TV: Favorite Show that only lasted 1 season or less?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I'd go with Jericho, but it does quite fit. While it was cancelled after 1 season dumping a truck load of nuts outside the network got it another 6 episodes. It deserved more.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Anyone remember Nowhere man

That was one strange azz show that got cut early

Borne meets twighlight zone kind of brain twister

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
reality TV..
"Kid Nation" on CBS where 40 kids aged 8-15 lived in a western film set town and tried to create a functioning town and government and take care of themselves on their own. It was like Lord of the Flies.

I remember it..
Another short lived 'reality' contest I remember: Murder in Small Town X. It was like a live action game of Clue. Contestants were regular people trying to solve a fictitious murder mystery. Unique show that only lasted one cycle. I remember one of the contestants was an NYPD fireman who unfortunately died (shortly after the show) working at the Trade Center attacks.

Reactions: DoyleG

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I had really gotten into kidnapped 10-12 years ago. They didn't even finish the season on TV. In the middle of the season they started airing them online.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
This is going pretty obscure.. but I'm watching a Christmas commercial for a Cap One' Wal*Mart card. And I recognize the actress from an old short-lived series: Running the Halls.

It was a Saved by the Bell imitator. Similar character archetypes../nerds, jocks, etc/. Show probably ran around 93-94 (?) She was probably in her late teens back in '93. Don't remember if I liked the show, but I always checked all the Saturday morning stuff.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Gonna age myself here...

s592

Season 1 1975 6 Episodes
Season 2 1979 6 Episodes

They waited 4 years for Season 2

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The fact that I'm the only one to have mentioned Hello Ladies, means you've all failed yourselves

Go watch it! It's fantastic!

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Looks brutal. How it made 1 episode is amazing.
Well, it's a Stephen Merchant vehicle-- he had a lot of goodwill coming from making The Office, and he's a big name in the UK, so of course it made it to episode 1. I think it's mediocre, albeit not as bad as the trailer makes it look. Like a typical "comedian without a real great idea trying to do the Louie thing," like Maron or Master of None, but weaker.

The fact that I'm the only one to have mentioned Hello Ladies, means you've all failed yourselves
I was just going through the thread and it was mentioned a few times already, actually.
Some great answers, the first thing that came to mine was Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared. Great picks of Hello Ladies and I'm with Busey.

I'll add something new, Life's Too Short. It was hilarious.
The Night Of, John from Cincinnati, Hello Ladies

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Still mad about this one

It was an awkward blending of media/network TV drama and management of a comedy show.

I think a show about an SNL clone OR a show about the ethics and issues associated with managing a major network would have been better served.

I think he did a better job with Newsroom where at least it was a bit more focused.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
The Tick with Patrick Warburton.

Early 2ooos Tick was a good, funny series. I think part of it's problem is that it ran prime time on a major network (FOX, if I remember right).. At the time, comic book was basically too niche a genre to sustain prime time audience. If The Tick had started on a cable network, or CW/WB network (w/lower expectations & budget) I think it would've had a longer life (?)
I've rewatched it on DVD..

My current, single season re-watch is 'Saved by the Bell: College Years'. Decent nostalgia.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I was reminded of another short-lived series, Everything's Relative. It had Jason Alexander, shortly before he started his iconic run as George Costanza.. lots of 80s clichés, overused laugh track, goofy theme song.. watching it in 2020 it would probably seem like a blunt satire of 80s sitcoms, but..
Alexander had like a Mr. Spock haircut, or toupee at the time.. but he played his part well, and I like Alexander, so don't want to denigrate his early career too much.
It was about 2 adult brothers trying to get thru life, and their relationship w/their mom, & women, etc..

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Too Old to Die Young will not see a second season, so that's easily my favorite show cancelled after only one (should have scratched the last 2 episodes too IMO).

Police Squad was named a few times in here, pretty good choice. The Class wasn't really any good, but Lizzy Caplan's character was kind of cool (and so sexy), and it had Jon 'The Punisher' Bernthal.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
And what about Nightmare Cafe? I don't really remember if it was watchable or not, I know I was impressed Wes Craven and Robert Englund were teaming up again to work on TV (wasn't as popular a move as it is nowadays). I know I watched it, can't remember if I liked it... Probably not the best sign...

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad