FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Sepp Blatter Quits

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Problem with Russia is that it is 3 years away, so only a few countries could have enough stadiums ready(England, Germany, France, and the United States. I could be missing another country). France is hosting the Euro's next year and Germany hosted in 2006. My guess is that England would get it if it were to be moved. Though I doubt 2018 is changed.

Russia as a bid was fairly attractive to begin with. Yes maybe they did some shady things, but on the surface Russia made sense in terms of a destination. I don't think anything will happen to that particular destination.

It didn't allow the amount of clear lying that the Qatar bid did. They were never going to play that in the summer, they haven't kept up at all with their promises in terms of the work force and safety issues. It could be stripped on a lot of merits.

If I was the US, I wouldn't even bid, say they will bid on future games. This wasn't what this was about and it wasn't.

These guys laundered money and broke laws in the United States. The fact they thought it was a good idea to do that here is rather staggering. But that is their undoing and the involvement in my opinion. Now maybe people could argue the loss of the bid kicked up the fervor with which this was pursued. I sort of doubt that, they caught a bunch of people doing illegal things within their jurisdiction and are going after them. That is to be expected really, now where else that leads I don't know. But the crux of the issue is nothing to do with the World Cup. It is why a substantial portion of their case to date is dealing with the Copa America being played in 2016 on US soil. They won't tolerate that and the mountain of evidence they have left behind and rolled over in providing is a massive problem for the future of Fifa at least as we have known it.

Not soon enough, but glad this is falling apart on them.

Last edited:

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I would rather UEFA just leave FIFA and play a Euro every two years until CAF, CONCACAF, AFC and CONMEBOL collapse under the the farce that is a World Cup without European nations. Hell, UEFA could easily ban players from outside confederations from participating with their national teams if they want to earn the big bucks in Europe. If I'm Platini these would be my first moves. Besides, Euros are far more entertaining than the World Cup in terms of competition level.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
UEFA can talk or even threaten a big game, but when push comes to shove, I don't see them going anywhere.

As for the election, who's to say Prince Ali isn't half as corrupt as Blatter? Not like this organization does integrity checks.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Problem is, the voting system is so broken, it needs to be overhauled entirely. Who had the bright idea of giving civilized nations like the US, Germany, England, France the same voting power as Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Jordan is beyond a dumbass. This would never fly with the former five, every single civilized nation would have him blackballed from every sports organization if they could. Problem is, for the latter 5, they don't care; corruption is perfectl acceptable, just a way of life to them, and they can be swayed to vote with a little financial "incentive".

Yeah, I'll let that little "civilized" comment slide...:squint:

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
One thing that irritates me is that the investigation from the FBI is only on CONMEBOL and CONCACAF. There is no way that there aren't any officials from the other confederations that aren't as corrupt if not more. And that includes UEFA.

I love how Putin is resenting the US and the investigation when they uncovered some of the most corrupt people in the sport and could lead to them confirming that Russia's bid had corruption coming out of its ass.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
One thing that irritates me is that the investigation from the FBI is only on CONMEBOL and CONCACAF. There is no way that there aren't any officials from the other confederations that aren't as corrupt if not more. And that includes UEFA.

I love how Putin is resenting the US and the investigation when they uncovered some of the most corrupt people in the sport and could lead to them confirming that Russia's bid had corruption coming out of its ass.

They are only going after the people against whom their informant, Charles Blazer, gave them information. All of them have ties or do business in the US, where CONCACAF headquarters are located. The connections with CONMEBOL come through the Traffic Sports conglomerate, a primarily Brazilian group with a US affiliate, or the Nike deal with the Brazilian federation. African officials on the other hand likely have no ties to the US at all, and thus would be outside of the scope of the investigation.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
They are only going after the people against whom their informant, Charles Blazer, gave them information. All of them have ties or do business in the US, where CONCACAF headquarters are located. The connections with CONMEBOL come through the Traffic Sports conglomerate, a primarily Brazilian group with a US affiliate, or the Nike deal with the Brazilian federation. African officials on the other hand likely have no ties to the US at all, and thus would be outside of the scope of the investigation.

I'm sure they have dirt on so many more people, but know that it would be very hard to assert jurisdiction on them. Hopefully, if they have information on others, they can share it with law enforcement of other countries able to act. The Swiss will continue to play a major role here.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Crook Platini says UEFA might boycott future World Cups if Blatter is re-elected. I'm not totally against UEFA stepping away from FIFA, especially considering Blatter will take away spots, but its somewhat comical Platini acting moral :laugh:

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

I understand that, I'm just saying generally there is bound to be even more cases outside that jurisdiction and no one is doing anything about it. It's so blatantly obvious it's frustrating that only the tip of the ice-berg (a significant one nonetheless) is being investigated.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I understand that, I'm just saying generally there is bound to be even more cases outside that jurisdiction and no one is doing anything about it. It's so blatantly obvious it's frustrating that only the tip of the ice-berg (a significant one nonetheless) is being investigated.

They will most likely pass off the information they can't use to prosecute to the authorities that can. Whether or not they act on it is up to them.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well Putin is probably one of the most corrupted "politician". He is a dictator and will do as he wishes and protect his other dictator friend like Blatter.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Next year? Platini.... :handclap:

Yup :nod:
You won't find me being the hypocritical one like some others and say "others" bribe.
I've said all along it's not a matter of how much you bribe, everyone does it.
France did it just as much as anyone. Not enough to get the Paris Olympic games, where London paid the most.
Enough to get the EC in 16, while England didn't pay enough for WC 18.
That's most likely how it went.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
For what it's worth, anyone in the top executive structure should be thrown out.

Platini might be the best guy in there now to take over, but to suggest that he might be unaware or not involved in any of this is short sighted.

The whole tree is rotten. Probably to the core.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Despite the broad nature of the charges, the case itself arrived at the Justice Department as something of a surprise. The four-year F.B.I. investigation grew out of an unrelated inquiry into aspects of Russian organized crime by the Eurasian Joint Organized Crime Task Force in the F.B.I.’s New York office, according to people with knowledge of the case’s origins. Authorities soon realized the potential scope of an investigation into the sporting world’s most powerful, secretive organization.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/s...arges-blatter-isnt-among-them.html?ref=soccer

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Every single WC has had shady dealings surrounding it - bribery, corruption, etc. But what's happening in Qatar is unacceptable. That's what has really got me.

I don't even care where it ends up - it cannot be held there. The amount of workers dying, and the treatment of those living isn't a corruption case - it's ****ing human rights abuse.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Every single WC has had shady dealings surrounding it - bribery, corruption, etc. But what's happening in Qatar is unacceptable. That's what has really got me.

I don't even care where it ends up - it cannot be held there. The amount of workers dying, and the treatment of those living isn't a corruption case - it's ****ing human rights abuse.
This.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I really hope Blatter gets re elected for the lulz

He will, its a forgone conclusion, I just want to see the victory speech :laugh:

Lets see if UEFA have the balls to boycott future World Cups like they threatened. I doubt they go through with it and watch Blatter reduce UEFA's World Cup spots

They say UEFA is overwhelmingly going to vote for Ali but I'm curious who some of the UEFA members that will not go along with Platini. Russia for sure is one, I guess some of their allies too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad