FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Sepp Blatter Quits

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Pretty much what I thought when France (98) and Germany (2006) got it

Also when Atlanta got the OG over Athens

France and Germany were as blatant to you as Qatar was? I don't think so...Qatar was the worst rated in FIFA's own assessment hahaha if that doest just outright scream "we give 0 fks about hiding our corruption" I don't know what does

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Pretty much what I thought when France (98) and Germany (2006) got it

Also when Atlanta got the OG over Athens

You've been on record extolling the Middle East having a Cup in the past. I realize and feel they should have a cup at some point, but the steps taken to make it happen are ridiculous.

I realize you might not feel that Qatar has done anything that other groups have done in the past, but it's a matter of extent and degree.

The whole "We'll have artificial clouds or stadiums with AC" was ridiculous.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
This is why the WC cannot be held or supported in Qatar.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ustrates-the-consequences-of-fifa-corruption/

imrs.php

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
As much as I'd love for the U.S to get 2022 if there is a re-bid, just stripping Qatar of it would be enough for me.

Election is tomorrow right? That should be interesting, I'd be surprised if UEFA actually walks out but if they do I wonder who would follow them.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
As much as I'd love for the U.S to get 2022 if there is a re-bid, just stripping Qatar of it would be enough for me.

Election is tomorrow right? That should be interesting, I'd be surprised if UEFA actually walks out but if they do I wonder who would follow them.

Is there a precedent of individual countries breaking from their confederations? If UEFA does walk away from FIFA and CONCACAF doesn't I can see the USA and Mexico walking away from CONCACAF to join whatever UEFA becomes.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Credit card company Visa are now threatening to pull out of their sponsorship deal with FIFA, unless it acts quickly to clean it's act. Adidas, Coca-Cola, HundaiMotor, McDonalds and Budweiser have also expressed their concern over FIFA's culture.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This whole thing is amazing... like so many possibilities. With as much power as the U.S and Mexico have I could see them influencing the rest of CONCACAF to join them in leaving FIFA. As a Canadian I'll be very disappointed if the CSA stays

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Is there a precedent of individual countries breaking from their confederations? If UEFA does walk away from FIFA and CONCACAF doesn't I can see the USA and Mexico walking away from CONCACAF to join whatever UEFA becomes.

Since the world cup is based on your standings in those confederations, does that mean that if uefa breaks off, we can theoretically have a WC without Europe?

Can you imagine a WC without Europe?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

America, Australia....maybe one or two others.

But I doubt they'll walk out anyway. Platini is too much of a FIFA man, and most southern and eastern European nations care way less about all this kind of thing than the northern European nations.

England will stick to their guns and refuse to take their seat on the executive committee, and the ROW will go "great, now we don't have to put up with their sanctimonious meddling! Lets celebrate by gifting ourselves some more gold plated iPads! I'm off back home to the Cayman Islands, anyone want to share a lift on my private plane?"

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Credit card company Visa are now threatening to pull out of their sponsorship deal with FIFA, unless it acts quickly to clean it's act. Adidas, Coca-Cola, HundaiMotor, McDonalds and Budweiser have also expressed their concern over FIFA's culture.

I feel like that's Visa saying "do not re-elect Blatter".

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And lol did china really try to claim that only 6 people died preparing for the beijing games. :laugh: That's even more brazen than giving the WC to Qatar

Now if they actually did this once the furor died down and investigation end, that might actually lead to some cleaning up of FIFA...but we'll see if that ever actually comes to anything.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What exactly is achieved by UEFA leaving FIFA?

To save face, to seperate themselves from these crooks. Everyone here has had a hand in this including UEFA but for them to seperate thenselves maybe Platini looks at this as an opportunity to be looked as the next in line to run the whole operation of soccer in the world

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
UEFA announced that all of it's member countries will be voting for Blatter's opponent.

Platini actually said most UEFA countries will vote for Prince Ali Hussein and that he will try to convince the remaining ones to do so as well. Or in other words, there are still some UEFA members that support Blatter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad