TV: Favorite Show that only lasted 1 season or less?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Eh, not going to repeat, so going with a two season show in Frisky Dingo.

Can't get into Archer but loved FD

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Rubicon.

Slow as all hell but I loved the premise.

Cancelled midway through?

Right. It's pretty common for networks to only have a certain number of episodes done before it's picked up for a full season by a network. Obviously this is done differently by online networks.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Cancelled midway through? And give us an answer!
Bam!

1. The Dekalog - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
2. Cowboy Bebop - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
3. The Office UK - 4.5 or 5.0 (Brilliant/Masterpiece) -- cheating... 2 years, 12 episodes
4. Horace and Pete - 4.5 (Brilliant)
5. Freaks and Geeks - 4.5 (Brilliant)
6. Planet Earth - 4.5 (Brilliant)
7. Kaiba - 4.0 (Flawless)
8. Spaced - 3.5 (Great) -- cheating... 2 years, 14 episodes
9. Tatami Galaxy - 3.5 (Great)
10. Ping-Pong: The Animation - 3.5 (Great)
11. Planet Earth II - 3.0 or 3.5 (Very Good/Great)
12. Blue Planet II - 3.0 or 3.5 (Very Good/Great)
13. Monster - 3.0 (Very Good)
14. Band of Brothers - 3.0 (Very Good)
15. Samurai Champloo - 3.0 (Very Good)
16. Generation Kill - 2.5 (Good)

I was never really all that blown away by Firefly to be honest. Felt like a campy but fun poor-man's live-action Cowboy Bebop to me. I liked it, but I always found the rabid cult following a little bit strange.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Battlestar-Galactica.jpg

ShowImages_TerraNova.jpg

almost-human.jpg

Space+Above+and+Beyond+Soundtrack.jpg

p183963_b_v3_aa.jpg

300px-Police_squad_in_colour.jpg

400px-JourneymanPoster2007.jpg

2002TwilightZone_zpsd4105d94.jpg

Reactions: Babe Ruth

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Quarry comes to mind as my favorite 1 season show. Terriers was also pretty cool.

I won't count any miniseries like The Night Of/Band of Brothers/Big Little Lies for these purposes.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016

Ducks,
Do u remember there was a brief Battlestar spin-off: Galactica 1980 (?)
Very short-lived, but had some really good episodes, where their ship had landed on modern-day Earth. I think in subsequent syndication, the 1980 series was just rolled in to Battlestar Galactica reruns..

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Ducks,
Very short-lived, but had some really good episodes, where their ship had landed on modern-day Earth. I think in subsequent syndication, the 1980 series was just rolled in to Battlestar Galactica reruns..

Yes I remember it was OK but it just wasn't the same as the original I liked the original a lot.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Ducks,

Isn't Galactica 1980 considered garbage by the fanbase. I'm always told the best episode was the last one with Starbuck.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Isn't Galactica 1980 considered garbage by the fanbase. I'm always told the best episode was the last one with Starbuck.

39, yeah.. that's possible. I'm not really in to the culture of die-hard, fickle sci-fi fans. I just liked Galactica 1980's change of setting (cast being on Earth).
I used to run around Santa Clarita CA in the early 2000s. It was cool for me to see Galactica 1980 reruns recently, bcuz a lot of it was filmed around Santa Clarita, 30 years earlier. I liked seeing SCV in a simpler time.

There was also a cool graphic novel based on the 1980 episodes..
514347e77c8c9d5529160939cc1adaaf--battlestar-galactica-.jpg

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Thought of another single season I liked.. The Ben Stiller Show.
Single season on Fox (early 9os), basically a GenerationX sketch comedy. Stiller had Andy Dick as a regular on it. Funny..

sddefault.jpg

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Thought of another single season I liked.. The Ben Stiller Show.
Single season on Fox (early 9os), basically a GenerationX sketch comedy. Stiller had Andy Dick as a regular on it. Funny..
I liked it, but it was too focused on contemporary pop culture, so it's aged poorly. Bob Odenkirk and David Cross pretty much turned it into Mr. Show and made it a much better show, which has aged a lot better.

I'll also throw another vote in for Sports Show w/ Norm MacDonald. Also Million Dollar Extreme: World Peace.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I liked it, but it was too focused on contemporary pop culture, so it's aged poorly..

Hans, ..ironically that's why I value the Stiller show. It was so focused on contemporary (Gen X) culture, that it's good nostalgia for me now. I rented the series from (hard copy) Netflix couple years ago..

That era on Fox, had a lot of short-lived shows. Network didn't have nationwide saturation yet.. I guess it was a struggle to find audience(s). A good Fox drama that preceded Stiller was Werewolf. Series about a guy who was the victim of a Werewolf bite, trying to navigate life & vengeance.. I'd like to rewatch some of this stuff, see how it hits me now y'know.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
If miniseries counts then Cosmos: A Personal Voyage (Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey was pretty good too) or Planet Earth. Otherwise Freaks and Geeks

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Also while it was far from being one of the best shows it would've been interesting had Aliens in America been on network TV in today's political climate.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I thought of another brief series I liked Do Over..

A guy in his 30s is able to travel back to his early '8os childhood, and do things over.. It was on about 15 years ago, (on one of the smaller networks WB, CW, etc). Good nostalgia trip.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Another decent show that only survived half-a-season was Night Visions.

Twilight Zone type series hosted by Henry Rollins, aired on Fox, early 2000s. If you're in to Tales from the Crypt, Outer Limits etc u might dig it. Full episodes are uploaded to YouTube.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad