FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Sepp Blatter Quits

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Oh don't worry, England offered plently. Just less than Qatar. That's what has happenned in every WC.
WC 98 was bought too, reportedly. No surprise there. I might add that I wouldn't be surprised if it was bought on the pitch as well.

Apparently the only clean bid for 2018 & 2022 was the Netherlands/Belgium one, every other bid had some sort of bribery involved, whether big or small

Sep 19, 2008
ZLms6wD.jpg

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Oh don't worry, England offered plently. Just less than Qatar. That's what has happenned in every WC.
WC 98 was bought too, reportedly. No surprise there. I might add that I wouldn't be surprised if it was bought on the pitch as well.

Not saying we didn't offer anything.

Just that knowing us we couldn't even do bribing right.

Can't. They had to build new stadiums and make renovations to increase capacity. Too late for that.

Columbia were removed as hosts of the World Cup way back when 3 years and 7 months before it. Netherlands would need some building and changes but I think they could do it.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Even if Blatter isn't implicated in any way, shape or form (which I highly doubt), you can't be the president of an organization with this much corruption and not be held accountable. It is purely down to poor leadership and selfish motives that have led them to this point. Blatter has not fixed FIFA, he shouldn't be re-elected.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Even if Blatter isn't implicated in any way, shape or form (which I highly doubt), you can't be the president of an organization with this much corruption and not be held accountable. It is purely down to poor leadership and selfish motives that have led them to this point. Blatter has not fixed FIFA, he shouldn't be re-elected.

Exactly. Whether Blatter personally took money or not, he's presided over a horribly corrupt organization for nearly two decades now without any serious attempt to reform it. He sure as heck isn't the guy to fix FIFA's issues.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Problem is, the voting system is so broken, it needs to be overhauled entirely. Who had the bright idea of giving civilized nations like the US, Germany, England, France the same voting power as Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Jordan is beyond a dumbass. This would never fly with the former five, every single civilized nation would have him blackballed from every sports organization if they could. Problem is, for the latter 5, they don't care; corruption is perfectl acceptable, just a way of life to them, and they can be swayed to vote with a little financial "incentive".

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England

he's been in charge for 17 years, he's either complicit or incompetent

either way there is no way anyone could support him as a leader

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Was just reading the latest article in "Der Spiegel" - they think Blatter is finished because Jack Warner is going to completely spill the beans to reduce his own penalties. Man, at this point I would no longer guarantee that Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022 are a sure thing.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Was just reading the latest article in "Der Spiegel" - they think Blatter is finished because Jack Warner is going to completely spill the beans to reduce his own penalties. Man, at this point I would no longer guarantee that Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022 are a sure thing.

Problem with Russia is that it is 3 years away, so only a few countries could have enough stadiums ready(England, Germany, France, and the United States. I could be missing another country). France is hosting the Euro's next year and Germany hosted in 2006. My guess is that England would get it if it were to be moved. Though I doubt 2018 is changed.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Problem is, the voting system is so broken, it needs to be overhauled entirely. Who had the bright idea of giving civilized nations like the US, Germany, England, France the same voting power as Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Jordan is beyond a dumbass. This would never fly with the former five, every single civilized nation would have him blackballed from every sports organization if they could. Problem is, for the latter 5, they don't care; corruption is perfectl acceptable, just a way of life to them, and they can be swayed to vote with a little financial "incentive".

"civilized"

I shared the immediate reaction of many people in this thread that it is almost guaranteed that numerous FIFA officials roll on Blatter because they aren't part of a culture that stigmatizes snitching like most other organized criminal groups.

I think Qatar could be in trouble. I highly doubt Russia is.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Carve out the rot and the tree will either collapse or regrow stronger. Hopefully it's the latter and not the former.

Although, I would be lying if I said I didn't want UEFA to lead a walk out.

An organization isn't a tree. If some members are removed, others will take their place and be corrupted by the exact same forces that corrupted their predecessors.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00