Fire/Don't Fire/Discuss Torts II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Trading Milano is a disaster for this franchise . When are people going to wake up to what the real problem is . Wennberg has become a player worth possible cutting , under this coach and taking all creativity out of there games . Karlsson , a checker here , shows the ability he always had , but couldn’t play here , goes on to score 50g in season , and at worst is a #2c. Duclair gets run out of here , becomes an allstar . Panarin goes to a worse team, becomes way more productive . And now we’re looking at moving Milano . It has to be hard as a young player to be asked to lose all your creativity , become a straight ahead grinder type , and when you mess up , you will be yanked , rather than playing thru and learning . Let’s not forget that this team became competitive when most of the skill was being waned out of the lineup, and this coach had no choice but to play what was available to him. But, is it sustainable to win games 2-1 in today’s nhl ? I would say no... and with Torts at the helm , neutering talent , we will always at best be a team that squeaks into the playoffs . No skilled player is ever going to entertain Columbus under this coach , and more times than not , he will squander their asset that’s drafted . His system is straight ahead , forwards cover for roving defenseman , and let’s filter our offense thru those defenseman . I’m sure the Torts defense force will try to spin what’s going on . Hopefully he has a meltdown soon , and is forced to step down

Reactions: Greggo56

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Is Milano that bad?
He had 14g 8a as a rookie in 54g playing 8 minutes per night . Torts has to have every player play as a grinder or they will be pulled for every mistake they make . Such a great fit when you realize that Columbus will never be able to sign the top free agents , so your skill must come from within.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Trading Milano is a disaster for this franchise . When are people going to wake up to what the real problem is . Wennberg has become a player worth possible cutting , under this coach and taking all creativity out of there games . Karlsson , a checker here , shows the ability he always had , but couldn’t play here , goes on to score 50g in season , and at worst is a #2c. Duclair gets run out of here , becomes an allstar . Panarin goes to a worse team, becomes way more productive . And now we’re looking at moving Milano . It has to be hard as a young player to be asked to lose all your creativity , become a straight ahead grinder type , and when you mess up , you will be yanked , rather than playing thru and learning . Let’s not forget that this team became competitive when most of the skill was being waned out of the lineup, and this coach had no choice but to play what was available to him. But, is it sustainable to win games 2-1 in today’s nhl ? I would say no... and with Torts at the helm , neutering talent , we will always at best be a team that squeaks into the playoffs . No skilled player is ever going to entertain Columbus under this coach , and more times than not , he will squander their asset that’s drafted . His system is straight ahead , forwards cover for roving defenseman , and let’s filter our offense thru those defenseman . I’m sure the Torts defense force will try to spin what’s going on . Hopefully he has a meltdown soon , and is forced to step down
Karlssons goal production has steadily dropped. 43 goal season looks to be a fluke. Duclair has done nothing since his hat trick against Columbus, so he is basically the player everyone thinks he is. Bjorkstrand has gotten better every year under Torts, his style of coaching isn't hurting him. Come on Sonny, you can do better than that to lobby for playing time.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Or maybe the guy should actually try to use his skill when given the opportunity to be the guy. Instead he floated into obscurity and ended up getting scratched on a team starved for offensive production.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Trading Milano is a disaster for this franchise .

you can’t possibly truly believe this. Trading a mid first round pick from over a half decade ago who has shown next to nothing in ample opportunities qualifies as a “disaster”? Much bigger disasters have happened even in the past year ( including the Dzingel deal, not trading Panarin and losing him for nothing, signing Harrington to a 3 year deal) . Milano will be remembered as a fart in the wind around these parts, and I will be truly shocked if he turns into anything close to a serviceable NHL player in Anaheim.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Trading Milano is a disaster for this franchise......

He had 14g 8a as a rookie in 54g playing 8 minutes per night . Torts has to have every player play as a grinder or they will be pulled for every mistake they make . Such a great fit when you realize that Columbus will never be able to sign the top free agents , so your skill must come from within.

Sonny has created most of his own problems. He is fast but he can't skate (did he ever take skating lessons). He has skill but he doesn't use if effectively. He loses most puck battles and falls down all of the time (does he even do off-season strength training). He get's knock off the puck easier than a house cards in a wind storm. He scores from weird angles but mostly can't hit the net or score a routing goal. He is useless on the PP when that should be a strength. Torts has given him more rope this year and he has failed to take advantage of his opportunities. There's a reason AHL players are passing him and it's not because of the coach.

Karlsson has turned into a pretty good 2nd line center but don't act like Torts hated him and ran him out of town. Hindsight is always easy to look at and you consistently bring this up.

Duclair is nothing but a stronger skating Milano. He has cooled off the last couple of months after a hot start and scoring a few goals. He's always been good at that. The rest of his game is average at best.

Using Panarin is a bad example. It doesn't matter what coach he plays for or who he plays with. He's an elite player that the CBJ tried to keep at all costs. I have heard nothing from him or in the media that says the reason he left is based on Torts.

I think your above posts are pure rant and hatred of the coach. You have your right to do that. I'm not the biggest fan of his offensive stifling defensive system either. But putting this on Torts is an excuse and Sonny has nobody to blame but himself.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sonny has created most of his own problems. He is fast but he can't skate (did he ever take skating lessons). He has skill but he doesn't use if effectively. He loses most puck battles and falls down all of the time (does he even do off-season strength training). He get's knock off the puck easier than a house cards in a wind storm. He scores from weird angles but mostly can't hit the net or score a routing goal. He is useless on the PP when that should be a strength. Torts has given him more rope this year and he has failed to take advantage of his opportunities. There's a reason AHL players are passing him and it's not because of the coach.

Karlsson has turned into a pretty good 2nd line center but don't act like Torts hated him and ran him out of town. Hindsight is always easy to look at and you consistently bring this up.

Duclair is nothing but a stronger skating Milano. He has cooled off the last couple of months after a hot start and scoring a few goals. He's always been good at that. The rest of his game is average at best.

Using Panarin is a bad example. It doesn't matter what coach he plays for or who he plays with. He's an elite player that the CBJ tried to keep at all costs. I have heard nothing from him or in the media that says the reason he left is based on Torts.

I think your above posts are pure rant and hatred of the coach. You have your right to do that. I'm not the biggest fan of his offensive stifling defensive system either. But putting this on Torts is an excuse and Sonny has nobody to blame but himself.

Tortorella is doing exactly what Davidson and Kelalainen bright him in to do, to make sure that the skilled young players the personnel team brought in were playing a uniform, dedicated, professional style of hockey, reliant on fundamentals so that there would be consistency throughout the lineup.

No, it’s not perfect, and yes, there are some things about his methods and system that are infuriating at times (more times for some than others).

But if the things being discussed as failures of the coach are, indeed, failures, they are failures of the entire organization.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
As i said , Torts defense force out in full effect . The spin on Karlsson is hilarious 43 g , plus 7 in playoffs for 50g 2 seasons ago , for 78 points in regular season , his high here was 25 points as a checker . Last season he had 24g 32 a . Anyone care to point out what our #2 C has put up past 2 seasons ? 7g and 45 points in last 2 years from Wennberg . The same player that had 13 and 46 has found himself a shell of the potential he once had shown under this grinder mentality first approach under Torts . Anthony Duclairs 22g this season , would be a team leader , and 1 more than Bjorkstrand has right now , so let’s dismiss his success as well . Speaking of Bjork, it wasn’t until late last season , nearly 2 yrs after his coach called him out in press , about not checking well enough , that he finally is showing the potential we once thought he had . Now it looks like Torts is doing his number on PLD , and Milano who had 14g in 55 games as a rookie , playing with no confidence because he’s got a coach that doesn’t understand not every player has to be a grinder , appears to be just another wasted draft pick under this dinosaur of a coach . If anyone here thinks that Torts will ever be more than a coach that may squeak his team into the playoffs , I don’t know what to tell you .

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Gee, a coach that holds guys accountable for their play. Maybe they should get a coach that will hug them and hold their hands and tell them everything is ok and we will get them next time.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
As i said , Torts defense force out in full effect . The spin on Karlsson is hilarious 43 g , plus 7 in playoffs for 50g 2 seasons ago , for 78 points in regular season , his high here was 25 points as a checker . Last season he had 24g 32 a . Anyone care to point out what our #2 C has put up past 2 seasons ? 7g and 45 points in last 2 years from Wennberg . The same player that had 13 and 46 has found himself a shell of the potential he once had shown under this grinder mentality first approach under Torts . Anthony Duclairs 22g this season , would be a team leader , and 1 more than Bjorkstrand has right now , so let’s dismiss his success as well . Speaking of Bjork, it wasn’t until late last season , nearly 2 yrs after his coach called him out in press , about not checking well enough , that he finally is showing the potential we once thought he had . Now it looks like Torts is doing his number on PLD , and Milano who had 14g in 55 games as a rookie , playing with no confidence because he’s got a coach that doesn’t understand not every player has to be a grinder , appears to be just another wasted draft pick under this dinosaur of a coach . If anyone here thinks that Torts will ever be more than a coach that may squeak his team into the playoffs , I don’t know what to tell you .
You are clueless.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Karlsson has 37 points in 55 games this season. That's basically two points every three games. We have four guys who do basically the same thing on our roster, and that's on a team that's in the bottom five in scoring. And one of them is a freaking defenseman.

Karlsson got a new lease on life and had a great season. He's nothing special.

Duclair? He's got 37 points as well. Big deal. And Panarin's scoring, but how's his team doing?

We have a coach who preaches a more disciplined, defensive style. Stop the presses.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
When you can’t dispute the facts , and patterns . Nice one bud
What is there to dispute? Karlsson's goal production, 43,24,and 10 this year. Maybe their coach isn't using him right. Duclair's first 33 games, his hat trick against Columbus being game 33, 18-7-25, +2. In the 28 games since, 4-8-12, -12. Maybe their coach isn't using him right. His last 25 games he has 1 empty net goal. One. Man that Torts sure can't judge talent. Duclair is exactly what everyone thinks he is, a guy that constantly switches team because he is someone you can't build around. Bjorkstrand has one less goal in 12 less games. If he wasn't out the rest of the season, he easily passes Duclair. Easily. Since Sonny's 22 point outburst in 55 games, he has played 54 games. He is averaging the same amount of ice time, about 11.5-12 minutes (he averaged 11:49 in the 14 goal monster season, not 8), and is 6-13-19, slightly below his torrid pace in 2017-18. He has taken the same amount of shots (69) since that season, and his shot percentage has dropped from 20.3 in his amazing rookie year, to 8.6 in the games since. In the 3 last seasons, even strength, Columbus has been outscored 55-45 when he in on the ice. There's some facts for you.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Sonny Milano is a borderline NHLer who will be with 1 or 2 more teams and then off to Europe or a career AHLer if he's so inclined.

His 14 goal season reminded me a lot of RJ Umberger's 18 goal season in 13-14. A lot of lucky and oddball goals which weren't likely to be replicated.

If he weren't a first round pick, he would have been in a CBJ fan's rear view mirror a long time ago. He's not a Torts problem. He's a Sonny problem.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Trading Milano is a disaster for this franchise

The guy can't crack an injured lineup. I'm sorry, he's had chance after chance. Game breaking skill means nothing when you're a one man band and can't work with your team.

Do I love the way he was handled? No. I think he was kind of mismanaged. Not just by Torts but by the organization. I do think he can succeed elsewhere, and I hope he does.

Comparing him to Karlsson? Come on now. Let's not be crazy. If it happens, then good on him, and we would have a different conversation about Torts if that happened, but to say its a disaster is a bit much.

Reactions: KCbus

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Torts isnt getting fired til at least several months into the 2020-21 season. /thread :thumbu:

Reactions: Fro

LoveCBJ

Jan 17, 2009
South Carolina
Sonny Milano has 18 points in 46 games. Big whoop. He has more penalty minutes than points.

I swear -- sometimes people get excited over young players for no other reason than because they're young.

He falls down a lot. Not good for a hockey player.

Greggo56

Feb 24, 2020
Sens fan here, comin in peace. Seems like Tortorella doesn’t like skill and tries to squeeze all the life out the skilled players who pass thru. He did the same thing in Tampa. I agree a lot of credit goes to the team for winning as much as it have with so many injuries, but not sure it goes to him. It can’t be fun to play under a coach like that as a young kid being terrified to make a mistake or not dump the puck. His style is outdated. That said, good luck tonite! I think you gonna need it.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sens fan here, comin in peace. Seems like Tortorella doesn’t like skill and tries to squeeze all the life out the skilled players who pass thru. He did the same thing in Tampa. I agree a lot of credit goes to the team for winning as much as it have with so many injuries, but not sure it goes to him. It can’t be fun to play under a coach like that as a young kid being terrified to make a mistake or not dump the puck. His style is outdated. That said, good luck tonite! I think you gonna need it.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad