Confirmed with Link: Faulk & 5th to STL for Edmundson, Bokk, 2021 7th

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
There has to be another move coming because of the cap, and one name out there that I can't help but notice is Matthew Tkachuk. I'd hate to think of moving Parayko at this point in his career, but could the Faulk deal have been necessary to free us up to trade Parayko for someone like Little Walt?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There has to be another move coming because of the cap, and one name out there that I can't help but notice is Matthew Tkachuk. I'd hate to think of moving Parayko at this point in his career, but could the Faulk deal have been necessary to free us up to trade Parayko for someone like Little Walt?
Logically that doesn't make sense. The un-bolded makes even less sense, but from a Calgary perspective.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I might take it. Parayko for Matthews.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Logically that doesn't make sense. The un-bolded makes even less sense, but from a Calgary perspective.
It would have to be Parayko+, with the "+" being enough extra cap (Schenn) to make the deal a net cap positive for us, though looking at their cap situation they need to shed money more so than we do if Tkachuk is making anywhere north of $7.5M.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It would have to be Parayko+, with the "+" being enough extra cap (Schenn) to make the deal a net cap positive for us, though looking at their cap situation they need to shed money more so than we do if Tkachuk is making anywhere north of $7.5M.
I'm just saying, Faulk was Army's goal. I thought I remembered a rumor during the season that we were interested in Faulk. Around the time that everyone expected us to make a big move.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Here are my thoughts before I read the 5 page thread to see what the rest of you are talking about:
1) This makes the Blues better NOW. I'm not entirely sure what Faulk's usage will be, but it gives more options for the PP. I think that's the biggest place where he could strengthen the team, most immediately. I have to think they'll see how he handles playing his off-side, but Edmundson was slated to be the 3rd pairing guy before the trade, so if Faulk only plays 3rd pair and PP, its still reasonable usage.

2) I don't read anything into the Pietro situation. Pietro is a guy that you sign independent of the other parts of the team. The way I am reading the Faulk contract, he has a limited NTC this season (15 teams), but I don't see anything about protection on Cap Friendly after that. You can easily move him if you need to, to keep Pietro inside the Cap. But I think its more likely that Faulk is a Blue for 2 years and then claimed by Seattle. I don't think he'll be protected, and he'll be a quality player on a contract Seattle will be happy to take (signed for his prime years, several years of team control, not terribly overpaid. Expansion teams can afford a few suboptimal contracts pretty easily.) I think this is Armstrong optimizing the chances for the next couple years, or maybe even just this year.

EDIT: Looks like Faulk has full NTC first 5 years. But the salary is heavy the first 2 years (prior to the expansion draft) so makes him even more attractive to Seattle. You only are forced to protect players with NMC (not NTC).

3) Faulk didn't have the Blues on his no-trade list. But Anaheim was. He also clearly wanted to be here, since he had worked out a 7 year deal already. Its nice to have a team that guys are excited to come to. Being defending Cup champs is not a bad negotiating position.

4) Bokk is still an intriguing prospect, but it was hard to see how he'd help the Blues in the current window. I also think he has farther to go to reach his ceiling. I like that the Blues are willing to trade prospects (like Thompson and Bokk) to get players that are in their prime NOW, when the Blues are in their window NOW. Its just smart, if you can make the cap work out. And they identified Dunn, Thomas and Kyrou as the cream of the crop, so they're projected as part of the team going forward.

5) The Blues are going to be about a half million over the cap, even after sending Pouliot down. There has to be another move coming. Could Bozak be on the move? Is there a blockbuster for one of Parayko or Pietro...that I doubt in the extreme. They were clearly the backbone of the Cup success. No, I'm starting to wonder if there maybe IS a possibility of Allen being moved before the season. I would think the next move is one of Steen, Bozak or Allen. Otherwise its something big. Steen and Bozak (10 team NTC) both have NTC. They'd have to get Steen to agree to a trade, and its really hard for me to imagine what that could be. I don't see anyone poised for LTIR that makes a difference, or a surprise retirement. The rest of camp just got extremely interesting.

EDIT: Carolina retained enough salary to put the Blues under the cap after sending down the 8th d-man. So, while there COULD be another move coming, they don't have to make it. But they are pretty tight for future moves, right up against the Cap. I know Mud ACAS hates that.

6) I like the injection of a new player or two into the returning cast. I think its healthier for a team trying to repeat.

7) I suspect this is the deal that the New Jersey source (I can't remember the user, but he was a reliable source) expected several weeks ago. Its obvious that this has been in the works for a while.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Here are my thoughts before I read the 5 page thread to see what the rest of you are talking about:
1) This makes the Blues better NOW. I'm not entirely sure what Faulk's usage will be, but it gives more options for the PP. I think that's the biggest place where he could strengthen the team, most immediately. I have to think they'll see how he handles playing his off-side, but Edmundson was slated to be the 3rd pairing guy before the trade, so if Faulk only plays 3rd pair and PP, its still reasonable usage.

2) I don't read anything into the Pietro situation. Pietro is a guy that you sign independent of the other parts of the team. The way I am reading the Faulk contract, he has a limited NTC this season (15 teams), but I don't see anything about protection on Cap Friendly after that. You can easily move him if you need to, to keep Pietro inside the Cap. But I think its more likely that Faulk is a Blue for 2 years and then claimed by Seattle. I don't think he'll be protected, and he'll be a quality player on a contract Seattle will be happy to take (signed for his prime years, several years of team control, not terribly overpaid. Expansion teams can afford a few suboptimal contracts pretty easily.) I think this is Armstrong optimizing the chances for the next couple years, or maybe even just this year.

3) Faulk didn't have the Blues on his no-trade list. But Anaheim was. He also clearly wanted to be here, since he had worked out a 7 year deal already. Its nice to have a team that guys are excited to come to. Being defending Cup champs is not a bad negotiating position.

4) Bokk is still an intriguing prospect, but it was hard to see how he'd help the Blues in the current window. I also think he has farther to go to reach his ceiling. I like that the Blues are willing to trade prospects (like Thompson and Bokk) to get players that are in their prime NOW, when the Blues are in their window NOW. Its just smart, if you can make the cap work out. And they identified Dunn, Thomas and Kyrou as the cream of the crop, so they're projected as part of the team going forward.

5) The Blues are going to be about a half million over the cap, even after sending Pouliot down. There has to be another move coming. Could Bozak be on the move? Is there a blockbuster for one of Parayko or Pietro...that I doubt in the extreme. They were clearly the backbone of the Cup success. No, I'm starting to wonder if there maybe IS a possibility of Allen being moved before the season. I would think the next move is one of Steen, Bozak or Allen. Otherwise its something big. Steen and Bozak (10 team NTC) both have NTC. They'd have to get Steen to agree to a trade, and its really hard for me to imagine what that could be. I don't see anyone poised for LTIR that makes a difference, or a surprise retirement. The rest of camp just got extremely interesting.

6) I like the injection of a new player or two into the returning cast. I think its healthier for a team trying to repeat.

7) I suspect this is the deal that the New Jersey source (I can't remember the user, but he was a reliable source) expected several weeks ago. Its obvious that this has been in the works for a while.
#5, Carolina retained 14% this year, so we should be good cap wise.

Maybe Bortozzo becomes an odd man out?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Bouwmeester/Dunn - Pietrangelo
Parayko - Faulk
Bouwmeester/Dunn - Bortuzzo

???

I don't know.

I'm scared.

I think Parayko could work out on the left side. His skating and monsterous wingspan could translate over to his opposite side better than anyone else on the roster I think. Imagine trying to go wide on Parayko if he's on the left side...he can be at the dots and still reach the damn boards.
Yeah Dom at the Athletic just graded out Parayko as the best defensive-defenseman in the league...so there's no doubt he could do it without sacrificing too much offense, considering he generates his offense with his skating and awareness and isn't an offense-first guy anyway.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Borts seems like a good locker room guy so I wouldn't expect it, although I wouldn't have expected Faulk either.
That and Bortuzzo is comfortable enough on the left side. I don't think Armstrong would have any interest in moving him with the amount of time that Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester have missed in recent seasons.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That and Bortuzzo is comfortable enough on the left side. I don't think Armstrong would have any interest in moving him with the amount of time that Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester have missed in recent seasons.
Right. I think Army finds a way to make it work with the 7 guys we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad