit at the start of every battle so except for the massive fortress maps I can usually get even my non-mounted people where they need to be pretty quickly. I wanted to use Ingrid more because I got her to Pegasus and then Falcon knight but so she's useless against armored units. Usually end up rotating between Ingrid, Ignatz and Catherine for the last spot.

the only person i haven't ever made into a flier was Felix. (and i am half tempted to, just so instead of warp him into a pile of people, i can fly him into a pile of people dismount and he can continue to kick the behind.

I've given Ingrid a C in swords (usually how she is when i get her), and she can do fine vs. Armours if she has an armour slayer or a rapier.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Also also - finishing the Blue Lions.
Holy mind blown (again).
this game is dark and twisty.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Just finished the Golden Deer storyline. Great game but I do think the week by week pattern with the monastery became a drag by the end and didn't help the pacing for this particular storyline. Not going to go into detail but I would have preferred going right from "major boss X" to "major boss y", especially since my entire squad was ridiculously OP by that point. Still, great game with a great story. Starting the Black Eagles line now for a different perspective.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just finished the Golden Deer storyline. Great game but I do think the week by week pattern with the monastery became a drag by the end and didn't help the pacing for this particular storyline. Not going to go into detail but I would have preferred going right from "major boss X" to "major boss y", especially since my entire squad was ridiculously OP by that point. Still, great game with a great story. Starting the Black Eagles line now for a different perspective.
You could try playing on hard but to be honest, I'm doing that now and it's just making fights take longer cause I'll need two units to take down one enemy. What I recommend is dial back the training and auxilliary battles. Intentionally limit your units' potential. That's what I did in my Blue Lions run and...I may have done it too much cause it became too hard after that. I only had three units I trusted to go out and not get nearly killed by one enemy attack. Fighting Demonic beasts became a nightmare.

But I see your point with the monastery tasks. By your third run through, or even your first really, it becomes a drag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad