New York Islanders: Feb 28th game against leafs Moved to the Coliseum!

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I dunno man. Based on what I've read here it's basically impossible to get to/from Brooklyn and Nassau. Some have tried either via LIRR or car but I don't believe any succeeded. It's actually horrific.
Yeah certainly could be a craptastic commute. Leave Brooklyn real early. Make it a day trip to Uniondale. Go to Chrebets bar n grill. Dude I dunno. I ain’t no travel agent. Again, to me, just doesn’t seem like that huge a deal. Inconvenient if you already have made plans? Yes. Impossible to overcome? Hardly.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I understand the viewpoint. Keep the non refundable hotel. Now all you need is just a longer Uber ride. Doesn’t really seem like a lot to ***** about, IMO. But I’m not going to the game either way, so my opinion ain’t worth doot.
I am just finishing up planning a road trip for January. I've spent way too much time focusing on things like timing of flights, location of hotel, food, etc. If the game was moved over an hour away, I would be really pissed.

An old adage I often refer back to is "You can't be someone else's banker." Likewise here, you can't be someone else's travel agent. To you, its just a little longer uber ride. To someone else, it messes up their whole plans. Who knows what someone was planning on doing based on the game being in Brooklyn. Maybe they planned a business meeting downtown around the trip that would end at 6pm - perfect for a 7:05pm puck drop in Brooklyn. Maybe they're flying in to Newark and plan to arrive at 4:30 - good luck getting to Nassau.

Its not the end of the world and there are probably more people who are excited about the move than are upset (demonstrating why the team should be on the Island once again), but once the game is set, you should probably just leave it set. I doubt there is some really compelling reason here that we are missing.

Reactions: Mkdaman1818

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Right now - at 3:20pm, - its $120 for a 90 minute + Uber ride out to Nassau Coliseum. I suspect that will only get worse over the next 3 hours.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
They selected the which games would be played in each arena over three months ago. Now they decide that because they have a back-to-back in two different arenas (which really isn't a big deal in the first place because lots of teams play back-to-backs in different cities) they need to change the venue? I don't understand why they weren't scheduled in the same arena from the beginning.

I can't believe the league is allowing this.

Yeah, that really sucks. You are exactly the situation that MJF is talking about. I'd email the Islanders and (calmly) explain the situation. Who knows? Maybe they'll do something.

Short of a comped or discounted hotel on LI, what can the Islanders do?

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
I dunno man. Based on what I've read here it's basically impossible to get to/from Brooklyn and Nassau. Some have tried either via LIRR or car but I don't believe any succeeded. It's actually horrific.

You take the LIRR from Brooklyn to Merrick, Carle Place, Westbury, or Hempstead and then take a 5-10 minute Uber. It's basically the exact same commute that everyone from LI who goes to Barclay Center has to tolerate.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
They selected the which games would be played in each arena over three months ago. Now they decide that because they have a back-to-back in two different arenas (which really isn't a big deal in the first place because lots of teams play back-to-backs in different cities) they need to change the venue? I don't understand why they weren't scheduled in the same arena from the beginning.

I can't believe the league is allowing this.

Short of a comped or discounted hotel on LI, what can the Islanders do?

They could comp seats, somehow comp a hotel (I bet the Islanders have a pretty good relationship with the Marriott next door), figure out a ride for him back to Brooklyn, put him on the Zamboni during intermission, something else that has value that I haven't thought of.

Most likely they'll do nothing other than extend their apologies, but I wouldn't be shocked if they would do something. It wouldn't be too much skin off their back and there aren't too many similarly situated people like him that would invite copycat requests. If presented in the right way, its possible it could pay off. No real downside.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You take the LIRR from Brooklyn to Merrick, Carle Place, Westbury, or Hempstead and then take a 5-10 minute Uber. It's basically the exact same commute that everyone from LI who goes to Barclay Center has to tolerate.

That's not the point. The guy who already planned a road trip for this game (and there's at least one apparently) who has already made his plans, is not signing on for the hardship tour that is the LIRR during rush hour. Doubly so on the way home.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
44716162_10156890897382340_4215651877246730240_n.jpg
And the Bush league gets even bushier

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016

From Brooklyn to NVMC it's $12 or $13.50 LIRR Hempstead or Westbury (about 50 minutes.) Then who knows about Uber fares at that time, probably in the $10-$20 range for a 10 minute ride during rush hour.

Getting back is another animal because there may be a surge and long wait, which may have you missing a train that leaves once an hour at best. The LIRR would be $8.75 Or $9.75.

Reactions: Mkdaman1818

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
FWIW there’s a company Rally Bus that does crowdpowered chartered buses to events, and I’ve used them for years across the country, especially for football games. I’ve sent in a request to list this particular game, so if there’s enough appetite to get a bus together from nyc to get to the coliseum, it could be a massive convenience, especially for the person who booked a hotel into Brooklyn.

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta
To suggest that the Islanders did this intentionally as part of some plan to get back at JT is just silly.

On an unrelated note, the team just announced that they are honoring the long-time LI band "The Good Rats" that night, and all fans will get a souvenir plastic rat upon entering the arena. Neat!

They should make them look like Tavares.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
From Brooklyn to NVMC it's $12 or $13.50 LIRR Hempstead or Westbury (about 50 minutes.) Then who knows about Uber fares at that time, probably in the $10-$20 range for a 10 minute ride during rush hour.

Getting back is another animal because there may be a surge and long wait, which may have you missing a train that leaves once an hour at best. The LIRR would be $8.75 Or $9.75.
That's BS. It takes much longer than you're assuming that you don't get squished to death on the LIRR or shot in Brooklyn.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016

No, it isn't because everyone on LI has access to a car after the game. Like I just said in my last post, if you're coming from the city you risk missing the train back home after the game.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
That's BS. It takes much longer than you're assuming that you don't get squished to death on the LIRR or shot in Brooklyn.

Or if he left penniless after paying for the LIRR ticket.

(I'm so special. I quoted the wrong post.)

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
The fans hate JT So much they all are going to see him lol...to boo him...Lol grown men booing other grown men. Really weird. All you are doing is showing barzal his future if he needs to leave someday himself to see some playoff games

Reactions: Newsworthy

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think it is.

But I really kinda hope it’s not

I know....I think I made that exact same joke in one of the Tavares threads way back then. When I saw it, my immediate reaction was "holy shit - they're doing it." Its a good photshop job too.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Think Judas will develop a phantom injury right before the game making him unable to go that night?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad