Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Part 2

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Okay, so I finally pulled the trigger and signed up for the free trial.

First thoughts: how the hell do people play this on a controller? I'm on PS4 and there's SO much to navigate on screen. Seems a little overwhelming.

Went with a Puigilist because I heard it's a noob friendly melee DPS. Started off in Uhl'dan or whatever it's called. The desert city.

Any noob tips?

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Okay, so I finally pulled the trigger and signed up for the free trial.

First thoughts: how the hell do people play this on a controller? I'm on PS4 and there's SO much to navigate on screen. Seems a little overwhelming.

Went with a Puigilist because I heard it's a noob friendly melee DPS. Started off in Uhl'dan or whatever it's called. The desert city.

Any noob tips?

Hi Settlement!

Welcome to the club! FFXIV is amazing.

Am I correct in assuming that you're playing on PS4? If so, you should know that you can still use a keyboard and mouse with the PS4 version of the game. Just plug them into the USB ports, pop into settings and look for the keyboard and mouse options. It changes the UI around for you, so as to better suit the input method.

That being said, I know many people who use a gamepad (even on PC) very successfully. The only classes that seem to have a tough time are scholar and summoner, due to the fact it is much more difficult to control your pet, than if you were using a keyboard and mouse.

If you decide to stick it out with the controller, make sure to enable the extra set of hotbars (R2+L2)!

For your first class, definitely feel free to play whatever you want, but if you are looking for a melee dps class that is simple to play, I would recommend Rogue (Ninja). The monk class has a much faster, complex rotation, with positional requirements that can be hard to master. It's a very fun and rewarding class though, so as long as you're prepared to learn the class I'm sure you'll have it down in no time!

Ever since Stormblood released, they retooled all of the classes, which removed a lot of abilities. The classes really don't start to resemble their true selves until level 50 or 60. I know that sucks to hear, but if you find yourself bored with the combat while leveling, I need to stress that it gets better, and you'll be rewarded for sticking it out!

Feel free to shoot me a message here, as I love this game, and would be happy to talk about it. I currently have a level 70 Samurai, 70 Ninja, and 69 monk!

:yo:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm a LONG time FF fan (been playing since the SNES), but never really got into XI or XIV for whatever reason.

I am indeed playing on the PS4. I've never been a big mouse/keyboard guy, which is probably why I never got into MMOs. I would definitely prefer to stick with the PS4 controller.

Any specific setup on the game pad you would recommend? I've seen a couple videos online suggesting I change some things around.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm a LONG time FF fan (been playing since the SNES), but never really got into XI or XIV for whatever reason.

I am indeed playing on the PS4. I've never been a big mouse/keyboard guy, which is probably why I never got into MMOs. I would definitely prefer to stick with the PS4 controller.

Any specific setup on the game pad you would recommend? I've seen a couple videos online suggesting I change some things around.

To be honest, I'm the wrong guy to ask about the controller set-up, as I much prefer kb/m haha. I would still recommend plugging a keyboard in for easy chatting if you haven't already done that. Alternatively you could get one of those chatpads that plugs into the bottom of the DualShock 4.

The best advice I can give is to pick up all of the jobs and give them a go. It is so refreshing not being tied to a certain class with your character. Change your weapon, and BAM you're a Black Mage. Change it again, and BAM you're a Samurai!

Once you get your first job to max level, all of your subsequent jobs receive a pretty substantial xp bonus, which helps with the leveling process!

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Its been quite a while since this thread has seen any love :amazed:
Anyways, I had a big itching to play again so I resubbed a few days ago and I'm still leveling through Heavensward. Would love to try and get a Red Mage leveled up once I purchase Stormblood.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If I had more time on my hands, I would pay to play this. But I barely even play something like Warframe anymore. The only game I've been putting a ton of time into lately in NHL 19, and that's me playing with others.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011

This has me pretty hyped for the next expansion.
I can understand the time thing. If I didn't have some spare time I probably wouldn't be able to do the same thing either and be able to justify the expense.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Pulled the trigger after contemplating it for a while, and signed up for the Free Trial. Am a couple hours into my first character (one of the little dudes, Lancer), and am really impressed with the detail, the UI, and the feel. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the complete edition, though I'll fully admit that the price tag (when factoring in monthly sub) is a little off-putting.

Anyone on here still playing and have time/ability to give this longtime FF fan/MMO noob some tips?

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I re-sub'd last month and I've been playing a LOT. Got my BLM to 70 and then just ran Palace of the Dead/Heaven on High and have got 3 more characters to level 70 now (Although I did use a level boost to 60 on some since it's 50% off). Gearing up and finished the Scenario Quests, and now I'm trying to get my Machinist up to 70 before Shadowbringers early access starts on the 28th.

I'm seriously having a blast with this game right now and I can't wait for early access to drop.
I'm also on Jenova, and if anyone wants to add me, my name is Shodox Vora.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think the biggest thing stopping me from resubbing is knowing that I won't have my house anymore.

Had a medium plot in Shirogane right on the beach, and the medium castle on it. Plus a bunch of event specific items that I probably can't get again that I liked.

Also apartments in the various other zones with a few assorted items for storage.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
A lot of people saying this might be the best expansion in MMO history. Only about 4 hours into the main story and the atmosphere and music in the new zones are amazing.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
A lot of people saying this might be the best expansion in MMO history. Only about 4 hours into the main story and the atmosphere and music in the new zones are amazing.

Not only that, it's apparently one of the best FF things EVER.

Both are very true. I'm 79 on my Dancer so far, and I can't stop playing. I legit only want to play through this and nothing else right now. Hell I was pumped for Mario Maker 2 to come out and deep into Rainbow Six Siege and I haven't touched Rainbow Six and I haven't played much at all of Mario Maker 2 since early access started last Friday. I've only played it while waiting for cinematic scenes to be over in Scenario Duty since I knew I could probably get 1-2 levels out of the way while waiting.

Launch was also soooo smooth. The only hiccup was when the servers were getting DDoS'd later in the day, but they were able to get it back under control within an hour or so I believe, but something like that you can't blame them for.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I'm giving this game yet another shot, resubbed 2 weeks ago. It's never been able to hold my attention for longer than a few weeks before I get bored and quit. I last played shortly after Heavensward came out. So far I've finished the HW missions and have started Stormblood(bought the early access to Shadowbringers). I'm just skipping through the SB cutscenes so I can get to the new stuff asap. Consensus is the Stormblood story was weak anyway so np there. Currently a 2400 Queue on Exodus lol.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Launch was also soooo smooth. The only hiccup was when the servers were getting DDoS'd later in the day, but they were able to get it back under control within an hour or so I believe, but something like that you can't blame them for.
I was dreading another issue like the Raubahn instance in The Fringes at the start of Stormblood. Everything's been smooth sailing so far.

I also like that the side quests are scaled to job level, so I can go back and use them to level alternate jobs, even though I've been doing them all out of fear that I'll miss an aether current. I was a paladin all the way through the Stormblood, but have found myself playing ninja more. I've been doing the main story quests with PLD and side quests with NIN and they're leveling almost 1:1 with each other.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I also like that the side quests are scaled to job level, so I can go back and use them to level alternate jobs, even though I've been doing them all out of fear that I'll miss an aether current. I was a paladin all the way through the Stormblood, but have found myself playing ninja more. I've been doing the main story quests with PLD and side quests with NIN and they're leveling almost 1:1 with each other.
I was able to go completely through the main scenario quests (Still not even done with them) + a few of the daily roulettes and got to 80 on my Dancer. I did however do all of the quests that gave an aether current as the reward. Works out, because for now, I can level up my Red Mage (73 now) by doing these side quests while I put him in the queue times.

Part of me wants to level up a Monk though. I admit I haven't seen all of the changes that happened to them but I feel like I'm seeing them more now than I had previously.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I read an article recently about being able to use NPCs in dungeon runs instead of other players. Is that applicable to all dungeons in the series or is it only for dungeons in the new expansion? Or is it even more limited than that?

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I read an article recently about being able to use NPCs in dungeon runs instead of other players. Is that applicable to all dungeons in the series or is it only for dungeons in the new expansion? Or is it even more limited than that?
It's only in the new dungeons for the time being. Expect the runs to be slower too, no big surprise there.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I got back into it with my past playing buddies for ShB. I started leveling SAM since the job I played up to 70, WAR, got completely shit-canned. I'm a little upset that I picked the one melee DPS with literally zero utility, but it is what it is. Since SAM is up at the top of the DPS charts right now, it shouldn't be hard to find groups with which to run the roulettes.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Shadowbringers story was easily the best story of the expansions for me. I enjoyed the music, some of the dungeon looks are awesome, and there's a lot of little bits and pieces that are smooth and useful. The Crystarium Deliveries is a nice set of stories. The role quests have been good thus far but I've only done a couple series at this point. They really did well on this especially compared to Stormblood. I wasn't as down about Stormblood's story as others but just how they handled instanced duties in comparison is miles ahead from then. They obviously learned their lesson well in that regard. I hope the Eden raid does well to add to this.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
The Trust system for dungeons is a big step up from the Grand Company squadron AI. You'll catch your party members make a hiccup a few times in the dungeon instead of the entire thing, but I've yet to wipe because of it. As someone who likes to blind run new content, it's nice to be able to run new dungeons without looking like an idiot to anyone besides an AI.

Stormblood had one good story arc, Patch 4.3 Under the Moonlight, but everything else was really 'meh' as a follow-up to the Heavensward story.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I've put more time into FFXIV this go around in a few days than I have collectively until now. I used to be a big WoW player and would try FFXIV for a few days and go right back to WoW.

I haven't played an MMO in years and I'm finding this really enjoyable. I do find myself really missing the early level perks I'd built up in WoW (level 1 mounts, heirloom gear, etc) and right now the navigating is a bit irritating without a mount, but it's got its hooks into me this time around.

Trying out a Marauder with the intent to go Warrior and messing with an Arcanist to go SMN.

I don't have the time to commit to a guild or running raids or anything, but it seems pretty good for solo so far.

How much am I missing out if I don't run dungeons and such? Can I still get good gear or is it pretty much something you have to do?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I've put more time into FFXIV this go around in a few days than I have collectively until now. I used to be a big WoW player and would try FFXIV for a few days and go right back to WoW.

I haven't played an MMO in years and I'm finding this really enjoyable. I do find myself really missing the early level perks I'd built up in WoW (level 1 mounts, heirloom gear, etc) and right now the navigating is a bit irritating without a mount, but it's got its hooks into me this time around.

Trying out a Marauder with the intent to go Warrior and messing with an Arcanist to go SMN.

I don't have the time to commit to a guild or running raids or anything, but it seems pretty good for solo so far.

How much am I missing out if I don't run dungeons and such? Can I still get good gear or is it pretty much something you have to do?

There's good purchasable gear at pretty much any level you get to in order to avoid raiding and dungeon runs if you so choose. It just depends on what you want to do. However, I wouldn't overestimate how much a commitment it really is to get into an LS or FC and running most raids. I tend to avoid current savage raids. Normal level raids are doable with not much commitment. Regular four man dungeons tend to be half hour runs.

The goetia tomestone gear is ilvl 440 I think which can be acquired through numerous avenues like hunts, daily beast tribe quests, pvp when you're max level, and the new treasure maps.

But like I said, it mostly revolves around what you want to do in the game more than anything else. I'm an achievement hunter at this stage and I'm going back and doing silly things like Diadem, crafting logs, gathering a ridiculous amount of times, leves, and whatever. Keeps it diverse enough for me to not get burnt out on anything. If I get annoyed or bored with something, I just work towards something different.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad