Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Part 2

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
It's my favourite current day mmo but my desktop is dead so haven't played in a year. Expansion has me wanting to resurrect it though

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I might get back into this. Legion has been feeling a little thin lately and this could be a good change for a few months.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I've given XIV a few tries but it just doesn't hold my interest. No modern MMO's do really. I miss the old days of FFXI.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
What's the best class for solo play? Even in WoW, I tend to stick to strictly solo stuff and LFR.

I usually get the "whatever you like best" answer which is fine, but what would let me experience the most content as a solo player, either through their ability to solo easily (self heals, etc) or the easiest leveling path?

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
well if anybody wants to play together, I'm on the server Fairie.
Will eventually be playing a paladin.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
What's the best class for solo play? Even in WoW, I tend to stick to strictly solo stuff and LFR.

I usually get the "whatever you like best" answer which is fine, but what would let me experience the most content as a solo player, either through their ability to solo easily (self heals, etc) or the easiest leveling path?

You pretty much have to group for content in this game there is a solo queue similar to WOW so a tank is probably your best bet to get no queue times with Warrior being the best at soloing.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary

Why play a mmo just to solo? Your quality of game for solo is vastly better with a game like The Witcher, Skyrim, or Dragon Age. The story line in MMO's are generally subpar. Quests are usually boring, give a message to this guy! I dropped something 5 feet from me can you pick it up.. oh my gosh!..
These games usually start to shine when you can play with other people and experience the tactics playing against extra hard opponents.

To each their own I guess. It's something I was usually pretty curious about though.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Why play a mmo just to solo? Your quality of game for solo is vastly better with a game like The Witcher, Skyrim, or Dragon Age. The story line in MMO's are generally subpar. Quests are usually boring, give a message to this guy! I dropped something 5 feet from me can you pick it up.. oh my gosh!..
These games usually start to shine when you can play with other people and experience the tactics playing against extra hard opponents.

To each their own I guess. It's something I was usually pretty curious about though.

I don't like playing with other people. I have to interact with people all day at work. I don't want to spend my hobby time interacting with more people. It's one thing if they're friends of mine or whatever, but I don't have any desire to make more friends online. I like WoW because it gives me plenty to do without having to interact with a soul. I can join an LFR or a LFD and not have to speak to a single person.

I don't mind doing group content, I just don't want to have to converse with anyone. I want to do the stuff and continue on my way.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Well for one it is a Final Fantasy game. I see the words: "Final Fantasy XIV" and immediately want to play it... unfortunately the experience is ruined because it's just a dumb MMO :sarcasm:

Personally I didn't mind the 'MMO style' of gameplay in FFXII, so when I saw a copy of XIV in a bargain bin for $10 I thought maybe I could tolerate a FF MMO and played the first free month. It was okay, but I ended up being put off too much by some of the MMO focused design decisions.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I re-subbed on a whim. Haven't played more than maybe 5 hrs total since shortly after 2.1 hit.

I'm right near the point where I'll need Heavensward to progress further in the story. Not sure if I'll purchase it though. I love running Titan HM for fun lol.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I'll automatically play Stormblood for Red Mage
But since it won't be out until late June I have a while before I really need to sub back to finish the story. Plus I'm super short on cash at the moment so I can't anyways

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Subbed back in and I've taken a Rogue to 20 with plans of going Ninja. Really enjoying it. It's quite a bit slower feeling than WoW, which is actually pretty enjoyable for me right now. I'm itching to get into some of the advanced classes.

I'm still confused by the leveling loop. There's slots for 8 toons but I keep reading that you're supposed to just level classes on the same toon. What are all the slots for if you're only going to use 1?

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I'm still confused by the leveling loop. There's slots for 8 toons but I keep reading that you're supposed to just level classes on the same toon. What are all the slots for if you're only going to use 1?

Your character CAN just be whatever class you want it to be, or you can just create a new character if you want to play a different class. You don't have to use just one character for every class. Some people do, some people don't.

I don't know how much it has changed but I know that you can get additional perks by leveling up other classes for your main one. Like for Black Mages, whenever you had to level up Archer to level 20 you could inherit an ability or two to use for your Black Mage, so that may be what they are referring to as just using one character for all classes.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Subbed back in and I've taken a Rogue to 20 with plans of going Ninja. Really enjoying it. It's quite a bit slower feeling than WoW, which is actually pretty enjoyable for me right now. I'm itching to get into some of the advanced classes.

Wouldn't different character slots just be for making characters of different races and/or joining different guilds? Because otherwise FFXIV utilizes the FF job system a bit so with one character you can try playing every job/class, with your level starting at 1 for each one, with certain skills being available cross-class when you hit a certain level.

Personally though when I played while I liked being able to try each job with a single character, the actual cross-class skills I found to be pretty weak. It's nothing like say the 1st Guild Wars or Final Fantasy Tactics where you could come up with some very creative builds.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I kind of like it but also kind of don't. Eventually you'll run out of side quests and then have to really grind leves, fates and dungeons. I'm one who doesn't mind just spending time by myself doing main or side quests.

Took me a bit to decide if I wanted to make a different character for other classes but decided to stick to one for now.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Wouldn't different character slots just be for making characters of different races and/or joining different guilds? Because otherwise FFXIV utilizes the FF job system a bit so with one character you can try playing every job/class, with your level starting at 1 for each one, with certain skills being available cross-class when you hit a certain level.

Personally though when I played while I liked being able to try each job with a single character, the actual cross-class skills I found to be pretty weak. It's nothing like say the 1st Guild Wars or Final Fantasy Tactics where you could come up with some very creative builds.

They are getting rid of the cross class skills completely in the next expansion its kind of annoying as it is now as their is 0 customization and each role has abilities their required to get to do almost anything at end game.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
They are getting rid of the cross class skills completely in the next expansion its kind of annoying as it is now as their is 0 customization and each role has abilities their required to get to do almost anything at end game.

Oh that's kind of lame :/

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I kind of like it but also kind of don't. Eventually you'll run out of side quests and then have to really grind leves, fates and dungeons. I'm one who doesn't mind just spending time by myself doing main or side quests.

Took me a bit to decide if I wanted to make a different character for other classes but decided to stick to one for now.

This is kind of what I was thinking. I've done all the entry level quest stuff in 2 areas on my Pugilist and Rogue. If I get 2 new classes I'm kind of out of starting area stuff. I was wondering how you'd level on your 5th class and beyond.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I think most people just continuously grind fates

I'm still enjoying the game and I think there's obviously still a lot more for me to do. At the very least, I'd like to take a DPS, Healer and Tank to max level. Seems like the game has pretty poor flow, at least in the 1-15 range though.

I think I'll probably end up making separate toons for each type of role and then level up those classes on one toon so I can at least minimize the amount of grinding by doing the same thing over and over.

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
So how good did the new classes end up being for Heavensward?
Machinist seemed kind of fun and you could wind up combos pretty well it felt like.
I didn't play much of the Astrologian class though, and didn't touch Dark Knight.

I really want to sub back, but I'm tight on money at the time being, and unfortunately probably will be for quite a while.
I might cave and do a 1 month in a month or two, to at least hit max level and finish the story before Stormblood launches.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is kind of what I was thinking. I've done all the entry level quest stuff in 2 areas on my Pugilist and Rogue. If I get 2 new classes I'm kind of out of starting area stuff. I was wondering how you'd level on your 5th class and beyond.

Yeah I'd kind of forgotten about that part! When I played I was rather OCD with that part of the game, I found it wasn't too hard to level get to level 10 with every class, so that's what I did. After that it got a bit tougher, but aside from my main class Archer I did manage to get white mage + warrior up to level 20 (or at least high enough to do the first dungeons or two) at about the same time, started getting too hard though so I just continued on with my archer and got to around level 30. That was about the point I got bored with it and didn't bother renewing.

I also did the same thing with crafting classes, focusing on leveling each one rather than picking one or two to specialize in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad