TV: Favorite Show that only lasted 1 season or less?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not my favorite show but I just finished watching the first season of Me,Myself, and I and I thought it was a really good family show with a great concept. Definitely original. I liked Gang Related too.

Reactions: Cor

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Camelot on STARZ. Only 1 season, but I LOVED that show. I'm a big fan of the Arthurian legend. It also helps that I think Eva Green is an incredibly talented actress and one of the most beautiful women on the planet. Joseph Fiennes was a great Merlin and Claire Forlani was awesome as Igraine. I will admit that the actor who played Arthur was not that great, but the show focused more on Merlin (Fiennes) and Morgan (Green) than it did Arthur.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm not sure if I posted this already. but:

Backstrom was an incredible show. He was basically Dr. House, but a detective instead of a Doctor, played brilliantly by Rainn Wilson (Dwight from the Office)

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Not sure how long Undeclared went for. I think just one season. I really liked that show though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Terra Nova was a lot of fun. Real disappointed it was only one season.

the writing was on the wall even before the show premiered.

It was filmed in Australia and many of the English cast and some American cast had a problem for how long the show tied them up for the first season. The two that went on record were Christine Adams and Shelly Conn(I believe it was those two) Due to the shooting schedule and delays in shooting they had to either turn down other stuff or had to pull out of previously agreed upon work. Stephen Lang who in movies/TV usually only plays military guys is a great theatre actor and he had signed onto do a Broadway play--which he had to pull out of due to over shooting schedule of terra nova. Jason O'Mara did his best to sound disappointed when the show was cancelled but he did admit that the show's demands were bigger then most realised.

There was also a lot of drama behind the scenes as Fox had been "burned" by Space: Above and Beyond in the 90's so they took a very hesitant approach to the show and while giving the show lots of money--some believe they did not give the show enough love

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Freaks and Geeks
Undergrads
My So Called Life

My so-called life cancellation should come with an * beside it. Claire Danes has taken the high road in the discussion--but some believe that she did not want to do a second season. She had 3 movies in the can waiting to get realised and she signed onto to Romeo and Juliet with Leo half way through shooting the first season and she wanted to do movies. Then we have everyones crazy Jared Leto and he too had signed on to do a bunch of movies that would have limited his availability for season 2

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With the Original Battlestar Galactica --what annoyed fans of the show was the fact about 3 months after the cancelled it they wanted to bring it back--problem was even before the ink was dry on the cancelation notice key actors signed on for other stuff Dirk Benedict has signed onto do several TV movies and so had Richard Hatch--Hatch's version is that he suggested taking one year to allow him and Dirk to do the tv movies they signed on for and they would come back. Of course the decision was made to make Galactica 1980 and everyone agrees that if that was what they had in mind for the second season of the original show--they are happy that NBC did not wait

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
My so-called life cancellation should come with an * beside it. Claire Danes has taken the high road in the discussion--but some believe that she did not want to do a second season. She had 3 movies in the can waiting to get realised and she signed onto to Romeo and Juliet with Leo half way through shooting the first season and she wanted to do movies. Then we have everyones crazy Jared Leto and he too had signed on to do a bunch of movies that would have limited his availability for season 2

Yeah I knew all that.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah I knew all that.

The one thing I find amusing about Danes saying she had no power over the show being cancelled is that she was on a talk show talking about it and when she made the statement that she did not have enough power to cancel the show--the other person who was sitting next to her said "But you had friends who did" and she gave a sheepish grin

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Remembered another series: Do Over.

Was on for about half a season, early 2000s. About a grown man who was able to travel back to his early-'8os childhood (following an accident).
It was in a similar vein as The Goldbergs, Young Sheldon, etc. Nostalgic portrayal of 8os suburbia.

I liked it, and I believe there were some unaired episodes..

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I was reminded of another good short-lived detective series Detroit 1-8-7
It was like NYPD Blue, set in Detroit.. cancelled about 2/3rd thru their first season. It was good, had 'Christopher' from The Sopranos,.. wouldn't mind seeing it on Netflix, etc.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I agree with Terra Nova the visuals and story (setup) were my taste and I wish it got several seasons. Yeah there were weaknesses but still. Beautiful set, interesting premise.

I'll throw out The Unusuals as a show that I really enjoyed and was surprised when it got cancelled and forgotten. I guess it has limited appeal. When I see stuff like Barry or Patriot I wonder why The Unusuals couldn't succeed.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
A couple reality TV gems:

"The Raft" on NatGeo was crazy. They tossed teams of two strangers in life rafts in the middle of the ocean with minimal supplies and whatever debris they could collect. They had to make it to land or tap out all while dealing with a lack of food and water, sharks, storms etc.

"Kid Nation" on CBS where 40 kids aged 8-15 lived in a western film set town and tried to create a functioning town and government and take care of themselves on their own. It was like Lord of the Flies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Missing (with Ashley Judd) is the only one-and-done series I even remember getting into. It was a bit of a cross between Alias and Taken. Sleeper Cell (on SHO) would have been better off as a one-and-done, the second season was just annoying and depressing as hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad