Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Part 2

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I just re-subbed finally the other day. Totally not remembering what or where I was doing/going from when I last played.

Have Arcanist at 31, Thaumaturge at 9, Conjurer at 7... and then everthing else around 5-7. Decided to at least try to finish off my Lvl 30 Arcanist quest though I feel like I might need another level or so because I eventually get overwhelmed and can't keep my tank pet alive.

On Midgardsormr right now as a server if anyone's thinking of picking up and playing before the expansion (apparently you'll get HW included with Stormblood purchase if you only have ARR... so that's what I'm going to wait on).

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
For the past few days or so I have really been thinking about subbing back before Stormblood hits. The more I see things about the expansion the more I want to play.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
For the past few days or so I have really been thinking about subbing back before Stormblood hits. The more I see things about the expansion the more I want to play.

That's pretty much why I reupped.
Still feeling like a total newb at the moment though.
Might just switch to a lower level class and work my way up again to learn mechanics I'm forgetting

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just re-subbed. Finally getting the full info on Samurai coaxed me back. Have been waiting for that crazy burst damage since I stopped playing XI.

I also love the changes to the rest of the jobs. Ninja looks more fun, especially with no more 20s pre-pull timer, I can finally pick back up Bard again after 3.0 killed all my interest in it.

This kinda feels like a brand new game.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This is kind of what I was thinking. I've done all the entry level quest stuff in 2 areas on my Pugilist and Rogue. If I get 2 new classes I'm kind of out of starting area stuff. I was wondering how you'd level on your 5th class and beyond.

Hunting Logs/FATES/ Levequests until you're high enough to unlock Sastasha and start doing dungeons. There are weekly challenges that give you huge exp for FATES + Levequests, (and eventually dungeons) when you complete a certain number of them, so if you're levelling up a lot of lower classes at once make sure to do those challenges before they reset every Tuesday (or at least they did 6 months ago when I played).

And yes I realize this is a reply months later;), so I hope you figured this all out and are rollin along.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Just re-subbed. Finally getting the full info on Samurai coaxed me back. Have been waiting for that crazy burst damage since I stopped playing XI.

I also love the changes to the rest of the jobs. Ninja looks more fun, especially with no more 20s pre-pull timer, I can finally pick back up Bard again after 3.0 killed all my interest in it.

This kinda feels like a brand new game.

How long has it been since you were last subbed?
The bolded has me very intrigued.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Never been a big MMO player but I've played pretty much every FF since the SNES. Is this game for me or not? Any good starter guides or pointers for a complete noob?

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Never been a big MMO player but I've played pretty much every FF since the SNES. Is this game for me or not? Any good starter guides or pointers for a complete noob?

If you aren't big into MMO games then it might not be.

This video seems pretty good at explaining the basics of the game.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Tough to say. I was in the same boat as you, tried it for my first month but eventually the MMO elements turned me off.

It was fun for a while as you come across new areas, but there's a point around level 30 where you've basically been everywhere and the quests to move the storyline along become 'warp to previously visited location A and walk 2 minutes to point B'. Where as in FFXII you had to traverse these huge areas to get to the next story point, being an MMO they don't want big empty locations so they squeeze everything into a few large maps so they seem active. Kind of the same thing as when a lower tier sports team with a big half empty arena shuts down the upper bowl to create a 'full' atmosphere in the lower bowl.

I wasn't really impressed with the story either, I found it kind of lazy. Rather than build the MMO element in it's just a cookie cutter linear special snowflake chosen one to save the world deal, where the other players all around you are completely ignored. This is probably an MMO standard, but I was kind of disappointed as I expected more from Square.

Overall no harm in trying it though, it does have a lot of good points. I just wouldn't consider it a substitute for a single player FF.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
How long has it been since you were last subbed?
The bolded has me very intrigued.

Midway through Heavensward, maybe. . . 8 months?

I guess I should clarify that I meant combat, not the core of the game.

If you have the time check out MrHappy's Youtube channel, he has a breakdown on all of the reworked classes. Jobs like Bard and Machinist look like they play like a completely new class.

Still the same kind of combat, but it's like getting a bunch of new jobs instead of just two.

Samurai looks incredible, can't wait.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Nice I'll have to check that out.
I still need to hit max level and then finish the main story quest so that I can actually access the Stormblood part when it launches.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Okay so Red Mage looks DOPE as hell.
Oh man that looks like a lot of fun to play.
Machinist also looks really cool now. Taking away cast times was a smart move IMO.
Will continue to look at some of these videos that he has done but oh man, that Red Mage footage alone is almost worth subbing back to truth be told.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Nice I'll have to check that out.
I still need to hit max level and then finish the main story quest so that I can actually access the Stormblood part when it launches.

Yeah, I didn't finish HW either yet. But you can unlock RDM and SAM outside Stormblood areas so i'm going to unlock SAM (level 50 starting I think) and just run through HW to start levevlling it up.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I played from ARR launch to shortly after 2.1 hit. I've tried the game again a few times during the free weekend, even subbed for a month awhile ago and bought Heavensward but it just couldn't hold my interest for long. However I am going to give Stormblood, and this game, another shot. Currently lvl52, gotta hit 60 asap lol. If anyone is on Exodus give Canddi Kane a shout ;)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Apparently some servers are actually organizing themselves in a nice orderly line to handle the instance congestion.

I guess this is just a temporary measure to make sure nothing crashes and SE will relax the server limits soon.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
761 players in queue when i logged in at 5pm. Server transfer it is.

Samurai is ridiculous btw lol.

Midare Setsugekka - 720p
Meikyo Shisui
Gekko - 400p
Yukikaze - 340p
Kasha - 400p
Midare Setsugekka - 720p

2580 potency in. . . Maybe 8 or 9 seconds.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I actually started a character on Coeurl mostly for the fact that if I get level 30 fast enough I get 15 days free playtime.
But the queue is definitely much shorter.

Also, enjoying the fact that PvP is now level 30 to participate. Having some fun with the frontlines.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I actually started a character on Coeurl mostly for the fact that if I get level 30 fast enough I get 15 days free playtime.
But the queue is definitely much shorter.

Also, enjoying the fact that PvP is now level 30 to participate. Having some fun with the frontlines.

I'm on Coeurl as well, but have given up on the Raubahn quest until it's fixed. I've been booted a bunch of times from duties (including solo unsynched) as well. I just wanna get my Wondrous Tails done for the week. In the meantime, just been leveling my gatherers via collectables in the new areas and minor DoW/M leveling in HW areas (had everything at 60 before SB). If you see Super Hans around, feel free to friend.

BTW: instance congestion is over, got past Raubahn and got to first dungeon before work

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad