Fire AV, Fire Sather. This is a bad hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
fire AV? lol
This is a personnel issue.

This team went downhill when we flushed away our depth for Rick Nash, a born loser. We further cemented it when we traded Gaborik.
This is a firesale worthy team.

Trade Nash while he still has value
Trade Lundqvist before he leaves
Trade Staal to the Canes, Trade Girardi
Buyout Richards next year
Trade anyone over 26..

Rebuild this thing...

Spot on. Ever since the Nash trade this team hasn't been the same.

Once again management got trapped in the allure of getting an overrated star player from another team and turned their backs on homegrown players and building from within.

Keep that 2011-12 team together and you wonder what they could've done with a minor supplemental trade.

dccuse

Oct 5, 2006
New York City
Well here's what happens next:

Pyatt and Asham are done, in come some speedy, hungry kids. :dunno:

Agreed. This may all be for the better. Let's get some fast, dynamic fresh faces who don't need reprogramming. That'll push everyone.

I'd like to see Ryan bourque play 4th line and some ok to see if he can be a spark, find out what he's got.

Give me kristo too - kreider and miller is like more minutes and feel kristo is a more mature player. Give biron a start and keep starting him until he's cold. Get falk in.

Fresh blood!

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Funny how posters I haven't seen in months are back.

Sweet, the appearance of the bad hockey team thread...Eastern Conference #1 seed, here we come!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
What is wrong with you guys. Its only 3 freaking games. The rangers are adjusting to a new coach and his coaching style. Plus the 9 game road trip is probably not helping either. At least give it 20 more games before you start panicking.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
AV is the guy that decides who he ices out there. He's the guy that iced a roster that is going to get run. He is giving a bunch of journeymen a chance to play for the lady byng. He just dismantled a team defense that has been top 10 in the league for several years.

I don't see any winning with a bunch of soft small perimeter players that quit at the sight of teams that play the right way.

There's size and toughness in the org, they're just in the minors right now.

Record under AV's system:

W L GF GA
2 8 15 44

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Why is anyone surprised?

We traded half of our 2012 team for players from the worst team in the league that year, and replaced everyone else from that roster who isn't still on the squad with clearly inferior players.

But we got Nash guys! If you have the chance to blow up a team that was 2 wins away from a SCF appearance for a star player, you do it 100 times out of 100!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Can't blame AV for trying to implement his philosophy. He's a new coach with new personnel, there has to be a buffer for him to adjust his strategy.

Something to consider with AV, is that in Vancouver it was pretty common for new players coming into 'The System' to struggle for a good month, sometimes even longer, sometimes even nearly a year trying to 'adjust'. Some guys just showed they never could 'get it' right. He has a very rigid and structured way of doing things, and when one cog in the machine doesn't work, the whole thing can come crashing down pretty quickly. It was mentioned on a number of occasions that the system was more 'complicated' and 'demanding' in a lot of respects, than what some players (even seasoned vets) were used to elsewhere. Particularly with respect to the defencemen.

So you take what we saw in Vancouver with 1 or 2 new players coming into the 'AV System' and really struggling for a while...multiply that by an entire team, and it's not really surprising that things are pretty ugly early.

I don't know if that affords you guys any hope or light at the end of the tunnel, but it's not entirely surprising that implementing the AV system hasn't exactly been instantaneously seamless and successful. :dunno:

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Thanks for playing but the Rangers didn't get to the SCF BECAUSE they were missing offense from guys like Nash

No, we didn't make the SCF because we were missing offense.

Stars aren't the only players that can generate offense.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the Nash trade didn't "gut" our depth. It only gutted it in the sense that we lost it. It was depth that could've easily been replaced (two 3rd line centers aren't that ****ing hard to find). You shouldn't be mad at Nash, he's doing his job here. Be mad at cigar man, he let easy to replace depth crumble the team last year, and it's effect still lingers.

And for the record, if we went back to July 2012, almost every single one of you would still be throwing a party that this trade happened.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
the Nash trade didn't "gut" our depth. It only gutted it in the sense that we lost it.

One of the biggest problems with the team last season was the complete lack of depth we had in the roster; depth that was lost because of the Nash trade.

It was depth that could've easily been replaced (two 3rd line centers aren't that ****ing hard to find).

Easy in a vacuum, but you can't easily replace things like team chemistry, experience playing with each other for years and, particularly in the case of Dubinsky, on and off ice attitude.

You shouldn't be mad at Nash, he's doing his job here. Be mad at cigar man, he let easy to replace depth crumble the team last year, and it's effect still lingers.

I'm not mad at Nash, I think he's a great player. I'm mad that we blew up a team that was 2 wins away from competing for the cup for him.

And for the record, if we went back to July 2012, almost every single one of you would still be throwing a party that this trade happened.

I wasn't. I was unsure of the trade and thought it could go both ways. But over last season and the early going of this season, it's becoming increasingly apparent which direction the results of the Nash trade went.

Since the Nash trade, Columbus has been in an upswing, while we've been in a downswing. I don't think that's a coincidence.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
the Nash trade didn't "gut" our depth. It only gutted it in the sense that we lost it. It was depth that could've easily been replaced (two 3rd line centers aren't that ****ing hard to find). You shouldn't be mad at Nash, he's doing his job here. Be mad at cigar man, he let easy to replace depth crumble the team last year, and it's effect still lingers.

After eight years of crap during the dark ages, I find it surprising that many fans still don't understand how homegrown players can have more value to the team than replacement players from elsewhere. There's something to say about having guys like Dubinksy and Anisimov spend their whole professional careers in our system and grow up with guys like Cally, Staal, Girardi, Hank, etc. I don't think replacing Dubinsky and Anisimov is necessarily as easy as finding two free agents with the same historical production.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Dubinsky and Prust added a lot to the team's chemistry. Prust had connections to G and Cally back from juniors, great friends with DZ and Boyle, stood up for team mates no matter what. Team had a sluggish start, Torts put him on the ice, he dropped the gloves no matter how he was doing to tell the team that they were gonna show up. It's called heart, the Rangers roster has none, and their coach doesn't seem like he wants to coach guys with one.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
After eight years of crap during the dark ages, I find it surprising that many fans still don't understand how homegrown players can have more value to the team than replacement players from elsewhere. There's something to say about having guys like Dubinksy and Anisimov spend their whole professional careers in our system and grow up with guys like Cally, Staal, Girardi, Hank, etc. I don't think replacing Dubinsky and Anisimov is necessarily as easy as finding two free agents with the same historical production.

so Dubi and Artie were more important because they were homegrown? And that should make them more off limits? Jesus ****ing christ I don't understand. Sure, chemistry is important, that's a valid point. But it's not like we traded Hagelin and Callahan, or Stepan and McDonagh. We traded two marginal middle six tweeners for a goal scoring superstar, which every single ranger fan and their mother DEMANDED the summer of 2012. In a nutshell, I'd take 40 more goals over 25 goals and being homegrown 10/10. It's easy to be irritated at this trade in hindsight (I'm still not), but if you tell me you didn't bounce off the walls reading "confirmed with link" I just think you're lying.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We've been saying fire Sather for what, 12 years? Never gonna happen. And that's why this team will not win a Cup any time in the near future.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
What is wrong with you guys. Its only 3 freaking games. The rangers are adjusting to a new coach and his coaching style. Plus the 9 game road trip is probably not helping either. At least give it 20 more games before you start panicking.

You have no idea what it's like to be a ranger fan. If anyone has a right to be pessimistic, it's us. The pathetic history of this franchise is to blame.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

You know nothing about this team.

Now, with respect, good sir...

index.php

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If you look across the league there's lots of teams having similar problems. Only thing that really makes the Rangers look any different is the big losses against Anaheim and San Jose. Still, those are two good teams from an opposing conference and a win or loss is still a win or loss no matter the goal differential. There's no extra points the more someone gets beat.

I understand the frustration of mediocre to poor GM problems as well as coming so close one season then sucking immediately after. I'm a Flyers fan. Same thing happened to us except instead of the ECF it was the SCF and instead of quality homegrown depth it was quality homegrown stars. It's still far too early to blow up a team especially when Hagelin and Nash aren't even playing right now. Rangers just have to find their ability to play again and see where things go from there. A team with Lundqvist, Nash, Stepan, Callahan, Staal, etc. Isn't this bad if they're playing to their potential. Lacking in depth maybe but that's about the extent of fault here.

Right now either it's a coaching problem or they haven't had enough time to work out the kinks. Either way it's not worth rebuilding for years (which is what will happen if you start trading your big players and wasting years on all your players) over a few bad games. It's just not with the talent on this roster. Besides, with the Nash trade the Rangers are kind if devoted to sticking it out fully with him before abandoning ship.

For the record I think essentially swapping Gaborik, Anisimov, and Dubinsky for Nash, Beassard, Moore, and Dorsett was a mistake but practically every Rangers fan was happy with it at the time and regardless that doesn't change what the situation is now.

RegalRangers

Oct 23, 2005
Los Angeles
With everyone healthy and back in the swing of things and with home games and with maybe one or two mid-level trades, we could definitely find ourselves competing for the cup. In fact, I predict that the Rangers will beat the Blues.

Next game we will see the leaders of this team emerge.

That being said, I hate watching AV chew gum. It reeks of nervousness and impatience. Just stand there like a man with your arms crossed or chew dip and spit it everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad