Fire AV, Fire Sather. This is a bad hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
If you look across the league there's lots of teams having similar problems. Only thing that really makes the Rangers look any different is the big losses against Anaheim and San Jose. Still, those are two good teams from an opposing conference and a win or loss is still a win or loss no matter the goal differential. There's no extra points the more someone gets beat...

For the record I think essentially swapping Gaborik, Anisimov, and Dubinsky for Nash, Beassard, Moore, and Dorsett was a mistake but practically every Rangers fan was happy with it at the time
and regardless that doesn't change what the situation is now.

The problem with the Nash trade is it only made sense if he was being added to Gaborik, not instead of. Exchanging one for another left the Rangers' offense in the same place it was during the 11-12 season. Sather either got the cap math wrong or more likely thought that Nash is a major upgrade over the 11-12 version of Gaborik. Capable of carrying this team to a Cup as its sole huge offensive weapon. Wrong as usual.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Woof... glad I didn't watch this one last night boys.. things are not pretty right now.

That said, I don't really think it's fair to get on AV's case yet. My belief is as it has been that the onus is on the players to show that they know how to play hockey. I don't care what kind of system the coach wants you to play... it's still on the players to either implement that system or do their own thing cohesively as a unit. It's hockey. It's a sport they've been playing since they were in the single-digits age-wise. Hockey is hockey and when it comes to pros they know what they should be doing to win. Our line-up just isn't that skilled and this is what happens when our "great" defense and (proven) world-class goal-tender falter.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Look I'm not calling for anyone's head (yet - other than Sather who should have been fired 5 years ago) but losing the way they have and looking as bad as they have is "that bad". Absolute disgrace. Mental just as much if not more so than physical.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Axel Fant-Eldh ‏@AxelFantEldh 2m

The Rangers' 5v5 Close FF% 2012-13: 54.0% (5th). 2013-14: 38.5% (30th). Small sample I know, but this is getting unwatchable.

There is very little that makes sense in how that drop has occurred, but it is definitely the cause of these lopsided scores.

When your 5v5 close FF% is below 45% you're going to get your ass handed to you on a nightly basis, ours is below 40%.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This board is too funny.

When things are going well in the off-season:

"You can really see Jeff Gorton starting to take the reigns in the front office!"

When thins are going poorly during the season:

"Fire Sather! rabble, rabble, rabble"

Can't have it both ways, fellas.

Still not extremely worried yet. New system. New coach. A lot of new faces. Nine game road trip to start the season not including how long we were on the road during the preseason. Haven't had a full top-6 in the lineup yet.

If they're still this bad in late November, I'm down for the fail train. But I'm gonna give it a little more time.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
People realize that '11-'12 was like a perfect storm for this team right? They overachieved big time and only made it to the ECF.

Everyone acts like they actually ****ing won something.

This board is too funny.

When things are going well in the off-season:

"You can really see Jeff Gorton starting to take the reigns in the front office!"

When thins are going poorly during the season:

"Fire Sather! rabble, rabble, rabble"

Can't have it both ways, fellas.

Still not extremely worried yet. New system. New coach. A lot of new faces. Nine game road trip to start the season not including how long we were on the road during the preseason. Haven't had a full top-6 in the lineup yet.

If they're still this bad in late November, I'm down for the fail train. But I'm gonna give it a little more time.

You can have it whatever way you want when your head is firmly planted in your ass. Which as we know is pretty common around here.

Tim725

Sep 19, 2013
I'm looking at it like this.. We thought a strength would be the top 6 D... And ALL of them have been brutal so far.. Its been a long preseason and road trip so far so HOPEFULLY they are just home sick. Not going to judge this team until they get a few home games under their belt.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
fire AV? lol
This is a personnel issue.

This team went downhill when we flushed away our depth for Rick Nash, a born loser. We further cemented it when we traded Gaborik.
This is a firesale worthy team.

Trade Nash while he still has value
Trade Lundqvist before he leaves
Trade Staal to the Canes, Trade Girardi
Buyout Richards next year
Trade anyone over 26..

Rebuild this thing...

There's a lot more truth to this than I'd like to admit. A small part of me was disgusted when we traded away a lot of our own homegrown depth for guys like Nash, Brassard, Dorsett, etc. To be honest, I don't see any of those guys as major upgrades over the guys they replaced. It was a marginal upgrade at best.

What upsets me most is that Sather spent YEARS rebuilding this team and now most of it was traded away. Mark my words. It will take years for this team to get back to where it was.

Punxrocknyc19*

I loved Dubi. I think we lost a lot of heart when we traded him.

agreed. maybe he took Cally's heart because he has been brutal... yea he is coming back from an injury, but this captain isnt really setting a good example if this team comes out 2 games flat :rant: does he even talk in the locker room?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Wait....is it true Asham took the other guys helmet off and his as well?

This team has reached a whole new level of stupidity.

My dad woke up to see me off before I go to work this morning just to say he finally agrees that they are the New York Pejorative Slurs.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
do people really think that arty and dubi are the missing pieces to this catastrophe?

No, just that the guys we replaced them with are basically lateral moves, IMO. And all things being equal, I'd rather have the homegrown player 9 times out of 10.

What we have now is Sather throwing random ingredients in a pot hoping it becomes soup.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I haven't been on this site in years but I felt compelled to come back...

It's too early to blame it on the coach. There's certainly enough evidence to place blame on the GM. This team as constructed, is not built to compete in today's NHL.

Welcome back, buddy.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
There's a lot more truth to this than I'd like to admit. A small part of me was disgusted when we traded away a lot of our own homegrown depth for guys like Nash, Brassard, Dorsett, etc. To be honest, I don't see any of those guys as major upgrades over the guys they replaced. It was a marginal upgrade at best.

What upsets me most is that Sather spent YEARS rebuilding this team and now most of it was traded away. Mark my words. It will take years for this team to get back to where it was.

Two ****ing players were traded. Everyone is still here.

Gaborik was a free agent signing. He didn't get along with Tortorella. Gaborik could have rejected the trade to Columbus. He wanted to get away from Tortorella and accepted the trade.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Two ****ing players were traded. Everyone is still here.

Gaborik was a free agent signing. He didn't get along with Tortorella. Gaborik could have rejected the trade to Columbus. He wanted to get away from Tortorella and accepted the trade.

and there you have it. RB has spoken.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Yes, years ending in the Stanley Cup Finals tend to be long.

Give me a healthy team up to speed on the new system 20 games in, and if they still play like this then I'll be worried. Until then, we have all the pieces and they will come together

What pieces? This team offensively is a joke, filled with 3rd and 4th liners. And it's sad our great prospects couldn't even beat them out for a roster spot. Now that the style of play is less conservative you see our overrated defense getting exposed. I've seen things that if it was a pee wee game I'd be upset. Don't worry it's only pre season!:sarcasm:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
After eight years of crap during the dark ages, I find it surprising that many fans still don't understand how homegrown players can have more value to the team than replacement players from elsewhere. There's something to say about having guys like Dubinksy and Anisimov spend their whole professional careers in our system and grow up with guys like Cally, Staal, Girardi, Hank, etc. I don't think replacing Dubinsky and Anisimov is necessarily as easy as finding two free agents with the same historical production.

Everyone knows it is good to have homegrown talent, but you can't have a monkey doing the drafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad