FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Sepp Blatter Quits

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/s...orruption-charges-in-us.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=1

ZURICH — Swiss authorities began an extraordinary early-morning operation here Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges.
As leaders of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, gathered for their annual meeting, more than a dozen plain-clothed Swiss law enforcement officials arrived unannounced at the Baur au Lac hotel, an elegant five-star property with views of the Alps and Lake Zurich.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It was later revealed by England’s bid chief that four ExCo members had solicited bribes from him for their votes; one asked for $2.5 million, while another, Nicolas Leoz of Paraguay, requested a knighthood.

My favorite part by far. No shame.

void

Jan 5, 2006
It was later revealed by England’s bid chief that four ExCo members had solicited bribes from him for their votes; one asked for $2.5 million, while another, Nicolas Leoz of Paraguay, requested a knighthood.
My favorite part by far. No shame.

Amazing. :laugh:

So is this all about Murica wanting to host the WC ?

Think about all that money ....

That definitely seems to be the case.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So is this all about Murica wanting to host the WC ?

Think about all that money ....

It's actually about how FIFA humiliated Bill Clinton. He campaigned for 2 years for the U.S. bid, and then they had the audacity to award it to Qatar for some money under the table. He was furious.

Slick Willie gon get you.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Noice

Hopefully this leads up to stripping that WC from Qatari hands

Hope so dude.

Will stop the death.

Infrastructure in place. US/AUS/ENG all excellent places. Not to mention seven years to get it ready?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Hope so dude.

Will stop the death.

Infrastructure in place. US/AUS/ENG all excellent places. Not to mention seven years to get it ready?

Only some of it actually.
Qatar would not stop building impressive infrastructure just because they might lose the World Cup. There are other huge projects and on those people will still die.
But a lot of people who are upset now will not really care anymore, which is a tragedy in itself.

Still hope they take it away. Not because I don't want Qatar to have or because I don't want the World Cup played in the Winter, but because, by all accounts, it just wasn't the best bid. And if the other countries had better bids then the best of them should get the World Cup. If Qatar ever makes the best bid, then by all means give it to them if you can ensure the safety and well being of the workers there, but when the competition is better, then there is no way Qatar should have the World Cup.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Australia or US for 2022...thrilled with either. I have friends in a few cities down in Australia (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, and just outside of Adelaide), so I'd likely be able to go for the full month and experience it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->