Fire Babcock Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would really like to see a new coach come in and instill a fresh attitude, fresh system, and fresh message to this team.

It's risky, but I could really see it working wonders. Think Blashill is the man for the job.

He knows the kids coming up through the system, the transition is coming soon, and he may re-energize the locker room. I'd love to see that happen by next year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would really like to see a new coach come in and instill a fresh attitude, fresh system, and fresh message to this team.

It's risky, but I could really see it working wonders. Think Blashill is the man for the job.

He knows the kids coming up through the system, the transition is coming soon, and he may re-energize the locker room. I'd love to see that happen by next year.

Wait until the summer of 2015, when Babcock's contract will end. Then that swap happens.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wait until the summer of 2015, when Babcock's contract will end. Then that swap happens.

1. If you can't tell by now, I'm not the best "waiter" in the world hahaha
2. I reaaaaaally doubt that Blashill makes it until the summer of 2015 without getting offered a good head coaching gig.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

if griffs succeed this year, some team might take him in next summer. or during the 14-15 season. he would need to last kind of long time; recent ahl successes, cooper and eakins were taken earlier. i'd actually be very surprised if griffs do great and no team doesn't want him.

but blashill may want to stay with wings organization.

but i'm not really that worried about that. there are plenty of good coaches available; almost all the time. just have to find the right one.

Last edited:

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
These last two seasons have shown me how insane Red Wings fans can be. There's like 20 NHL teams who would kill to have our roster/coaching/staff and we complain about them like we haven't made the playoffs in 22 years

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
These last two seasons have shown me how insane Red Wings fans can be. There's like 20 NHL teams who would kill to have our roster/coaching/staff and we complain about them like we haven't made the playoffs in 22 years

there's some/lot truth to that but

other teams fans obviously don't follow wings as closely to know the situation where the wings are in

and the issue for me is that they have not handled the team the same way that they have for 22 yr playoff run.. drafting/development, fa/trade pickups.. they haven't been that solid lately.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
if griffs succeed this year, some team might take him in next summer. or during the 15-15 season. he would need to last kind of long time; recent ahl successes, cooper and eakins were taken earlier. i'd actually be very surprised if griffs do great and no team doesn't want him.

but blashill may want to stay with wings organization.

but i'm not really that worried about that. there are plenty of good coaches available; almost all the time. just have to find the right one.
I envision Gerard Gallant the next coach of drw, but Babs is all like "we're done when I say we're done"...

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Babcock probably won't get another contract with the Wings.

It really doesn't have anything to do with his ability. We all know he's a phenomenal coach, but over time, coaches become less effective unless there is massive roster turnover. We haven't really had that. The types of players we've received are different than the ones we've lost, and his system doesn't seem to handle that well. I could be totally wrong, but I feel like, with a few exceptions, coaches at the NHL level work with what they have. But Babcock seems to be coaching like a minor league coach in the sense that he's trying to shape and change players into something they're not. He wants them to fit a role that maybe they're not capable of playing. His philosophy doesn't seem to mesh well with Holland's.

So again, it's not that Babs is a bad coach, but maybe his time is running out with the Wings, unless Holland undertakes a massive roster change.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I would like an answer as to how Babcock and his staff can continually say they need to get the PP going and yet run out the same net-front presence/umbrella PP they have been running (and sucking at) for the past 4 years? Seriously, the personnel changes (somewhat), the Asst Coaches change, yet the same looking PP and the same ****** results continue year after year after year. It's numbingly frustrating.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I would like an answer as to how Babcock and his staff can continually say they need to get the PP going and yet run out the same net-front presence/umbrella PP they have been running (and sucking at) for the past 4 years? Seriously, the personnel changes (somewhat), the Asst Coaches change, yet the same looking PP and the same ****** results continue year after year after year. It's numbingly frustrating.

i agree pp needs some new things but from 10-13, wings pp scored 4th most goals. 7 behind leader in vancouver. and goals for per pp time was 5th best during that span.

lack of rh shots. that is one big need.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

I can see resorting to it in the playoffs (the same old pp). But with the personnel on this team we should have stopped running it 2 years ago. I would like to see sammy and alfie not be on the point either as well. Sammy shouldn't touch pp time. Alfie would imho be better suited to playing on his off wing for pp purposes so he can slide around for one timers from cross ice passing because he is really outside of tatar the only forward who doesn't just robo stare puck watch when either z or d our carrying the puck.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I can see resorting to it in the playoffs (the same old pp). But with the personnel on this team we should have stopped running it 2 years ago. I would like to see sammy and alfie not be on the point either as well. Sammy shouldn't touch pp time. Alfie would imho be better suited to playing on his off wing for pp purposes so he can slide around for one timers from cross ice passing because he is really outside of tatar the only forward who doesn't just robo stare puck watch when either z or d our carrying the puck.

The number of times I see our players staying within 5 feet of their initial positions once they set up in the zone is disgusting. Even Z/D sometimes do it. A stationary power play is pointless in more ways than one.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Now that Babcock has Nyquist and Tatar on the roster full-time it will be a lot easier to evaluate how he's doing.

Both in top9? Cleary on 4th with very limited ice?

90% of our problems with Babs just disappeared.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Most of my quarrels with Babcock are gone, I just wish he'd give Weiss a better opportunity to get going and scratch Cleary. When Dekeyser is back, hopefully we'll see Quincey scratched. With Tatar and Nyquist in the top 9, I can't complain as much.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
it is just doesn't make cense . We don't aloud to criticize Cleary and Sammy , but still talking about firing probably best coach ever

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I think they'll put Weiss on Pavel's wing when he comes back. For now, its kind of hard to slot Weiss anywhere else b/c he needs to play center and our other lines are clicking so well that Babcock would be stupid to break them up.

If Weiss ever gets going like he had in the past, this becomes a much more dangerous team especially with Helm, Tatar and Nyquist now firmly in the top 9 and making significant impacts. Other than that, they really need to find another top 4 defenseman and then they'd be really tough to beat.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Cleary still plays every game and Smith is still with Quincey. PP still sucks for the most part. But things are better now.

Quincey's gotta be paired with someone, Smith has the short straw. Hopefully Quincey is benched when DeKeyser's back. He's been playing better the last few games but so has the entire team. I think Lashoff is better, or at least more dependable, at this point.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Bowman got lucky with money owners spend on players . He coached great teams with great players . It is different hockey now , my friend

He's hardly the greatest coach ever, come on now. He's only been an NHL coach for about a decade and hardly has the resume of guys like Arbour, Bowman, and Shero. Bowman still got results even from less stacked teams like the late 60's Blues. This is like saying Crosby is better than Gretzky because it's different hockey now.

Zetterbergs Beard

Red Wins fan
May 20, 2013
Vancouver, BC
pp is producing 5th most goals per ice time as of now. 6th and 10 in fenwick and corsi.

wings have 99 problems but pp isn't one of them.

Now with Cleary and Samuelsson actually down to the 4th line (waiting for Datsyuk!), and the general play of all the other forwards, I'd say a majority of the 99 problems are gone.

Yeah, yeah, Babcock's no Bowman but I think he's better than the best available replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad