Fire/Don't Fire/Discuss Torts II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I would argue that drawing talent here is never going to happen under the coach voted least likely you would want to play for. Torts will be canned soon, mark it down.
If he is,he is. Being a coach, he knows, fair or not, it comes with the job. Living in Cleveland my whole life, and seeing the constant coaching changes, it rarely works for the better. What's funny is, I used to defend Bill Belichick when he was our coach, we all know how that turned out, the same way I defend Torts. I wasn't even calling for Madden to get fired. Its not that I like coaches better, I just think blame can really be spread around in most cases. You never know, you might fire the guy that goes on to be the greatest of all time, or you might get the guy like the Blues did last year. But most of the time, you just keep the carosel spinning and develop no continuity, and wind up being mostly mediocre.

Reactions: thebus88

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It's not safe to say. They haven't even taken the PP away from him, I imagine that would come before he was ever close to being fired.

lol, what?

The thread of all threads is back! A 6-8-2 start probably isn't bad enough to start a conversation, however once you start getting in to the mid 20's it has to be. If you aren't above the .500 point bar around game 40, you probably aren't going to make it. You almost certainly will not.

Should be interesting to see how the franchise reacts. We're starting to approach 25% of the season gone and we seem to be heading backwards right now.

Every game we've won, it's been by 1 goal and we've had to score 3 goals to win. We've given 2 goals or less 3 times in 17 games. This player development conversation is funny, that's not even part of the mix yet. We can't stop people from scoring and when you're not exactly lighting it up, it's a recipe for disaster. It's actually amazing we're don't have a worse record.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Bread Man

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yrah we won alot by 1 but also lost alot by 1 soooooooooo that point doesnt work. The team is basically a college team woth a few vets. So f***ing young they are learning. Bemstrom heating up. Let it ride.

Reactions: thebus88

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yrah we won alot by 1 but also lost alot by 1 soooooooooo that point doesnt work. The team is basically a college team woth a few vets. So ****ing young they are learning. Bemstrom heating up. Let it ride.

Sure, we've only lost games by 4-1, 7-2, 7-4, 4-1, 3-0, and 4-2 with a goal differential of -18. I totally see your point now, seeing as we haven't won a single game by more than a goal. We're just living on the edge...

Reactions: GoJackets1

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Sure, we've only lost games by 4-1, 7-2, 7-4, 4-1, 3-0, and 4-2 with a goal differential of -18. I totally see your point now, seeing as we haven't won a single game by more than a goal. We're just living on the edge...
Yeah 6 shitty games by inexperienced goalies lets fire Torts!!!!!!!

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
For most people, firing the coach is the easy way out. Then when said coach goes somewhere else and has success, its the gm's fault and he needs to be fired. I really can't see why people want this guy fired. If they were 1-14-1, I could see people getting mad, but this start is fixable if a couple of players that should be playing better, start playing better.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yeah 6 ****ty games by inexperienced goalies lets fire Torts!!!!!!!

Did I say anything about firing him in my last couple of responses in this thread? Make sure you pick the correct target for your angst. What I stated was a factual analysis, what you are stating seems to be more emotional. You didn't even have the facts correct before you responded.

Cheers.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
For most people, firing the coach is the easy way out. Then when said coach goes somewhere else and has success, its the gm's fault and he needs to be fired. I really can't see why people want this guy fired. If they were 1-14-1, I could see people getting mad, but this start is fixable if a couple of players that should be playing better, start playing better.

Over the last three or so seasons I've addressed in details my issues I have with Torts. I'm not really on the fire Torts bandwagon, but I'm not on the Keep Torts bandwagon either.

The FO will do what the FO does, regardless of any opinions around here. He's probably earned some time to right the ship, for sure, with the FO. Personally I would have moved on, if I were Jarmo, a while ago. I probably wouldn't have given him a new contract.

We're paying the price for the decisions the FO made from the deadline until the start of the season (it's actually longer than that, but those are the most obvious). The question is how long it will take to come out the other side. Might be next game, might be seasons.

Reactions: thebus88 and cslebn

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I must admit to wondering what Shaw would be like as a HC. Not as a commentary on Torts but a general question since his name is often on the list of potential HC candidates by pundits.
Brad Shaw (b.1964) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Shaw hasn't been a head coach since 05-06 with the NYI. He was a head coach for 4 years in the high minors but only posted a winning record once. I think that his name might come up on lists just because of name familiarity among pundits and his NHL asst. coach longevity.

He's 55. Beyond being an interim head coach, I think that his ship has sailed insofar as becoming an NHL head coach is concerned. I do think that if Torts gets canned mid season that Shaw will probably be the fill in for the remainder of the season.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I would argue that drawing talent here is never going to happen under the coach voted least likely you would want to play for. Torts will be canned soon, mark it down.

This is the biggest reason why I don't think he will last.
I do have to wonder if upper management had any conversations with Panarin (potentially Duchene and Dzingel as well) on why they didn't want to stay. In some of Panarin's translated interviews he expressed frustration w Torts. Maybe he didn't want to burn any bridges or maybe he wasn't asked.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I do have to wonder if upper management had any conversations with Panarin (potentially Duchene and Dzingel as well) on why they didn't want to stay. In some of Panarin's translated interviews he expressed frustration w Torts. Maybe he didn't want to burn any bridges or maybe he wasn't asked.

I read every one I could get my hands on, I don't remember anything about that. I thought he usually deflected along the lines of "come on he's not like that" when interviewers tried to bait him into complaining about Torts.

Reactions: Irina

jaxfan45385

Oct 29, 2007

Bread Man we agree on a lot of things, especially when it comes to Torts. You aren't going to change these peoples on this forums mind.

I agree Torts will be gone sometime this year. He is not a Jarmo guy, he was all JD. Jarmo is not going down without hiring "his" guy, whoever that may be.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
That, and the fact he has no clue to the game today, offensively. He has a very poor record of developing young skilled wingers. Bjorkstrand took 2 years to remotely look like the same player. The front office cant afford for the talent to be stunted by poor coaching and utilization. Until we make it deep into the playoffs, or play a style of hockey that offensive players could see themselves excelling here, Columbus will be a tough sell to free agents. And honestly , it shouldn't be. Its a great city that offers a little of everything.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
He lost to Boston the exact same way he did against the Caps the year before. The opposing coaches made adjustments after getting down in the series and Torts had no answer either, losing four straight both times. The not coaching offense, vets over kids, kids in general, all of that, added in with the above is why I want him gone.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Over the last three or so seasons I've addressed in details my issues I have with Torts. I'm not really on the fire Torts bandwagon, but I'm not on the Keep Torts bandwagon either.

The FO will do what the FO does, regardless of any opinions around here. He's probably earned some time to right the ship, for sure, with the FO. Personally I would have moved on, if I were Jarmo, a while ago. I probably wouldn't have given him a new contract.

We're paying the price for the decisions the FO made from the deadline until the start of the season (it's actually longer than that, but those are the most obvious). The question is how long it will take to come out the other side. Might be next game, might be seasons.
I honestly don't care if they fire him or not. I just get tired of when things start slow, or there are some problems, everybody right away wants the coach fired. I didn't have a problem with what they did at the deadline. They took a shot and it didn't work. I just don't like getting into that firing coaches rut. I would rather see them work it out and try to improve now, then blow it all up. A lot of these people just love Milano, what are they gonna do if a new coach comes in and decides he don't like him, or Texier, or Bemstrom, and just starts unloading these guys because they don't fit what he wants to do. Most coaches don't want what other guys leave behind because they want to build their own team. All these people that want Torts gone might not like it when a new guy comes in and changes everything, and starts dumping guys that they like.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Wouldn't the best unemployed coach be the first guy after the worst employed coach?
So do you believe Ralph Krueger is the worst coach in the league then?
Coaches messages get stale, sometimes there needs to be a new voice and of course hard ass coaches have a history of a shorter shelf life. I have many issues with Torts and I dont think hes a bad coach but more importantly I dont believe he is the right coach

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
So do you believe Ralph Krueger is the worst coach in the league then?
Coaches messages get stale, sometimes there needs to be a new voice and of course hard ass coaches have a history of a shorter shelf life. I have many issues with Torts and I dont think hes a bad coach but more importantly I dont believe he is the right coach
I don't know what my comment had to do with the Sabres coach, other than he is from overseas. I was commenting more on the comment because it struck me as funny. No disrespect to iron balls, in fact, it had nothing to do with what he was saying, I just thought maybe the best unemloyed coach is the first guy after the worst employed coach. I get what he was saying though. I have no idea if Krueger is a good or bad coach. I do wonder though if the same analogy goes for overseas coaches as it does for players when people make the excuse about the larger ice surface and getting acclimated to it. An international coach's entire philosophy is based on a larger ice surface. Are people going to be willing to give the coach time to adjust?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Are people going to be willing to give the coach time to adjust?

The big thing would be that this is the angle that the chief culprit in the decline would play. The GM will use a coaching change to deflect blame and then use the adjustment angle to buy himself time-not the new coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad