Fire Chia Thread V: Manning and Petrovic and Spooner Oh ****!

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
No. Saying ‘look at the great team Chiarelli built in 16/17’ (with nary a mention of the supposed obc cabal that pulls the strings in your imagination). And then once the Vezina level goaltending falls off, and Chiarelli trades most of the talent for pennies on the dollar, it’s all ‘****ing obc and Katz wrecking the team’.

I have no idea what it will take for some people to realize and admit that Chiarelli has single handedly set the team back at least three seasons. He’s done that all by himself.

You think I disagree with you. I don’t. Just given the body of work before his arrival I have no faith in anyone else in upper management. This organization is rotten to the core. I’m sorry if you don’t agree. For all of our sakes, I hope I’m wrong and you’re right, that firing Chiarelli will make it all better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You think I disagree with you. I don’t. Just given the body of work before his arrival I have no faith in anyone else in upper management. This organization is rotten to the core. I’m sorry if you don’t agree. For all of our sakes, I hope I’m wrong and you’re right, that firing Chiarelli will make it all better.

If the person making the final decision is making better final decisions, then really nothing else matters.

Like I said with the fat person analogy they can be fat for so long that they lose hope and begin to believe in the mindset of "nothing will ever work for me, it's impossible to lose weight".

Well ... not really. From a purely technical POV, if they started to take in fewer calories then their body was exerting, they would lose weight with time. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

History doesn't define everything, otherwise the Golden State Warriors wouldn't be the dominant pro sports franchise of the current decade, and they quite frankly were worse than the Oilers, they made the playoffs I believe like 1 time in 20 years and they didn't even fire everyone. Their "OBC" type guy was Don Nelson, and they went out and drafted Steph Curry with a 7th overall pick anyway, which forever change the franchise trajectory.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Who the **** is saying it’s all the OBC?
Ive posted it before and Chiarelli apologists (and I admit I never took you for one until this moment) have ignored. Daryl Katz, the owner of the team has said repeatedly that the lineup is 100% Chiarelli’s responsibility. I guess some folks feel they know the corporate structure better than the owner. Good for you, I guess?
Obviously it’s Chiarelli for the immediate mess but if you’re naive enough to think this team is going anywhere once he’s gone then all the power to you. Lol
You think it bothers me to be called ‘naive’, a ‘sophist’ with an ‘lol’ tacked on for good measure? I consider it an honour to be so labelled by any person who would allow Peter Chiarelli to squirm out of even a shred of blame for this shit show. You will be proven wrong, once again, as soon as Katz sucks up the sack to fire the architect of this debacle.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Ive posted it before and Chiarelli apologists (and I admit I never took you for one until this moment) have ignored. Daryl Katz, the owner of the team has said repeatedly that the lineup is 100% Chiarelli’s responsibility. I guess some folks feel they know the corporate structure better than the owner. Good for you, I guess? You think it bothers me to be called ‘naive’, a ‘sophist’ with an ‘lol’ tacked on for good measure? I consider it an honour to be so labelled by any person who would allow Peter Chiarelli to squirm out of even a shred of blame for this **** show. You will be proven wrong, once again, as soon as Katz sucks up the sack to fire the architect of this debacle.

Never once said Chiarelli wasn’t responsible. Just said he’s not the only problem with this organization. If that’s you’re definition of being a Chiarelli apologist, be my guest.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Never once said Chiarelli wasn’t responsible. Just said he’s not the only problem with this organization. If you interpret that as being a Chiarelli apologist, be my guest.
Brodziak
Kassian
Reider
Rattie
Petrovic
Manning
Spooner
Gravel
Lucic

These are all players chairelli has acquired. This team is not good enough and it's exclusively on him.

No Kevin Lowe didn't say go trade for Spooner and Lucic.

Fire chairelli right now.
I’ll just drop this astute quote from @redgrant here for you to think about.

Reactions: smitty10

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Never once said Chiarelli wasn’t responsible. Just said he’s not the only problem with this organization. If you interpret that as being a Chiarelli apologist, be my guest.

Still the notion that nothing can change is false IMO.

Even look at the Bruins that Chiarelli falsely gets credit for.

Jeff Gorton was their GM for like 4 months in an interim role. 4 months isn't a lot. What can you do in 4 months?

In 4 months he oversaw a draft that saw them take Phil Kessel, Brad Marchand, and Milan Lucic. He also then acquired Tukka Rask the same week in 2006.

Arguably in 4 months he may have set that team up for 10+ years.

Don't tell me a GM can't make a difference.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I’ll just drop this astute quote from @redgrant here for you to think about.

It’s an abortion of a roster and he’s 100% responsible. But stopping at him is myopic. The geniuses that hired this moron and the morons before him will continue to sewer the organization and will take credit for success if or when they hire someone competent that can build a winning team. Let’s all hope this broken clock is right while McDavid is still around.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Still the notion that nothing can change is false IMO.

Even look at the Bruins that Chiarelli falsely gets credit for.

Jeff Gorton was their GM for like 4 months in an interim role. 4 months isn't a lot. What can you do in 4 months?

In 4 months he oversaw a draft that saw them take Phil Kessel, Brad Marchand, and Milan Lucic. He also then acquired Tukka Rask the same week in 2006.

Arguably in 4 months he may have set that team up for 10+ years.

Don't tell me a GM can't make a difference.

It can, and I hold out hope. I just don’t trust the guys that hired Chiarelli to hire someone who is good. They haven’t proven that they can.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Why isn't Chia fired yet? Who is the one holding back from firing this sorry sack of crap of a GM? What magical miracle ability in making amazing trades that will turn this team around do they see in him that no one else does? How can anyone stand behind this man any longer? What the hell is going on in Oiler upper management? Launch this turd into the sun already, for Christ's sake.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It’s an abortion of a roster and he’s 100% responsible. But stopping at him is myopic. The geniuses that hired this moron and the morons before him will continue to sewer the organization and will take credit for success if or when they hire someone competent that can build a winning team. Let’s all hope this broken clock is right while McDavid is still around.
The obc canard that is being tossed around this board right now is so pitiful. Even the biggest proponent of the ‘blame it on the obc theory’ admits that most of the obc are now in made up positions - positions removed from any actual responsibility for team building. People in positions that are ‘made up’, ceremonial in nature, or related to the business side of the organization were not the ones who traded two top picks for Reinhart. Nor did they trade Hall and Eberle for feeble and feebler returns. Nor did they decide to waste cap space or add the motley group of players @redgrant mentions above.

When you hire a respected man like Nicholson to run the show, a respected GM like Chiarelli and a respected coach like McLellan you have effectively sidetracked the obc. At most they are babbling voices in the background - babbling voices one would expect men of the stature of Nicholson, Chiarelli and McLellan to have no trouble ignoring.

Reactions: frag2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The obc canard that is being tossed around this board right now is so pitiful. Even the biggest proponent of the ‘blame it on the obc theory’ admits that most of the obc is in made up positions - positions removed from any actual responsibility for team building. People in positions that are ‘made up’, ceremonial in nature, or related to the business side of the organization were not the ones who traded two top picks for Reinhart. Nor did they trade Hall and Eberle for feeble and feebler returns. Nor did they decide to waste cap space or add the motley group of players @redgrant mentions above.

When you hire a respected man like Nicholson to run the show, a respected GM like Chiarelli and a respected coach like McLellan you have effectively sidetracked the obc. At most they are babbling voices in the background - babbling voices one would expect men of the stature of Nicholson, Chiarelli and McLellan to have no trouble ignoring.

Yeah I agree with that.

There's no reason given their hype that Nicholson + Chiarelli shouldn't at minimum be as good as Brad Treliving say ... but they are quite frankly just dumber and there were troubling signs with Chiarelli in his late tenure with Boston too, so it's not like this came out of no where.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have been travelling overseas and just listened to the Friday segment podcast of Oilers Now with Friedman while on a short flight — did hear it right that he is calling for continuity in the management position?!?

Seriously?

I agreed with that position last year but it’s silly to flog that dead horse any longer when it’s patently obvious that Chiarelli and his team of OBC pretend position pals and useless pro scouts keep degrading this team by the month, and putting the blame at the feet of the players to “play better”.

Sounds like Bob has his marching orders to protect the flanks of the GM and the OBC.

Either way the fact we’ve had 8 head coaches and 4 GMs in 11 years is proof positive that the problem starts at the top. Ownership is tone deaf and stubbornly aloof that his batch of cronies can’t manage their way out of a wet paper bag.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stauffer has his bills to pay and knows where his paycheques are coming from. He's never going to outright say a GM or coach should be fired. He's a company man.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm willing to bet that Chia is gone this off season regardless of if we make the playoffs or not. If we do miss the playoffs this season then I think we'll see a lot of the OBC let go as well.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm willing to bet that Chia is gone this off season regardless of if we make the playoffs or not. If we do miss the playoffs this season then I think we'll see a lot of the OBC let go as well.

Chia better get fired regardless of what happens this season. His inability to take off his 2011 Bruins colored glasses and player assessment is an epic fail.

On a side note - some of the comments in HFOil about getting rid of OBC and Katz are hilarious. OBC? Sure. Katz? How the hell do you expect to 'get rid' of Katz???

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The obc canard that is being tossed around this board right now is so pitiful. Even the biggest proponent of the ‘blame it on the obc theory’ admits that most of the obc are now in made up positions - positions removed from any actual responsibility for team building. People in positions that are ‘made up’, ceremonial in nature, or related to the business side of the organization were not the ones who traded two top picks for Reinhart. Nor did they trade Hall and Eberle for feeble and feebler returns. Nor did they decide to waste cap space or add the motley group of players @redgrant mentions above.

You don’t think Lowe, MacT and Howsen are in every meeting related to hockey ops?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Chia better get fired regardless of what happens this season. His inability to take off his 2011 Bruins colored glasses and player assessment is an epic fail.

On a side note - some of the comments in HFOil about getting rid of OBC and Katz are hilarious. OBC? Sure. Katz? How the hell do you expect to 'get rid' of Katz???

Yeah, I don't know how you can fire an owner.

The only thing the Board of Governors could maybe do is pressure him to make changes, but they're not gonna do that either. 31 other teams are waiting for them to flail and flounder long enough for McDavid and Draisaitl to demand a trade out.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Why isn't Chia fired yet? Who is the one holding back from firing this sorry sack of crap of a GM? What magical miracle ability in making amazing trades that will turn this team around do they see in him that no one else does? How can anyone stand behind this man any longer? What the hell is going on in Oiler upper management? Launch this turd into the sun already, for Christ's sake.
I suspect Katz promised him the season to try and get into the playoffs and if he failed he advised him he'd be fired, I'm thinking the only thing that could force it to occur earlier is pronounced public outrage or disastrously awful performances multiple games in a row.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We just need to find 20-30 aspiring actresses that are willing to have a "private meeting" with him and then turn around and #metoo him. $50 million per lawsuit and bam, we got ourselves a new EIG.... and might I add a sexier EIG (with all due respect to Cal Nichols, you know that guy works out).

Katz is far from the problem. We're actually pretty lucky to have an owner like him. He's willing to spend to the cap and spend a lot on hockey operations. His downfall is his loyalty to ex Oilers but that may be changing soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad