Fire Chia Thread V: Manning and Petrovic and Spooner Oh ****!

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
The obc canard that is being tossed around this board right now is so pitiful. Even the biggest proponent of the ‘blame it on the obc theory’ admits that most of the obc are now in made up positions - positions removed from any actual responsibility for team building. People in positions that are ‘made up’, ceremonial in nature, or related to the business side of the organization were not the ones who traded two top picks for Reinhart. Nor did they trade Hall and Eberle for feeble and feebler returns. Nor did they decide to waste cap space or add the motley group of players @redgrant mentions above.

When you hire a respected man like Nicholson to run the show, a respected GM like Chiarelli and a respected coach like McLellan you have effectively sidetracked the obc. At most they are babbling voices in the background - babbling voices one would expect men of the stature of Nicholson, Chiarelli and McLellan to have no trouble ignoring.

At most they're idiots. Katz is just as stupid as Chiarelli, since he has continued to allow him to destroy his hockey team. But the rest of them should have been smart enough to step away, instead of letting their reputations get absolutely tarnished. Mr "I know a thing or 2 about winning", went from a member of the greatest dynasty in hockey history, to a bumbling cartoon.

Since Chiarelli doesn't own the team, it by definition cannot be 100% his fault. Any half decent manager punts him after at least the Spooner trade, but he should have been fired for even suggesting trading for Manning.

space321

May 11, 2011
He took a team with no top 3 defenders and built a team/blue line that went to within one goal of a conference finals and was nominated for best GM of the year...

What are you smoking.

I'm not a Chiarelli supporter but ignoring his success is just blatant hatred with no basis in reality.

The only D on this team even close to being a top 3 defender on other teams is Klefbom. Second closest is Nurse. Both were drafted before Chiarelli got here.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The only D on this team even close to being a top 3 defender on other teams is Klefbom. Second closest is Nurse. Both were drafted before Chiarelli got here.
Sekera was one of those guys before his injury woes.

space321

May 11, 2011
Sekera was one of those guys before his injury woes.

I was talking about the guys on our team now. But yah I guess Sekera was a good signing at the time, can't predict every injury.

But still. 1. Good work Chia.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Larsson is top 3 easily.
"Not even close to", give me a break.
What have you done for me lately in its best form.

space321

May 11, 2011
Larsson is top 3 easily.
"Not even close to", give me a break.
What have you done for me lately in its best form.

lol, the only reason people like you believe Larsson is top 3 "easily" is because we traded Hall for him.

I know it's tough to admit when you're wrong, but that trade was garbage from day 1.

Reactions: StevenF1919

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
lol, the only reason people like you believe Larsson is top 3 "easily" is because we traded Hall for him.

I know it's tough to admit when you're wrong, but that trade was garbage from day 1.
Larsson is a good player though. He’s played badly the last 5-6 games but overall he’s a solid player.

space321

May 11, 2011
Larsson is a good player though. He’s played badly the last 5-6 games but overall he’s a solid player.

He played badly for the past year and a half. He can be good, but his inconsistency makes him not a top 3 on a decent contending team.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.
It’s not true. In Larssons time as an Oiler we’ve badly out scored the opposition with him on the ice at even strength. He’s a good player. Not worth what we paid but a good player none the less.

Reactions: LaGu

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

Pretty sure he could say exactly the same thing to you. Larsson is a good defenseman, not amazing, just a good, hard nosed defenseman. It's not like Hall is lighting the world on fire again this year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klefbom wasn't a top 3 guy until after Chiarelli came along and bolstered the entire blueline. Without Sekera and Larsson, Klefbom well could have ended up like Gilbert, Petry, and Schultz. Drowning against prime competition, heckled and run out of town. Ditto Nurse.

Sekera and Larsson are top 3 defenders easily.

Russell is a very very good #4. Doesn't get enough credit. Probably because he is a Chiarelli acquisition.

The quality and quantity of the defense Chiarelli has brought in has really improved the team and allowed guys like Klefbom and Nurse to develop properly.

Again. Not a Chiarelli supporter but to deny these things seems strange.

As obvious as it is that Chiarelli is currently and overall doing more bad than good anyone being true should also realize Chiarelli has done many good things.

Calling the 2016-2017 nothing but a fluke really doesn't make sense to me.

Or saying it's all McDavid.

The Sekera and Klefbom injuries have had such a serious and blatant effect on the teams effectiveness a blind man can see it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

BS again.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I have seen Larsson play since pre-draft. And yes, oddly enough he was an excellent #2 in NJD 14/15 and 15/16. Similar to how he played in 16/17, a bit better to be honest. Last year no good, this year a bit up and down. That's because he's not a #1 but rather a #2. Put him as the anchor on the first pair and often he'll struggle.

I don't give a rat's culo about the trade. Trades happen, good bad whatever. What is evident though is that many are biased in the exact opposite way than what you descibe. Seeing as we lost the trade some use that to call him bottom pair garbage... The way that the D stabilized after he came is forgotten, the way most of his partners have great years playing with him (and praise him an excellent D partner), etc. Take him out and this already very fragile D core will fall once again.

The last misstake I really hope Chia does not make is trading either Klefbom, Nurse or Larsson. Would be a disaster.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Klefbom wasn't a top 3 guy until after Chiarelli came along and bolstered the entire blueline. Without Sekera and Larsson, Klefbom well could have ended up like Gilbert, Petry, and Schultz. Drowning against prime competition, heckled and run out of town. Ditto Nurse.

Sekera and Larsson are top 3 defenders easily.

Russell is a very very good #4. Doesn't get enough credit. Probably because he is a Chiarelli acquisition.

The quality and quantity of the defense Chiarelli has brought in has really improved the team and allowed guys like Klefbom and Nurse to develop properly.

Again. Not a Chiarelli supporter but to deny these things seems strange.

As obvious as it is that Chiarelli is currently and overall doing more bad than good anyone being true should also realize Chiarelli has done many good things.

Calling the 2016-2017 nothing but a fluke really doesn't make sense to me.

Or saying it's all McDavid.

The Sekera and Klefbom injuries have had such a serious and blatant effect on the teams effectiveness a blind man can see it.

Klefbom hadn't even played a full season here prior to Chia. That's part of the non- sense lie that Chia had nothing when he came here -- he got Klefbom and Nurse which the previous GMs really got no benefit from and 10 million in cap room to sign Sekera and Russell. Chia got to reap the benefits of the Klefbom and Nurse picks.

He has not done many good things. He's squandered getting not only McDavid but basically Draisaitl, Klefbom, and Nurse on top of having Hall, RNH, Eberle, and Schultz and a ton of cap space.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm also so sick of 16-17, at this point if I knew this was how things were going to end up, being in year 4 of the McDavid era with a team that's on pace for 82 whopping points ... I wish 16-17 never even happened.

I wish they missed the playoffs that year, and we didn't have to waste the next two years on definitively figuring out this idiot GM is indeed an idiot. He could've been fired last year instead and we could've gotten on with the process of building an actual good team by now.

It's not like it was some 2006 run anyway, they beat a half crippled San Jose team, whoopity doo.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Flash forward to 2019 and we can't even beat a half crippled Arizona team.

Exactly, here we are basically grovelling on the ground to maybe be the New York Islanders at best, it's pathetic.

I'd rather have missed the playoffs in 16-17 altogether and gotten a shot with a different GM last season if I knew this was how things were going to end up.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Pretty sure he could say exactly the same thing to you. Larsson is a good defenseman, not amazing, just a good, hard nosed defenseman. It's not like Hall is lighting the world on fire again this year.

He's scoring at a 91 point pace, we could use a winger like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad