Fire Chia Thread V: Manning and Petrovic and Spooner Oh ****!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not pining for MacTavish at all, but he must be wondering why the hell Chiarelli still has a job when he's done just as much, if not more damage than he ever did.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chia is not getting fired. He is Nicholson's guy, and Bobby Nick's is an honorary OBC member. Katz doesn't have the balls to go against Gretz.

They can then enjoy working out a trade for McDavid to elsewhere then.

Either hire a better management group or you lose McDavid. There is no "middle" here.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton should start an orange hat movement.
Orange hats with MEGA in blue writing. (Make Edmonton Great Again)
Wear them everywhere until this clown gets fired.
Sell them at cost price outside of the games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton should start an orange hat movement.
Orange hats with MEGA in blue writing. (Make Edmonton Great Again)
Wear them everywhere until this clown gets fired.
Sell them at cost price outside of the games.

Team is bad enough as is, I don't need to be reminded about the clown president.

Just fire this turd GM and move on, thanks Oilers.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Firing this loser will be like putting a band aid on a third degree burn. Nothing changes until Katz is gone or flushes the OBC and keeps his hands off after hiring competent personnel. Katz being gone is the likelier of the two options at this point. :laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Firing this loser will be like putting a band aid on a third degree burn. Nothing changes until Katz is gone or flushes the OBC and keeps his hands off after hiring competent personnel. Katz being gone is the likelier of the two options at this point. :laugh:

Why is it in summer 2017 when most everyone was over the moon with Chiarelli that he got 100% of the credit then?

No one then was saying "well, Lowe should also be given some of that credit too", but now that the team is bad, it can't apparently be mostly Chia.

Seems like a silly double standard to me. He gets 100% of the credit when anything goes remotely good, but can hide behind the "OBC is really at fault" any time things go bad? Lets at least have some consistency.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Why is it in summer 2017 when most everyone was over the moon with Chiarelli that he got 100% of the credit then?

No one then was saying "well, Lowe should also be given some of that credit too", but now that the team is bad, it can't apparently be mostly Chia.

Seems like a silly double standard to me. He gets 100% of the credit when anything goes remotely good, but can hide behind the "OBC is really at fault" any time things go bad? Lets at least have some consistency.

Never said he didn’t need to be fired. Just said that this team will suck ass as long as the OBC is around.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Never said he didn’t need to be fired. Just said that this team will suck ass as long as the OBC is around.

No they won't. They wouldn't suck right now even if Chiarelli did every stupid thing he did but didn't trade Hall. And don't tell me he was forced into every move he made.

McDavid needs a minimal amount of help, it takes the worst GM in the world to build the team that is here today with a player that good. Even Kevin Lowe I would an easy $1000 if given the same pieces and 4 years to work with would have a better team today and Lowe is an idiot himself.

Chia is simply a special breed of suck in a category with Mike Milbury.

They will only suck as bad if the next hire is as bad as Chiarelli, which quite frankly I think it almost difficult to do. Chiarelli is the Michael Jordan of NHL GMing suck since the Seguin trade.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
No they won't. They wouldn't suck right now even if Chiarelli did every stupid thing he did but didn't trade Hall. And don't tell me he was forced into every move he made.

McDavid needs a minimal amount of help, it takes the worst GM in the world to build the team that is here today with a player that good. Even Kevin Lowe I would an easy $1000 if given the same pieces and 4 years to work with would have a better team today and Lowe is an idiot himself.

Chia is simply a special breed of suck in a category with Mike Milbury.

Wait, you’re saying this is a playoff team with Larsson out and Hall in? Lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wait, you’re saying this is a playoff team with Larsson out and Hall in? Lol

Foundationally an intelligent GM would be able to find a Larsson tier defender without selling his pants and underwear. You have Nurse and Klefbom already inherited from the previous admin, so that's two pieces that were always going to grow with the group no matter what.

Which leaves you with a top six of McDavid + RNH on one line and then Hall + Draisaitl on another line.

Do I think that top six is as good as any in the NHL? Yes I do. That's 44/60 minutes a night you should be tilting the ice in your favor every game, leaving a GM with about 18 minutes a night to figure out how to just tread water.

If you're semi-intelligent as a GM you can probably do that as that is a freaking low bar.

And don't tell me about that "yeah but 15-16 season ...". McDavid was hurt for half of it, and wasn't nearly as good of a player then as he is today. Neither was Draisaitl or Klefbom or Nurse. Even RNH is quite frankly a lot better today. That is no small difference.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Foundationally an intelligent GM would be able to find a Larsson tier defender without selling his pants and underwear. You have Nurse and Klefbom already inherited from the previous admin, so that's two pieces that were always going to grow with the group no matter what.

Which leaves you with a top six of McDavid + RNH on one line and then Hall + Draisaitl on another line.

Do I think that top six is as good as any in the NHL? Yes I do. That's 44/60 minutes a night you should be tilting the ice in your favor every game, leaving a GM with about 18 minutes a night to figure out how to just tread water.

If you're semi-intelligent as a GM you can probably do that as that is a freaking low bar.

And don't tell me about that "yeah but 15-16 season ...". McDavid was hurt for half of it, and wasn't nearly as good of a player then as he is today. Neither was Draisaitl or Klefbom or Nurse. Even RNH is quite frankly a lot better today. That is no small difference.

Look, I don’t really disagree. Unfortunately, even if you use the common “Demers instead of Larsson” the team needs another top pair D with Klefbom (ideally one who is better than him but that would cost a fortune in assets and cap). I think Larsson is marginally better than Demers at best (can tread water on the top pair). They also need bottom 6 players that can produce time to time and real goaltenders. That top 6 would only be a start and wouldn’t outscore their problems. It actually is harder to trade for good D than a top 6 winger. Obviously Chiarelli is incapabable of making such a move.

I’m astounded that anyone can defend Katz or the OBC at this point. It’s laughable. Lowe had one good year, then undid every good thing he did in just as much time and continued to squander any and all opportunities. How that garners such goodwill from some is completely mind boggling. The minute Katz bought the team and kept Lowe in a position of power signalled he was nothing more than a jock sniffing loser that doesn’t care about the team or its fans.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Look, I don’t really disagree. Unfortunately, even if you use the common “Demers instead of Larsson” the team needs another top pair D with Klefbom (ideally one who is better than him but that would cost a fortune in assets and cap). I think Larsson is marginally better than Demers at best (can tread water on the top pair). They also need bottom 6 players that can produce time to time and real goaltenders. That top 6 would only be a start and wouldn’t outscore their problems. It actually is harder to trade for good D than a top 6 winger. Obviously Chiarelli is incapabable of making such a move. I’m astounded that anyone can defend Kay or the OBC at this point. It’s laughable. Lowe had one good year. How does that garner such goodwill from some is completely mind boggling to me.

I called Lowe an idiot in that post, lol, so I'm not sure how much goodwill is there.

The narrative that Chiarelli just inherited the same group Tambellini/Mac T had is largely false to be honest.

He got McDavid + Draisaitl + Nurse + Klefbom really, because none of those 4 guys prior to Chia had even played a full season in the NHL and he should have benefitted from that ON TOP of that from all four of those guys being better today than 4 years ago. And Nugent Hopkins also being a late developer and seemingly now only coming into his prime.

Even McDavid alone, as a rookie he was maybe a 30 goal/90 point player had he played the full year, today he is a 45-50 goal/120-130 point range player ... that's a large increase, let alone Draisaitl too.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

This post all day long, every day. The double standards some people operate on are beyond comprehension.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not pining for MacTavish at all, but he must be wondering why the hell Chiarelli still has a job when he's done just as much, if not more damage than he ever did.

MacTavish knows the answer and said it during last Sunday’s broadcast. Loyalty. This team is blindly loyal to a fault.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What double standard? Saying they all need to go from Katz down? :laugh:

No the double standard is that there was no "Lowe must be involved somehow!" theory when things were going good (seemingly) in summer 2017. Then it was all "Chia deserves all the credit in the world!".

Seems pretty suspect to me that he gets all the credit when things go good, but a narrative is being pushed awfully hard that he shouldn't likewise take the same blame when things are bad.

If he made a bad move then it's "well Lowe must be involved, because obviously they interfere", but I never heard that shit in 2017 when Chia was apparently a genius. I don't recall the OBC getting credit for the 16-17 season.

Reactions: harpoon

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
No the double standard is that there was no "Lowe must be involved somehow!" theory when things were going good (seemingly) in summer 2017. Then it was all "Chia deserves all the credit in the world!".

Seems pretty suspect to me that he gets all the credit when things go good, but a narrative is being pushed awfully hard that he shouldn't likewise take the same blame when things are bad.

If he made a bad move then it's "well Lowe must be involved, because obviously they interfere", but I never heard that **** in 2017 when Chia was apparently a genius. I don't recall the OBC getting credit for the 16-17 season.

They’re all trash and it starts from Katz down. End of story.

Reactions: Senor Catface

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What double standard? Saying they all need to go from Katz down? :laugh:
No. Saying ‘look at the great team Chiarelli built in 16/17’ (with nary a mention of the supposed obc cabal that pulls the strings in your imagination). And then once the Vezina level goaltending falls off, and Chiarelli trades most of the talent for pennies on the dollar, it’s all ‘f***ing obc and Katz wrecking the team’.

I have no idea what it will take for some people to realize and admit that Chiarelli has single handedly set the team back at least three seasons. He’s done that all by himself.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, don’t think anyone is defending Chiarelli anymore, what’s the point of this?

The point of it is the misguided POV of "well nothing can ever change cuz Lowe". Which I don't buy.

Even Chiarelli as stupid as he is, if you gave him a magic do-over on just *one* (one) of his bad moves and he could change that, I bet half this board would be falling over themselves in that time line calling him a genius.

That's how low the freaking bar is for this guy, he could make 3 mistakes out of every 4 moves, and if that 4th move was fairly decent, he'd probably have the support of at least half this board.

We'd be hearing a lot of "well Chia did a lot of so-so things, but you gotta give him credit for Barzal in 2015!".

Decisions do matter. It's not a "well nothing matters because I feel hopeless". A fat person can say "well I've tried every diet, nothing works for me, I'm never losing weight". I lock you in a room and limit your calories to 1000 cals a day and your ass is losing weight whether you like it or not or what your story is or what your genetics are.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
No. Saying ‘look at the great team Chiarelli built in 16/17’ (with nary a mention of the supposed obc cabal that pulls the strings in your imagination). And then once the Vezina level goaltending falls off, and Chiarelli trades most of the talent for pennies on the dollar, it’s all ‘****ing obc and Katz wrecking the team’.

I have no idea what it will take for some people to realize and admit that Chiarelli has single handedly set the team back at least three seasons. He’s done that all by himself.

Who the f*** is saying it’s all the OBC? Obviously it’s Chiarelli for the immediate mess but if you’re naive enough to think this team is going anywhere once he’s gone then all the power to you. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad