Fire/Don't Fire/Discuss Torts II

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm just wondering who folks would propose as replacements. My favorite candidate for the last few years is with the Sabres now, so. :dunno:

I'm not in any hurry to replace him, but he's getting close to retirement age and I want a backup plan.
Gallant is probably the best out of work coach at the moment. I cant think of too many appealing names and not too sure who the next expected AHL coach is that teams will want to poach

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Gallant is probably the best out of work coach at the moment. I cant think of too many appealing names and not too sure who the next expected AHL coach is that teams will want to poach
Gallant's been tried here, so I flinch. Even if that was the Doug MacLean days, it makes me hesitate.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don't get why people want Gallant. He hasn't coached a team for 3 straight complete seasons in his career. Twice he was fired during the season while his team had a points percentage higher than .500.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't get why people want Gallant. He hasn't coached a team for 3 straight complete seasons in his career. Twice he was fired during the season while his team had a points percentage higher than .500.

He has a very good coaching record and he's a coach players love to play for.

I think Florida fired him because they were deluded thinking they would be better without him, and they ended up worse.

Vegas, I don't know. The team was killing it in terms of chances and just snakebit, that and MAF was a disaster.

In neither case was his firing merited.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Remember they almost fired him after his first season
And it would have been a dumb mistake considering they literally hired him about 3 weeks before training camp after Roy flaked on them. That team was destined to be terrible no matter who coached it. You could see how well he did with the young players in Cleveland.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
He has a very good coaching record and he's a coach players love to play for.

I think Florida fired him because they were deluded thinking they would be better without him, and they ended up worse.

Vegas, I don't know. The team was killing it in terms of chances and just snakebit, that and MAF was a disaster.

In neither case was his firing merited.
Depends. He has a clear track record now of not finishing his 3rd season. Either he is rubbing someone the wrong way in management and they wash their hands with him, or his heart isn't in it after 2 years and it leads to his firing. He is doing something to merit his firing.

As far as Bednar goes, I would have loved to see him be the coach here. If they were grooming him to be the coach here, they made a mistake by going out and getting an established coach. After the Calder Cup win, it was just a matter of time before he was hired away. They should have just rode out the year with Richards, or promoted an assistant as interim. Torts offered him an assistant coach job, but he wanted a head coach job. But again, the pressure was on from the fan base to become a playoff team, so Jarmo got a solid coach and changed the culture. Now that they are a playoff team, the pressure is on to make deeper runs. If this team stumbles or remains a team that has to fight to the end to make the playoffs, Torts will probably be gone. If they come out firing and coast to the playoffs, he will probably get extended, unless he feels he wants to retire.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Depends. He has a clear track record now of not finishing his 3rd season. Either he is rubbing someone the wrong way in management and they wash their hands with him, or his heart isn't in it after 2 years and it leads to his firing. He is doing something to merit his firing.

As far as Bednar goes, I would have loved to see him be the coach here. If they were grooming him to be the coach here, they made a mistake by going out and getting an established coach. After the Calder Cup win, it was just a matter of time before he was hired away. They should have just rode out the year with Richards, or promoted an assistant as interim. Torts offered him an assistant coach job, but he wanted a head coach job. But again, the pressure was on from the fan base to become a playoff team, so Jarmo got a solid coach and changed the culture. Now that they are a playoff team, the pressure is on to make deeper runs. If this team stumbles or remains a team that has to fight to the end to make the playoffs, Torts will probably be gone. If they come out firing and coast to the playoffs, he will probably get extended, unless he feels he wants to retire.

Re: Gallant - We've got a sample size of three, one of them being Doug Maclean's decision. We don't know that Gallant has done anything to merit his firing. Maybe "stupid people make dumb decisions" is why he was fired.

Re: Bednar - I'm not under the impression that you can keep coaching candidates under wraps for any length of time. He's either your head coach or he's not. Bednar wasn't ours, we didn't lose him. Well the Monsters did. But seriously, most AHL to NHL hires go to different orgs.

Re: Torts - On rare occasions coaches get canned even with their teams playing well. In Torts' case we've got an argument that a legendary hard-ass is not the ideal coach when the team is threatening to fall apart. He might not get extended this summer.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My guess on the situation with Torts is that today's young players don't enjoy playing for him and at best tolerate him. If PLD is traded and either/both of Zach & Seth walk at some point this franchise is toast. I think if I were Jarmo I'd be very hesitant to extend Torts. I have no idea who a new coach should be but I'd look for the up and coming guy who has had success at the AHL level. Now that is pie in the sky thinking and something you can't really argue with but is it realistic? I would take a shot on this path.

If that is successful maybe PLD changes his mind and becomes the true 1C we all dream about. Otherwise the Jackets are back to square one.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Re: Gallant - We've got a sample size of three, one of them being Doug Maclean's decision. We don't know that Gallant has done anything to merit his firing. Maybe "stupid people make dumb decisions" is why he was fired.

Re: Bednar - I'm not under the impression that you can keep coaching candidates under wraps for any length of time. He's either your head coach or he's not. Bednar wasn't ours, we didn't lose him. Well the Monsters did. But seriously, most AHL to NHL hires go to different orgs.

Re: Torts - On rare occasions coaches get canned even with their teams playing well. In Torts' case we've got an argument that a legendary hard-ass is not the ideal coach when the team is threatening to fall apart. He might not get extended this summer.
On Gallant: He has had exactly one less coaching job than Torts, there is a pattern there.

On Bednar: If a coach is in your organization he is yours. They gave him permission to talk to Colorado. They could have denied it as he was still under contract.

On NHL teams promoting theit AHL guys, Sullivan in Pittsburgh coached Boston and Pittsburgh's affiliates before being promoted. Both Detroit and Toronto replaced Babcock with their AHL guys, both coming off Calder cup wins like Bednar.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
My guess on the situation with Torts is that today's young players don't enjoy playing for him and at best tolerate him. If PLD is traded and either/both of Zach & Seth walk at some point this franchise is toast. I think if I were Jarmo I'd be very hesitant to extend Torts. I have no idea who a new coach should be but I'd look for the up and coming guy who has had success at the AHL level. Now that is pie in the sky thinking and something you can't really argue with but is it realistic? I would take a shot on this path.

If that is successful maybe PLD changes his mind and becomes the true 1C we all dream about. Otherwise the Jackets are back to square one.
No one wants to play for Torts, old or young

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I don’t think there’s a player out there that would say off the record that they want to play for torts. None. He’s a duechbag, the NHL loves to retread a one time winner (Ala Hitchcock), yes, he won the cup 14 years ago, old old news, in a different era. Mix him with a front office that has tended to be rough onRfa’s (not saying this was the case with PLD considering they wanted long term) and you have a hard time retaining or attracting top level talent.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The NHL seems to retread one time winners because that is all there is. There are only 2 active coaches that has won more than 1 cup. And Sullivan is probably on his way out if things in Pittsburgh don't improve.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don’t think there’s a player out there that would say off the record that they want to play for torts. None. He’s a duechbag, the NHL loves to retread a one time winner (Ala Hitchcock), yes, he won the cup 14 years ago, old old news, in a different era. Mix him with a front office that has tended to be rough onRfa’s (not saying this was the case with PLD considering they wanted long term) and you have a hard time retaining or attracting top level talent.

It's convenient that you included "off the record" so you can ignore all the evidence to the contrary.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yeah, nevermind the fact that Torts most likely should have won the Jack Adams award for the 3rd time last season. Only 1 other coach has ever done that.

Reactions: thebus88

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, because any player that comes out on the record that they don’t like the coach are doomed from then on

You can say positive stuff, you can say negative stuff, and you can say nothing. I'm talking about the slew of players that have said positive stuff, sounds like you're talking about reasons for players to not say negative stuff.

Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad