Final Countdown . . . reported to be down to hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Jaded-Fan said:
Ok guys . . . assume it is tomorrow as a couple of sourcers think, what time tomorrow will the deal be announced?

Put Me down for 4:15 pm. Just enough time to make the evening news.

I dont think tomorrow....im thinking Thursday.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Spungo said:
Yeah, because a non-ratified deal is a "done deal". Yeah, that's it. :shakehead

If all that is left is to explain the CBA to the GMs and such before ratification is complete, then how is it not a done deal?

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
waffledave said:
If all that is left is to explain the CBA to the GMs and such before ratification is complete, then how is it not a done deal?

The players have to vote, and the media finds the 70 players who are going to vote no, interview them, and publish the "Hell no, we won't go," comments.

This lends an air of pessimism to the proceedings which gets our knickers in a knot. :)

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
waffledave said:

He's just trying to grab any excuse.

In any case, my prediction is... Friday at 1:00pm EST.

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
how long could ratification actually take?
700 players on their secure website just like a poll can't take that long can it?

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Grandpabuzz said:
I bet 1/4th of them don't know how to operate a computer.

And another quarter are going to take three hours just to try to politely get off the phone with Strachan and Gallagher who are urging them to stand up for their rights and vote no.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
coppernblue said:
how long could ratification actually take?
700 players on their secure website just like a poll can't take that long can it?

They have to give players time to read the whole 100-200 page thing through. The players aren't going to just read a few sentences of it then vote (well im sure some will). Im sure the PA will give the players a few days to vote.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
FLYLine4LIFE said:
They have to give players time to read the whole 100-200 page thing through. The players aren't going to just read a few sentences of it then vote (well im sure some will). Im sure the PA will give the players a few days to vote.

The vast majority won't read it -- they'll rely on the recommendations of their player rep & their agents.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:

I'm sure a lot of the players are like me - could read the entire thing over 3 times, and still be confused over all the legal language. A lot of them will be
hunting down their agents/lawyers to read the thing for them.

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
Boltsfan2029 said:
The vast majority won't read it -- they'll rely on the recommendations of their player rep & their agents.

True, but i think the union still has to provide a copy of the agreement to every player. (part of the rules - that way there is no "we didn't know about...") Along with that there will be the abridged version with the highlites or main points to the agreement - a little easier to read and follow along. I would think the vote will take place a week or so after the announcement. It sounds like the agreement will be done as soon as the press conference is announced so copies can be sent out immediately.

That, and every sports network will have a basic breakdown of the agreement so really, the players can get the jist of it by watching Sportscenter (or TSN or Sportsnet or whatever) a couple of times. The newspapers and radio will also have the main points.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
At this point, if I was a player, I would just vote yes..without reading it.

A lot of players have said, we dont care, get it done already and let's go...so i'm pretty sure about 200 of them will vote yes without reading it.

baldrick

Jul 1, 2005
Hockeyfan02 said:
If we couldn't take shots each other, then we'd both have to take shots at Mexico and that wouldn't be fair to Mexico.

Mexico has enough problems,I nominate France :cheers:

A Good Flying Bird*

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
True, but i think the union still has to provide a copy of the agreement to every player. (part of the rules - that way there is no "we didn't know about...") Along with that there will be the abridged version with the highlites or main points to the agreement - a little easier to read and follow along. I would think the vote will take place a week or so after the announcement. It sounds like the agreement will be done as soon as the press conference is announced so copies can be sent out immediately.

That, and every sports network will have a basic breakdown of the agreement so really, the players can get the jist of it by watching Sportscenter (or TSN or Sportsnet or whatever) a couple of times. The newspapers and radio will also have the main points.

So what? That's how congress does it. Instead of watching TSN or ESPN, they let the lobbiests explain the legislation over pinatas during one of the all-expenses paid "fact finding" missions to Bermuda.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I would think they would set it in a way that if the players want the gist of it, they will provide maybe a 10 page summary or something. Or the other option would be the full document word for word for the players to read.

The choice is theirs.

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
We're leaving together
but still it's farewell
and maybe we'll come back,
to earth, who can tell?

I guess there is no one to blame
we're leaving ground (leaving ground)
will things ever be the same again?
It's the final countdown.

The final countdown.

Oh, We're heading for Venus
and still we stand tall
cause maybe they've seen us
and welcome us all
with so many light years to go
and things to be found (to be found)
I'm sure that we'll all miss her so

The final countdown.

The final countdown (final countdown).

oh...oh

The final countdown.

oh...oh

The final countdown.

The final countdown. (final countdown)

It's the final countdown
we're leaving together
the final countdown
we'll all miss her so
It's the final countdown (final countdown)
oh, it's the final countdown.

Spungo*

Grandpabuzz said:
We're leaving together
but still it's farewell
and maybe we'll come back,
to earth, who can tell?

I guess there is no one to blame
we're leaving ground (leaving ground)
will things ever be the same again?

The final countdown.

Oh, We're heading for Venus
and still we stand tall
cause maybe they've seen us
and welcome us all
with so many light years to go
and things to be found (to be found)
I'm sure that we'll all miss her so

The final countdown.

The final countdown (final countdown).

oh...oh

The final countdown.

oh...oh

The final countdown.

The final countdown. (final countdown)

It's the final countdown
we're leaving together
the final countdown
we'll all miss her so
It's the final countdown (final countdown)
oh, it's the final countdown.

See you in September
See you when the summer's through

Here we are (bye, baby, goodbye)
Saying goodbye at the station (bye, baby, goodbye)
Summer vacation (bye, baby bye, baby)
Is taking you away (bye, baby, goodbye)

Have a good time but remember
There is danger in the summer moon above
Will I see you in September
Or lose you to a summer love

Bye, baby, goodbye
Bye, baby, goodbye
Bye, baby, goodbye (bye-bye, so long, farewell)
Bye, baby, goodbye (bye-bye, so long)

See you (bye-bye, so long, farewell)
In September (bye-bye, so long, farewell)
I'm hopin' I'll
Well, maybe I'll

Oh... I'm reciting this song because they won't be signing the deal untill August or September at the earliest.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
Deal????

I played golf yesterday (7/3/05) with a player (not to be named) at Worcester (MA) CC. I asked him directly about comments on this board and others indicating that there would be something concrete from the players/league this week. He said there are still a number of issues that need resolution before a document will be available for players to look at. He seemed (my interpretation) to be saying NOT SOON.

I didn't feel like he was "BS-ing" me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad