Fire Babcock Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Of course the "Fire the coach" thread's got a lot less griping in it now that the team is probably the strongest we've seen them all year :) Hope it stays like this.

My biggest concern was that Babcock was trying to impose a "system" of defensive, grinder hockey, regardless of who his personnel was.

But I have hope now that his system is more of a reflection on what type of players he has to work with VS his preferred "brand of hockey". For the vast majority of this season, it did not appear that way at all.

Now that we have more speed and skill in the line-up, we look like a much different team. We're scoring goals. Our grinders are playing where they should be. Our skilled guys are playing where they should be. Babcock is doing the things, for the most part, that we all wanted him to do months ago.

But for now, the team looks good. When Danny and Pavel back, we have all the pieces (coach included) to be a top team in the East. I'd like to see the goalie situation stabilize itself, one way or the other. And the team stay healthy.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He's hardly the greatest coach ever, come on now. He's only been an NHL coach for about a decade and hardly has the resume of guys like Arbour, Bowman, and Shero. Bowman still got results even from less stacked teams like the late 60's Blues. This is like saying Crosby is better than Gretzky because it's different hockey now.

not now , maybe in the future , it possible

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
I blame Holland far more than Babcock. Nyquist is evidence of that right there... He keeps Gus locked away in GR for what exactly? So we can have Cleary on the team?! :laugh:

Holland has saddled Babs with player after player that the coach didn't even want to use, and has completely struck out on moving anyone.

The only real thing I blame Babs for is Quincey. The amount of ice time he's given is mind-boggling. (But once again, the fact he's even here can be attributed to Holland.)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I blame Holland far more than Babcock. Nyquist is evidence of that right there... He keeps Gus locked away in GR for what exactly? So we can have Cleary on the team?! :laugh:

Holland has saddled Babs with player after player that the coach didn't even want to use, and has completely struck out on moving anyone.

The only real thing I blame Babs for is Quincey. The amount of ice time he's given is mind-boggling. (But once again, the fact he's even here can be attributed to Holland.)

This is confusing. Because if anything, it should be switched.

Babcock *wanted* Cleary back. He has said it over and over, his use of Cleary backed that up. Until very recently, Cleary was given every opportunity to succeed. It was only after 20 games of terribleness that Cleary was finally, and hopefully permanently, demoted to the 4th line. Holland "saddled" Babs with a player he desperately wanted back. That doesn't absolve Holland. A GM is the boss. He needs to be able to tell a coach "No, that player doesn't fit, can't play, and we've got too many forwards anyway."

But Quincey, that's almost entirely on Holland. He traded the first. He re-signed him. Smith and Kindl have had some mighty big struggles. Lashoff is okay, but he's clearly on the outside looking in when everyone is healthy. Q is going to play big minutes just by default in that lineup.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This is confusing. Because if anything, it should be switched.

Babcock *wanted* Cleary back. He has said it over and over, his use of Cleary backed that up. Until very recently, Cleary was given every opportunity to succeed. It was only after 20 games of terribleness that Cleary was finally, and hopefully permanently, demoted to the 4th line. Holland "saddled" Babs with a player he desperately wanted back. That doesn't absolve Holland. A GM is the boss. He needs to be able to tell a coach "No, that player doesn't fit, can't play, and we've got too many forwards anyway."

But Quincey, that's almost entirely on Holland. He traded the first. He re-signed him. Smith and Kindl have had some mighty big struggles. Lashoff is okay, but he's clearly on the outside looking in when everyone is healthy. Q is going to play big minutes just by default in that lineup.

Flowah, I get this argument, but just like everything in hockey, one move doesn't cost a game and one player a coach wanted wasn't the only block to Nyquist.

Nyquist was blocked because of Eaves, because of Tootoo, because of Samuelsson, because of Bertuzzi. He was blocked because Holland never had any intention to make room for him.

So yeah, Babcock wanted Cleary back even though Cleary sucks. But even with Cleary here, Nyquist instantly went into the top 6 when he got called up. Has Holland done his job better, Cleary probably never sees the top 6 last season or this season. Or maybe he does, regardless.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Flowah, I get this argument, but just like everything in hockey, one move doesn't cost a game and one player a coach wanted wasn't the only block to Nyquist.

Nyquist was blocked because of Eaves, because of Tootoo, because of Samuelsson, because of Bertuzzi. He was blocked because Holland never had any intention to make room for him.

So yeah, Babcock wanted Cleary back even though Cleary sucks. But even with Cleary here, Nyquist instantly went into the top 6 when he got called up. Has Holland done his job better, Cleary probably never sees the top 6 last season or this season. Or maybe he does, regardless.

Eaves and Tootoo are more serviceable then Cleary though and we're already signed. To go out in late August and sign him was crazy

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Eaves and Tootoo are more serviceable then Cleary though and we're already signed. To go out in late August and sign him was crazy

We had some roster space problems last year that were masked by the number of injuries in a short season, though. The roster crunch this season, was in the making for a few years as Holland signed guys and signed guys, but never shuffled anyone off to balance the lineup and maintain some form of flexibility. Cleary broke the back of that camel, but none of the straws that led up to were anything special.

Dustin16182

Jun 30, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Not saying he should be fired, but based off of interviews I have seen during this difficult time, does anyone else feel like babcock isn't holding some players accountable for their mistakes? Heck, is he even being held accountable? It doesnt feel like there is much urgency right now considering that most of us realize these losses will come back to bite us come march and april.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That down turn was created by roster and line combo decisions that would be plainly obvious as epic mistakes to even the most junior hockey minds. Now after a few wins that is all forgiven aye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad