Fire Babcock Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Do we though?

Z? Dats? Alfie? Franzen? They're not what I'd call undersized. Tatar, sure...but one player is "too much" ?

I don't see it.

And Tatar doesn't play undersized. I don't think "grit and size" is necessarily the key here. We need players who can play hockey more than ever. If they're gritty and big, great, but priority has to go for scoring goals and playing defense.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
But what Holland did to this roster in terms of roster spots, and cap issues, is flat out inexcusable. The Sammy signing, Cleary signing, and Quincey for a 1st rounder are huge gaffes. Absolutely comical. So between the two of them, they're slipping badly.

I agree with the aformentions not quoted part about him trying to play "big" players on top scoring lines. I would like to play to our strengths. Small, skilled forwards. Play a skill game. That is the only way we can DOMINATE. Else small forwards who are sounds positionally with a few big forwards mixed in cant work. I mean just read that sentence again, and you realize that is what we are doing.

Tatar and Nyquist (Brunner, Flip, hudler in the past) are the kind of players we have/need to play DRW hockey of puck possession and scoring. Our team doesn't fight. Our team doesn't hit to make offensive chances because they do not NEED to. Most teams don't run a 3rd check line and a 4th energy line because that is the way to win... they do this because they don't have enough skill on their teams to do scoring lines on 3 or 4. With the way we have drafted and signed free agents. We should be as close as any other team to having the most scorers possible. If we are too small and get injured so be it, but that is the risk to needed to be taken to dominate.

In defense of Holland. At the time Sammy was looked to provide decent offense. And Quincey was a needed replacement on D due to retirements and young kids they didn't think were ready.

At the time... I was ok with it.

But now we know what we have in Sammy, time to fix the mistake and get rid of him. I mean there is a 3Million dollar player in the press box for several days now, and when he was in , he was on the 4th line. That is a waste. Dump the player asap.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
By NHL standards its the coach that coaches the worst team from the previous season and makes the playoffs.

So that's why Patty Roy is going to win the Jack Adams.

This.

Pretty much spot on. Even though they wont say much about the fact Nathan MacKinnon is playing well for them. He might be the hurdle needed to finally drive that roster to success.

But to say the coach has NOTHING to do with the success would also be wrong. Sometimes you simply get praised for being in the right situation at the right time, plus a little change done by yourself. That is what I see Roy has done in Colorado.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Holland putting Ericsson on long term IR to make room for Helm. The guy is absolutely terrified of trading a roster player. Unbelievable.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
I check in for the first time in quite a while and I see this thread. Really? Who is available that is better than Babcock?

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
I check in for the first time in quite a while and I see this thread. Really? Who is available that is better than Babcock?

"Better"? Probably nobody. That certainly doesn't mean his style has become stale. Give me Blashill, hell, I would prefer Nill/Blashill > Holland/Babcock

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Anyone that will accurately assess player performance no matter age or nationality. Also someone with a fresh voice that some players on long term contracts may not hate as well as a PP guru.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its time for a change at some level of the organization. Its tough to pinpoint what is wrong but the team is going in the wrong direction. Resigning Cleary has me questioning their sanity actually. You have holland signing him and babcock rotinely playing in key situations so its tough not to blame them both. I've never seen a front so united against a roster and line combinations. We are not GM's or NHL coaches and have little knowledge inside the lockerroom. But so many people seeing the same exact flaws has to count for something and many of these flaws were self inflicted by management.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm in full agreement. But here's the kicker. Does Cleary get an invite?

Cleary wouldn't get invited to play for Newfoundland Labrador if they were doing a hockey province tournament in Canada at this point.:laugh:

Not even with Babcock and Holland in the committee to sing his praises would that help him, the other guys in the room will just death stare them until they get to bring up their next player.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I'm not so sure. Babcock has addressed some of the major problems we had with him earlier.

- Tatar is now a roster regular and is getting some quality minutes on occasion (would rather it be more often, though)

- Cleary is now mostly getting bottom six, even 4th line minutes and use.

- He has been very consistent in keeping Dats and Z together this season.

Obviously we can still gripe about certain choices Babcock makes but I'm leaning way more towards blaming Holland right now. Until Holland gets Babcock the personnel to play a skilled, puck possession game (available within the organization mostly), I'm going to give Babcock a little more benefit of the doubt.

I get the impression Babcock tailors his coaching style and strategy based on the players available to him. If this roster was packed with the skill and talent it could be, they'd be playing with more of the style we've become accustomed to the past couple decades (including many years under Babcock).

tldr DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE HOLLAND!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
- Tatar is now a roster regular and is getting some quality minutes on occasion (would rather it be more often, though)
Tatar was going to be benched tonight but they ended up sending Glendening down.

Detroit Sports*

Yeah, and he ended up playing on the 2nd line. Cleary on the 4th, I think. Tatar's a regular now.

medium_080919-ap-mike-babcock-red-wings-laughing.jpg

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
I have lost almost all belief in the fact that we will win another championship under Realgud's leadership. Time to hand the keys to Blashill.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I'm leaning way more towards blaming Holland right now. Until Holland gets Babcock the personnel to play a skilled, puck possession game (available within the organization mostly), I'm going to give Babcock a little more benefit of the doubt.

I don't understand. Babcock has been phasing out the skilled puck possession game for years. He ran one of our most skilled guys, and most puck possession dependent guys, out of town. Twice.

Skilled puck possession is Hollands calling card, and the depth was in place to continue with that philosophy in Babcocks first few years. Babcock has been the one to continually emphasize a simpler and stricter system, and our attack has been getting progressively more dull as a result.

Holland didn't fail to get Babcock skilled players.

I get the impression Babcock tailors his coaching style and strategy based on the players available to him.

I believe the opposite to be the case.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tatar was going to be benched tonight but they ended up sending Glendening down.

This is ********.

They KNEW ALL THE TIME, that Tatar is going to play, because Ericsson is coming back from LTIR. 13 forwards in game day roster and one is injured (Weiss).

Eaves was waived, and because of the cap problems, Glendening has to be demoted.

Tatar was just off the practise lines. It has never meant that you don't belong in the game-day playing roster.

Roy S

May 16, 2009

That was never going to happen for last night's game. In order to fit Ericsson on the roster, they could only have 13 forwards up (Glendening is only up today b/c of a roster emergency due to Alfie's short-term injury) and Weiss was injured. Tatar was one of 12 healthy forwards and was a lock to be in the lineup regardless what the practice lines or what Babcock may have told reporters. It could have very well just been a way to motivate Tatar b/c he was playing anyway. He hasn't been scratched in a long time now.

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
I'm starting to think the players, even the core veterans, aren't responding to Babcock anymore. He doesn't seem capable of being able to get the most out of our players anymore. He's still a great coach, and will most likely go somewhere else and be very successful, but I feel sooner rather later his time here will be up.

Get Blashy in there, a new face and a new message, and a guy familiar with our young players that also runs a similar system in GR. Also a guy that doesn't obviously favor veteran players for no real reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad