Final Countdown . . . reported to be down to hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The people on this board are probably ten times better informed than half the playerbase, though.

Heck they've even said that themselves.

:D

Spungo*

FREE DENTAL CARE said:
I played golf yesterday (7/3/05) with a player (not to be named) at Worcester (MA) CC. I asked him directly about comments on this board and others indicating that there would be something concrete from the players/league this week. He said there are still a number of issues that need resolution before a document will be available for players to look at. He seemed (my interpretation) to be saying NOT SOON.

I didn't feel like he was "BS-ing" me.

And Spungo's prediction just keeps getting better and better.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
True, but i think the union still has to provide a copy of the agreement to every player. (part of the rules - that way there is no "we didn't know about...") Along with that there will be the abridged version with the highlites or main points to the agreement - a little easier to read and follow along.

True, and both can be posted to their web site in no time at all.

Dogbert*

Spungo said:

If you don't believe the media, why do you believe him?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
King'sPawn said:
I'm amazed how obsessed some people are with spungo. Talk about bringing people down with him.

It's the sheer hubris. Rather than shy away as his prediction gets less and less likely to happen, he's gotten bolder and bolder.

It's kinda like the guy who falls off the tall building, and as each floor passes 43, 42, ... 10, 9, he's saying "Gee, I'm almost there... things are looking good, the ground is only a few feet away, and then I can walk away from this..."

I gotta give him credit for optimism.

Large_Farva*

Spungo said:
See you in September
See you when the summer's through

Here we are (bye, baby, goodbye)
Saying goodbye at the station (bye, baby, goodbye)
Summer vacation (bye, baby bye, baby)
Is taking you away (bye, baby, goodbye)

Have a good time but remember
There is danger in the summer moon above
Will I see you in September
Or lose you to a summer love

Bye, baby, goodbye
Bye, baby, goodbye
Bye, baby, goodbye (bye-bye, so long, farewell)
Bye, baby, goodbye (bye-bye, so long)

See you (bye-bye, so long, farewell)
In September (bye-bye, so long, farewell)
I'm hopin' I'll
Well, maybe I'll

Oh... I'm reciting this song because they won't be signing the deal untill August or September at the earliest.

I'm In A Hurry To Get Things Done
(Oh,) I Rush and Rush Until Life's No Fun
All I Really Gotta Do Is Live and Die
But, I'm In A Hurry and Don't Know Why

Don't Know Why
I Have To Drive So Fast
My Car Has Nothing To Prove
It's Not New, But It'll do 0-60 In 5.2, Oh

Can't Be Late
I Leave In Plenty Of Time
Shakin' Hands With The Clock
I Can't Stop
I'm On A Roll and I'm Ready To Rock Oh,

I Hear A Voice
It Says I'm Running Behind
I Better Pick Up My Pace
It's A Race and There Ain't No Room For Someone In 2nd Place

Large_Farva*

Spungo said:

Not really. You have one "guy" almost agreeing with you and 15 other sources against you.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
nyrmessier011 said:
Nice to see our neighbors to the north bashing us again in there national newspapers.

Like it hasn't come from the other direction as well. We have to suck it up each time Canada gets slammed by the U.S. for not joining a war or having a trade embargo slapped on us for well over 2 years and going when a friggin cow is found with BSE, and all you have to deal with is us saying you don't care about hockey. Big whoop. Wanna trade?

Last edited:

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
kingsfan said:
Like it hasn't come from the other direction as well. We have to suck it up each time Canada gets slammed by the U.S. for not joining a war or having a trade embargo slapped on us for well over 2 years and going when a friggin cow is found with BSE, and all you have to deal with is us saying you don't care about hockey. Big whoop. Wanna trade?
The Simpsons writers called Americans for what they really are:

Shatner stealing Mexico touchers.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
kingsfan said:

Ummm, I hate to break it to you but the average american might be hard pressed to find Canada on a map. Then again they would be hard pressed to find Washington DC on a map too. The nuances about who is or is not supporting the war effort? Unless you are France . . . for most here do not hold your breath on that one either. And a trade embargo? Try getting most here to even define that one let alone care deeply about it.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Sorry, folks, but this is dragging on longer and longer and longer to the point where every week we start to feel it is the end, and we just get the same old "maybe next week for sure" response by Friday. I for one am fed up with it and I won't believe a damned thing until it is signed, sealed and delivered.

We're all saying "we'll have the NHL in October", but until this deal is officially and legally completed, we have a non-operational NHL. Sorry to spew my pessimism, but I'll believe it when I see it. :dunno:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
jratelle19 said:
Sorry, folks, but this is dragging on longer and longer and longer to the point where every week we start to feel it is the end, and we just get the same old "maybe next week for sure" response by Friday. I for one am fed up with it and I won't believe a damned thing until it is signed, sealed and delivered.

We're all saying "we'll have the NHL in October", but until this deal is officially and legally completed, we have a non-operational NHL. Sorry to spew my pessimism, but I'll believe it when I see it. :dunno:

You let us ALL down. For shame, jratelle :shakehead

Spungo*

jratelle19 said:

And Spungo has his first disciple. Spread the word, brah. :yo:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Each day this has dragged on has cost the teams incrementally fewer seasons' tickets sales, fewer licensed products sales, fewer advertisers, and fewer viewers. Tomorrow will be worse than today, and next week will be worse still. Eventually, within a couple of weeks, it will reach the point where it won't even be worthwhile to drop the puck in October. Attendance sucks for the U.S. teams early on anyway, what with the interference from baseball and football, and there will be a push from some quarters for a Nov.1 or Dec. 1 start, with a further pro-rated pay cut for players.

Now that linkage is a fact of life, the 'PA is throwing away millions more each day now in future salaries as they haggle over parking spots, per diems, and other nickel and dime issues. I have no idea what NHLPA negotiators are doing in there, but the Kool-Aid they are drinking afterwards must taste great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->