New York Islanders: Feb 28th game against leafs Moved to the Coliseum!

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
A good way to understand islanders fans anger is this. A HOTBSUPER MODEL leaves Derek Jeter he doesn't spend time hating her. He gets a new one the same day. A hot super model leaves a guy who can't get another girl, he becomes filled with rage, anger, wants bad things to happen to her. He knows he won't be getting another girl like that again. If JT asked for a trade from Toronto next year, leaf fans would be like "ok great let's get a great defenseman for him no problem". Islanders fans lose JT. "'OH great now we lose franchise center for nothing and LOU can't trade or sign first liners cause they don't like the islanders....JT you are the worst! Hope you break a leg and it never heals!

All this booing yet they are going to hold a John Tavares tribute. Now the Islanders may get some national exposure. So what happens if the games a blowout?
I don't get the anger and hate. JT took less money and re-signed as an Islander. Management failed to surround him with talent. We barely made the playoffs during his tenor. We aren't a young and exciting team and haven't had a true number 1 goalie and we are playing in two arenas. The commute isn't fun and Brooklyn is horrible for hockey. Attendance is even worse this year and NY isn't a great hockey town.
I wanted JT to be an Islander also.
But what's the incentive to stay?
I understand people are upset about how he left but if JT said mid season I maybe leaving trade me would fans still boo?
Or If he got traded ? What if he said he wasnt happy with the direction of the team instead of how much he loved the team and the Island?
Did Tavares disrespect the fans by becoming a Leaf?
If he went to the Rangers then I'd call him a traitor. Did JT rub it in anyone's face ala Lebron?
Why has Tavares become the villain?

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
All this booing yet they are going to hold a John Tavares tribute. Now the Islanders may get some national exposure. So what happens if the games a blowout?
I don't get the anger and hate. JT took less money and re-signed as an Islander. Management failed to surround him with talent. We barely made the playoffs during his tenor. We aren't a young and exciting team and haven't had a true number 1 goalie and we are playing in two arenas. The commute isn't fun and Brooklyn is horrible for hockey. Attendance is even worse this year and NY isn't a great hockey town.
I wanted JT to be an Islander also.

But what's the incentive to stay?
I understand people are upset about how he left but if JT said mid season I maybe leaving trade me would fans still boo?
Or If he got traded ? What if he said he wasnt happy with the direction of the team instead of how much he loved the team and the Island?
Did Tavares disrespect the fans by becoming a Leaf?
If he went to the Rangers then I'd call him a traitor. Did JT rub it in anyone's face ala Lebron?
Why has Tavares become the villain?

If any of the reasons bolded above was the reason he left I would have understood and harbor no ill will towards Judas91. These WOULD have all been good reasons to have left the team, but unless you've been living under a rock, NONE of these reasons was why he left. He left simply because he always dreamed of being a Leaf. He said so in his explanation. And he screwed the Islanders ability to get a fair return on him by his deceptive statements over 2 years. Who knows how well this team would be doing right now if they had gotten something in return. He left us empty handed and helped a conference rival. Basically he screwed us over.

The Islanders were never fully in his heart. It was just another logo. His heart was always with the Maple Leafs. They had this guy parading around with the Captain's uniform and all the while he was pining to play for another team. He's playing great hockey now because hes putting his full effort where his passion always lay. He was never a true Islander. All the belief we had in this guy was one big charade. He's a traitorous snake.

Last edited:

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
What you are failing to understand is most humans, tell people what they want to hear. It's called being polite. JT told the owners last year he needed to be on a winner. He told the media he loved being a islanders. He went Toronto and told them how he always loved the leafs.
FEW THINGS.
almost all pro athletes are not huge fans as a kid of any team. They are busy playing sports not watching sports. That's why you rarely see canadien players trying to get on canadien teams as free agents.
JT signed his last deal at a discount and in the deal gave up a year of his UFA. If he was secretly planning on going to toronto since his draft day he wouldn't of signed his last deal, sure wouldn't of signed at a discount, and definitely not given up a year of free agency. I don't know what's so difficult for a fan to put themselves in the other person's shoes, and look at things from their perspective. JT wanted to be on a good team, the ISLES for JTs entire career could never sign a free agent and were only able to trade for good NHL players once in his career, the day they added leddy and boychuck. The team was trending backwards and he bailed. 99% of others would of bailed as well.

Reactions: bigtim1988

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We're not re-hashing what did or didn't, what should or shouldn't have happened. Stick to talking about the game and the date change.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm not advocating anything but I really hope no one is dumb enough to go there with a leaf jersey that day. To say it would go extremely bad would be an understatement. It's going to be openly hostile there.

If you are that obtuse as a fan to what may happen to you during this particular game then you deserve every beer that gets poured on you.

Also, I am looking forward to this so much, please do not disappoint Isles fans, good chants, clever posters, and plenty of pajamas please!!!

Cameraguy

Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, that really sucks. You are exactly the situation that MJF is talking about. I'd email the Islanders and (calmly) explain the situation. Who knows? Maybe they'll do something.
Ya I got my refund from the hotel and booked the Marriott hotel. Now what’s the best way to get from LGA airport to the Coliseum?

Chris Evans

Oct 25, 2018
My wife and i are big Hockey fans based in UK
We have planned an NHL trip for many years
We bought tkts for the Barclays Centre and paid $40 ea. We are getting a refund, fair enough. However there are very few tkts left and what are, are $1oos.
What annoys me is not so much the game has been moved but that we can find no info on why. NHL & Islanders just ignore us. Is that true re Michael Buble or just a joke. The only help we have had is off one helpful other fan who has given us suggestions over getting tkts.
This shows NHL in particular as well as Isanders in a poor light.
Just leaves a nasty taste
Happy Hockey Days Everyone

Isles Shawn

Aug 3, 2010
Long Island, NY
We bought tkts for the Barclays Centre and paid $40 ea. We are getting a refund, fair enough. However there are very few tkts left and what are, are $1oos.
What annoys me is not so much the game has been moved but that we can find no info on why. NHL & Islanders just ignore us. Is that true re Michael Buble or just a joke. The only help we have had is off one helpful other fan who has given us suggestions over getting tkts.

Have you checked stubhub.com to buy on the secondary market?

Reactions: Chris Evans

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I was assuming that if you had tix to BK they would just translate to similar seats at NVMC. The post above makes it seem like you get a refund for BK and then have to independently find tix for NVMC?

Last edited:

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Ya I got my refund from the hotel and booked the Marriott hotel. Now what’s the best way to get from LGA airport to the Coliseum?

Rebook to JFK.

Seriously though, it depends what time your flight arrives. You might be better off taking the bus or Uber to Woodside, then taking the LIRR to Hempstead or Westbury and Uber again.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

If you write to the Islanders and ask them to transfer your tickets to the Coliseum, I would be very surprised if they don't do it. May not be exactly the same spot, but they should honor your ticket purchase for sure.

They may be a bit disorganized but they do usually try to do the right thing.

You've got time - give it a bit before you do anything drastic (like cancel your trip). Hopefully it will all work out without too much inconvenience.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The Buble thing is just a joke. They won't reveal a legitimate reason, but it's likely because they know that game will sell better by being in Nassau. I'm not sure which game number of the season it is, but the Isles play by play guy made reference to the fact that the last 21 games of the season are at the coliseum or something like that. So if the Toronto game was in the middle of those last ones, it might have just made sense for them to shift it to the Coliseum instead of having a one off in Brooklyn.

Sorry you're having a rough time with the ticket exchange, it's definitely a ridiculous move to make, especially without offering people with tickets the option to exchange it first.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Moved because it's a national game. People want to watch JT on tv destroy his old team and quiet the booing. Barclays isn't the ideal venue and the new Colisuem fits better even though the seats are less.
Also I believe the Islanders play at the Coliseum a tonight or two prior to this game.

Chris Evans

Oct 25, 2018
If you write to the Islanders and ask them to transfer your tickets to the Coliseum, I would be very surprised if they don't do it. May not be exactly the same spot, but they should honor your ticket purchase for sure.

They may be a bit disorganized but they do usually try to do the right thing.

You've got time - give it a bit before you do anything drastic (like cancel your trip). Hopefully it will all work out without too much inconvenience.
Thanks Crasherino appreciated

Chris Evans

Oct 25, 2018
The Buble thing is just a joke. They won't reveal a legitimate reason, but it's likely because they know that game will sell better by being in Nassau. I'm not sure which game number of the season it is, but the Isles play by play guy made reference to the fact that the last 21 games of the season are at the coliseum or something like that. So if the Toronto game was in the middle of those last ones, it might have just made sense for them to shift it to the Coliseum instead of having a one off in Brooklyn.

Sorry you're having a rough time with the ticket exchange, it's definitely a ridiculous move to make, especially without offering people with tickets the option to exchange it first.
Thanks Pk

Chris Evans

Oct 25, 2018
Thanks to everyone for your kind help, this is what makes hockey the game we all love

Good luck Isles

Will let ya know the outcome

Thanks again guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad