Fantasy Mock Voting (Standings Posted #178)

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Sorry @m0pe but as a Rangers fan, seeing Jesper Fast on the first line gave me PTSD and I couldn't vote for the Tre Kronor

He is really my 3rd best RW, was just trying to balance the lines.

Just pretend like he is on the 3rd line if you prefer it that way :thumbu:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yeah, I think most of us feel that way. If I was to make a suggestion to @Joey Moss , it would be to see on who is interested in doing the exact same thing (this exact same draft format) a 2nd time around.
Some people may feel that way but what’s the point when everyone would just be reading off the draft board of this draft? That would be boring.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
Some people may feel that way but what’s the point when everyone would just be reading off the draft board of this draft? That would be boring.

I don’t think it would be boring. In fact I think you would see less steals and different drafting techniques. We all learned a lot about how players are perceived and how team builds are perceived even with only the 1st round of voting being done.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I don’t think it would be boring. In fact I think you would see less steals and different drafting techniques. We all learned a lot about how players are perceived and how team builds are perceived even with only the 1st round of voting being done.

I'd be interested in doing another one with voting and then NHL 20 sim for the playoffs. The head to head playoff games could be posted on Youtube to make things more intense.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I personally thought the categories one was a cool idea. Lots of work for Joey but nobody else really. More strategy involved adds a different element.

But if we don't have enough people interested I guess we can't do it? I would be happy to do another normal one as well (since I didn't draft normally this time) if that is the only thing that gains enough traction though.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
I personally thought the categories one was a cool idea. Lots of work for Joey but nobody else really. More strategy involved adds a different element.

But if we don't have enough people interested I guess we can't do it? I would be happy to do another normal one as well (since I didn't draft normally this time) if that is the only thing that gains enough traction though.

This is exactly where I am at. Sounds like a blast and I am already signed up. but if it doesn’t get off the ground I am always up for another one

Reactions: hockeynorth

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I think it would gain more traction if there was a sign up thread for it

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
This is exactly where I am at. Sounds like a blast and I am already signed up. but if it doesn’t get off the ground I am always up for another one
Me three, I'm down for either or and am already signed up for the categories one. I like the ones that involve some strategy so it can't be the exact same board, though I'm not too sure how you'd do it

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Normal draft - people wouldn’t just be “drafting from the previous board.”

I disagree with the notion that people would simply “look at the recently completed draft board and pick guys.” Here is why I feel this way:

1) Competitors will likely select from different places in the next game. For example - I was in the 26th spot in every odd round in terms of selecting. Maybe I would be 18th in a hypothetical second game?

2) Competitors may want to build their teams in a different way. Perhaps someone was relying too heavily on analytics in the first game, and may want to rely on “the eye test” a little more for the second.

3) Competitors will look at the draft board, but will have different interpretations as to who was overvalued and undervalued, and which positions were overvalued and undervalued. For example - some guys might want to get their goalie earlier in a hypothetical 2nd draft. Others for instance, upon seeing the success of the Toronto Maple Leafs in this draft, may decide to draft a goalie much much later. Maybe some guys will want to build us their centers and defense earlier and quicker instead of prioritizing wingers. Maybe some others will go after superstar wingers right away knowing that most others will place a priority in going after centers and D’s.

Factoring in all of the above, I think we could get a completely different draft. The draft board from this past draft, along with all of Panda’s research, could not only help for a higher quality and more competitive draft, but could also help save a lot of time for those that are worried that these types of drafts are too time consuming.

That’s just my thought.

@Joey Moss

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If we end up doing the same format my team would look much different because I wouldn’t be so cheap at the start of the draft. Though I think doing categories is interesting as well

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I disagree with the notion that people would simply “look at the recently completed draft board and pick guys.” Here is why I feel this way:

1) Competitors will likely select from different places in the next game. For example - I was in the 26th spot in every odd round in terms of selecting. Maybe I would be 18th in a hypothetical second game?

2) Competitors may want to build their teams in a different way. Perhaps someone was relying too heavily on analytics in the first game, and may want to rely on “the eye test” a little more for the second.

3) Competitors will look at the draft board, but will have different interpretations as to who was overvalued and undervalued, and which positions were overvalued and undervalued. For example - some guys might want to get their goalie earlier in a hypothetical 2nd draft. Others for instance, upon seeing the success of the Toronto Maple Leafs in this draft, may decide to draft a goalie much much later. Maybe some guys will want to build us their centers and defense earlier and quicker instead of prioritizing wingers. Maybe some others will go after superstar wingers right away knowing that most others will place a priority in going after centers and D’s.

Factoring in all of the above, I think we could get a completely different draft. The draft board from this past draft, along with all of Panda’s research, could not only help for a higher quality and more competitive draft, but could also help save a lot of time for those that are worried that these types of drafts are too time consuming.

That’s just my thought.

@Joey Moss
It’s obviously Joey’s choice but I’d be down for a redraft or maybe a slight change (23 man rosters to make the cap a real factor). The category thing combined with drafting players from specific groups is a pass for me, it’s just a bit too much but that’s just my personal preference.

I think the 23 man roster alone will change the draft, especially after the first 3-4 rounds. Some good overpaid players will fall which will be fun.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't have much interest in doing another re-draft right after this one. I'm going to see how the interest level is with the categories draft. I think some people may have a different impression of what it actually is. I'm going to post the google sheet doc once we open that thread up in a few days and go from there. If there's not enough interest then I will be fine with doing this again with a few tweaks maybe.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don't have much interest in doing another re-draft right after this one. I'm going to see how the interest level is with the categories draft. I think some people may have a different impression of what it actually is. I'm going to post the google sheet doc once we open that thread up in a few days and go from there. If there's not enough interest then I will be fine with doing this again with a few tweaks maybe.
I'm down for whatever I just want to win one eventually

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

That’s just my thought.

@Joey Moss

You can just start your own draft man. Personally Ive done several drafts exactly like this one in the last years so I’ve kind of grown tired of it and I cant wait for the category draft but to each his own !

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
You can just start your own draft man. Personally Ive done several drafts exactly like this one in the last years so I’ve kind of grown tired of it and I cant wait for the category draft but to each his own !

I wouldn’t have the patience or incentive to run things as smoothly as Joey Moss has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad