Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Part 2

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
That song is almost on par with Sancutary of Zitah and the old Thanalan music from 1.0 (didn't play but heard the tunes from 1.0)

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
2.1 "A Realm Awoken" Patch being implemented right now. Lots of new content and features, including PVP. Primary patch website is below:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/special/2_1_A_Realm_Awoken/

Trailer:

And full patch notes:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/03843d6bf7ba69adc37d7955ff7af43f3c43828a

I took a month off while seeing a new lady; came back two weeks ago, leveled GLD/PLD for fun, and have generally been enjoying myself. Looking forward to this. Today is a full 24 hour maintenance; you should be able to start downloading the patch shortly if you can't already (at work, can't tell). Servers come back up at midnight PST tonight at the latest; they've said they might bring them up earlier though.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I hope SE doesn't think they can release patches like this every 4 months and have it fly with the North American community. For a patch this big and with this huge wall of text patch notes there's really not a lot of content here.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
There's a ton of people furious at the housing costs. Can't really blame them. I don't really care about player housing at all but SE has touted it for a long time and seeing the cost of the land alone..... Eek! Most FC's won't be able to afford even the smallest lot for a long time, if ever.

McRpro

Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I hope SE doesn't think they can release patches like this every 4 months and have it fly with the North American community. For a patch this big and with this huge wall of text patch notes there's really not a lot of content here.

(copied from ffxiv forums)
-PvP
-Crystal Tower (New Raid)
-Pharos Sirius (New Dungeon)
-Hardmode Dungeons that are completely different from the originals
-Housing System
- Main Scenario Continuation
-Dailies with Beast Tribe Factions
-Moogle Fight
-Extreme Primal Battles
-Hair Salon
-Battle Adjustments
-Tons of New Gear
-A Remodeled Mor Dhona
-Mythology Cap Raise
-Duty Roulette
-Side Quests for Pure Enjoyment

Is that not a lot of content?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
(copied from ffxiv forums)
-PvP
-Crystal Tower (New Raid)
-Pharos Sirius (New Dungeon)
-Hardmode Dungeons that are completely different from the originals
-Housing System
- Main Scenario Continuation
-Dailies with Beast Tribe Factions
-Moogle Fight
-Extreme Primal Battles
-Hair Salon
-Battle Adjustments
-Tons of New Gear
-A Remodeled Mor Dhona
-Mythology Cap Raise
-Duty Roulette
-Side Quests for Pure Enjoyment

Is that not a lot of content?
Eh not really.

Crystal Tower was almost done 12 months ago.

Pharos Sirius is new content. Will be nice to not run WP/AK every time.

The hardmode dungeons are not completely new. Most just have two or three new branches with a boss at the end.

Housing is Free Company housing and quite frankly will keep people interested for a week. All you can do is place things. It is 1/100th as in depth as Rifts housing which came out 2 years ago.

The dailies are hilarious. You can do 3 per faction per day and they take maybe 5 minutes to do total. Most require you to kill as little as 2 level 43 mobs.

Main scenario continuation is basically a few quests that re-locate the scions to Mor Dhona. Wooooooooo.

Moogle fight was in v1.0

Extreme Primals are the same fights with slightly more damage and health and a copy of abilities. Garuda is basically the exact same fight. Hardly any resources went into these fights.

Hair Salon is content now?

Battle adjustments isn't content. Other than the Warrior changes all of it should have happened in hotfixes months ago.

There is lots of new gear but it's all downgrades or sidegrades from gear that is 4 months old. You have to understand that if 2.2 comes in late Spring which is what has been hinted that people will be using the same gear they got from the first 4 turns of BC for almost 8 months. That is a huge no no in the world of MMOs. Blizzard pulled that **** at the end of cataclysm and it cost them millions of subscribers.

A new Mor Dhona. Not content. Every MMO re-models a zone each patch, doesn't mean they should be a bullet point on reasons to play.

Myth cap raise. Not content.

Duty roulette. Not content.

90% of the patch is quality of life stuff that should have been in the game on release. 5% is content that will be interesting for a week maybe 2. The other 5% is actual content that will last for more than a month. Even then Crystal Tower is a terrible thing to have waited 4 months for. You get a chance at getting one piece of loot total, loot that is lower ilevel than what has been out for a quarter of a year and YoshiP's reason for running the raid in the first place it to obtain vanity items for a vanity system that wont be in the game for another 4+ months.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I agree that for endgame raiders, there is virtually no new content outside of PVP. That said, there's a lot of stuff for intermediate players (most of the playerbase) and the i90 weapons from the Extreme Primal series are nice for those who can't drop T5 (99% of people). Not white knighting or trolling; I enjoy the additions, but I think the general update trajectory thus far hasn't made a lot of sense (e.g. CT coming out after BC thus rendering most CT gear useless).

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
So I just got the PS3 version and it's updating right now. I played FFXI way back, for like the first 4-5 years it was out and loved it, but I haven't really played any MMO since (nor prior, FFXI was my only, outside of trying a couple for a week or two here and there). I'm very excited but I know virtually nothing coming in; I'm going to be brand spanking new. Does HF have a guild/server that you guys are all on together? And if not do any of you have a rookie friendly guild where I could make some friends while learning the game from some more experienced folk?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I just created Mathwe Craine on Excalibur. I'm in Gridania with no clue what I'm doing but the game looks great visually so far.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Bump.

Thinking about trading watch dogs in for this (ps4 version). Haven't seen much mention about the ps4 version. Is it worth it? They're going to give me $40 for watch dogs.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Take $40 for Watch_Dogs while you can anyways. Lots of good things going on with FF14 at the moment. I would say it's a good time to start playing it as you will have a few weeks to get used to everything before the July patch.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Take $40 for Watch_Dogs while you can anyways. Lots of good things going on with FF14 at the moment. I would say it's a good time to start playing it as you will have a few weeks to get used to everything before the July patch.

Ended up buying it last night. Pretty fun so far. Already level 9.

My only gripe is that navigation can be a pain. Sometimes it's not really clear on the map where you're supposed to go and it can be hard to read.

McRpro

Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
It was a fun game for a couple months but it didn't have much depth IMO. It's basically the tried and tested wow formula with better graphics and music. The fact that the game is server based instead of client based sure leads to some frustrating times @ endgame when you get hit by things that clearly shouldn't have hit you.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Bringing this one back from the dead. On sale for $20 with a month of game time. Unsubbed WoW and picked this up. A little rough on PS4 to get used to the UI but I'm enjoying it so far, only a few hours in though.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Re-subbed last night.
I've always wanted to check out the raiding, so this time I'm hoping to get there. Black Mage has been sitting at level 46 for the longest time.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
So I played this game all through the beta and then for several months after release. Got my PLD all the way to level 50 and then became incredibly bored with it. I uninstalled it and haven't played since. I saw that there is a new patch and was wondering if it was worth giving another shot?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Started about a month ago.
Still only 20 on my highest job, but one thing I wasn't sure about... if I spend on attributes as an Arcanist... does that carry over if I eventually go scholar or summoner? Or do I get to respend them when I switch?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just started out again. Its a great game, but the main quests are so horrible. All you do is run from a to b doing meaningless stuff.

I got the game in a bargain bin for $10 and tried the game for it's free months, but that coming from the MMO design is what killed it for me. I'm sure I've said this in here before, but in FFXII all you often did was run from a to b, but the distance between a and b were several large maps that took a few hours to get through. But with an MMO they want the world to appear active, so they squish everything together in nicely defined zones.

Problem then of course is that when you get to the story part, the more 'single player' aspect of the game, pretty much every new mission is literally a safe 1-2 minute walk from a warp zone of the previous place you've been.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
I got the game in a bargain bin for $10 and tried the game for it's free months, but that coming from the MMO design is what killed it for me. I'm sure I've said this in here before, but in FFXII all you often did was run from a to b, but the distance between a and b were several large maps that took a few hours to get through. But with an MMO they want the world to appear active, so they squish everything together in nicely defined zones.

Problem then of course is that when you get to the story part, the more 'single player' aspect of the game, pretty much every new mission is literally a safe 1-2 minute walk from a warp zone of the previous place you've been.
Agree. And it gets boring and repetitive fast.

But the thing is, i want to play an mmo so much but there really isnt any mmo that can think outside the box. Its really wierd how a genre as gaming can be so new, yet already going in circle.

They day i get an mmo with a world as open as skyrim, but as dangerous as Tibia, without hotbars and main story. A game where the main thing to do is exploring a vast and rich world is its main theme. A game without hotbars and thousands of side quest. I would be happy if they rewrite questing all togheter so you no longer walk up to an npcs with (!) above their and talk but rather have to look in books or find clues in conversation. Even if this means that the amount of quests in a game is only 300.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm actually so far enjoying the MSQ (coming out of Limsa anyway, not sure if it's different between starting cities) and the Arcanist class story lines.

Though right now I am getting a little bored with the class mechanics of arcanist (only 22 right now) and spending more time playing around with other classes. Might need to start figuring out macro commands to help with pet control better.

It definitely plays well into anyone with a strong achiever mindset.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
Sorry to resurrect a really old thread.
the New expansion is coming out in June, with the red mage.

I used to play the heck out of ff11 and loved it to death.
I'm just now downloading the trial for ffxiv

Curious if anybody here plays? or wants to start?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad