Fire AV, Fire Sather. This is a bad hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The team had played four games at that time. That's not an exaggeration for effect; they played four games.

They were playing poorly but drawing conclusions from that is ridiculous and they deserve to be mocked.

4 game sample >>>>> 70 game sample.

Duh.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No. Stanley Cup winners have no flaws.

Do you even read these boards, brah?

Actually it's Stanley Cup CONTENDERS that have no flaws. Around 5 teams in the league have no flaws. Unfortunately the Rangers have a lot of flaws that these perfect teams of demigods don't have.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I still think we're worse than our record.

But we should be 2nd in this division. It's pretty weak.

That's hilarious. We've lost more games while dominating our opponents this year than I can remember and rarely won games we got outplayed in (mainly because those games are pretty rare), yet we're somehow WORSE than our record. We have 16 games where we had 40+ shots this year, I'll be shocked if we won 6 of those.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
That's hilarious. We've lost more games while dominating our opponents this year than I can remember and rarely won games we got outplayed in (mainly because those games are pretty rare), yet we're somehow WORSE than our record. We have 16 games where we had 40+ shots this year, I'll be shocked if we won 6 of those.

Those games where we peppered goalies were infuriating. Some of them we produced a metric ****-ton of chances, but there were several where most of those shots were "cupcakes".

The Rangers won a good amount of games. I can't say anything to the contrary. But there were very few games where I thought they really convinced me that this team can go to war. Every forward but our 4th line and Zucc has been streaky beyond belief, our defense would go from inpregnable to infuriating from game to game (do you remember what Girardi looked like earlier in the season? I thought he was making snow angels half the time), and the only skater who's played like a star is McDonagh.

I like how fast they skate. I love some of the things we try in the offensive zone. I HATE how soft a lot of our forwards are on the puck, especially in the neutral zone. I'm not exactly impressed by the forecheck, and I miss the grit of past teams.

If this team goes anywhere, it'll be on the backs of Godqvist and McDeity.

Or, I get to eat tasty, tasty crow, and Nash, Stepan, and MSL just light the ****ing world on fire.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Still say that December homestand was worse than the opening road trip

It was weird. We started to turn it around and then played terribly against some ****** teams, no explanation. It was worse only in the sense that it came from nowhere and there was no excuse. Thankfully since then we've been one of the best teams in the league.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
When you get 40+ shots, most of the shots are ALMOST ALWAYS going to be cupcakes. The shots come from possession, not tic tac toe passing. You're rarely going to get games where you get 40+ shots with most being great shots. Did previous Ranger teams create more high quality chances or something?

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
When you get 40+ shots, most of the shots are ALMOST ALWAYS going to be cupcakes. The shots come from possession, not tic tac toe passing. You're rarely going to get games where you get 40+ shots with most being great shots. Did previous Ranger teams create more high quality chances or something?

I suppose it's because the previous teams didn't create as many chances, but because of the counter-attacking style, our chances always seemed to be grade-A, as chances resulting from turnovers typically are.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Just for the sake of argument, it's not who has flaws and who doesn't, some teams simply have more than others. #hyperbole

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I suppose it's because the previous teams didn't create as many chances, but because of the counter-attacking style, our chances always seemed to be grade-A, as chances resulting from turnovers typically are.

I don't remember that many counter attack chances. They seemed to be more of a grind it out team. Possession is much more correlated to success than the "counter attack" style. It really worked great for the Leafs and they're probably the best success story they actually made the playoffs last year and almost beat Boston. It's still not sustainable.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just for the sake of argument, it's not who has flaws and who doesn't, some teams simply have more than others. #hyperbole

I've read on many occasions how "a cup contender doesn't have so an so Ranger playing at so and so position", like there's some sort of formula and every cup contender follows that formula to a tee. You can't win a cup without X, Y, and Z...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I wouldn't say there's a formula, different styled teams win, but it's hard to ignore what they all have in common. But, there are also first times, exceptions.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

In what reality did the Rangers play a counter-attacking style?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The Rangers were more fun to watch, and in my opinion more deserving of their record than they were in '12. That's all I can ask for really. I'm not expecting them to go too deep this year but I still think they're moving in the right direction.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The Rangers were more fun to watch, and in my opinion more deserving of their record than they were in '12. That's all I can ask for really. I'm not expecting them to go too deep this year but I still think they're moving in the right direction.

Yea hard to complain although people will. They had the best team gaa since the new yr. besr top in road wins. It's a good team that may surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->