Fantasy Mock Voting (Standings Posted #178)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
@Llamamoto49 ,

Sorry man. While I think you guys both built very good teams, I think that other team is a little more balanced in terms of having a true shut down center (Couturier), and one of the best top defensive pairings in the league. Your team is great as well, but it just seems a little one dimensional (all guys thinking offense first). I also suspect that your Duchene line could be very prone to disappearing for certain stretches. You built a good team however and you should be proud.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
:edmontonvs:vegas

CENTRES: Obviously I love Crosby and I love Aho, that's a fun match-up, I'd slightly prefer Crosby - but after that, I'd take Seguin/Shaw way over Hayes/Tierney. Two cup winners and guys with higher upsides there. Give me VEGAS

LEFT WINGS: I like both team sets of LW - Guentzel is the best of them all, but Hoffman is still a great scorer. Lindblom is very underrated but JVR is a playoff-built guy who will help as well. I really love Hagelin as one of the best defensive wingers in the game, whereas Lemieux is a 4th liner who will make a physical impact but not near the same defensive impact. This one is close....I slightly prefer VEGAS but it'd be fair to call this a draw.

RIGHT WINGS: Similar RWs - I'd take Williams over Connolly in a playoff scenario but I'd probably still take Kessel over Bailey in the "guys that don't know how to play D" category. I'd take Panik's two-way game over Sissons and Bennett has more upside than Nosek, so it's VEGAS by a hair.

DEFENSE: I think Lindholm-McAvoy could do a really great job against that Crosby line - which scares me as I really don't love how the rest of the Oilers forwards would respond, as they'd STILL have to face Brodie and Trouba after that. However, the Oilers also have Muzzin-Jones which is a MONSTER pairing on its own. Dunn-Bear continues to be a very good puckmover pair, but can they defensively shutdown as well as the Vegas top 4? I don't know. I can't stress enough that the last three categories are all CLOSE to me, but I'm liking VEGAS slightly more each time.

GOALIES: This is one where I can't take Vegas because although Matt Murray has proven he can do it before, I'd take Carey Price in this scenario to have the composure to make big saves to keep his team alive. EDMONTON

VERDICT:
Vegas has better depth overall, I believe in their PK in this series much more than Edmonton's, I have to go with VEGAS IN 6 - in a close series.

:bluesvs :avs

CENTRES: If I had to pick ANY C to shutdown Connor McDavid in the league, it would be Sean Couturier. Couturier would shadow McDavid the entire series. Saying that, I prefer Duchene to Hischier on experience, Matt would carve him on face-offs. I also think Necas/Dach is a wash. I know I love Couturier but the McDavid factor itself still gives COLORADO a slight edge.

LEFT WINGS: Brad Marchand is easily the best of the bunch here, I'd take him over Skinner (although Skinner still has that big time goal potential with Connor). Drouin is extremely skilled and has strong playoff experience so I'd take him over Kempe but don't underestimate Kempe's speed. We just saw Boston's run last year and Johansson was much more effective than Heinen was. I think the all-around balance and Marchand's presence gives ST. LOUIS the edge.

RIGHT WINGS: Teravainen is the best of the RWs but Meier gives him a run for his money and Meier had a slightly better playoff last year. After that, Palmieri is going to score some big goals and I'd take him well over Dzingel. Kahun vs Byron is a tough one - Byron is more usable on the PK and his speed will be an issue, Kahun is smart. I think ST. LOUIS has a slight, slightly more well-rounded depth.

DEFENSE: I keep going back to the thought of what a Couturier/Parayko/McDonagh shutdown group could do - I think they could give McDavid fits. The Couturier/Parayko part scares me more than McDonagh though, who McDavid will easily blow by. Marchand-Couturier-Palmieri is going to destroy whoever they face in possession but Spurgeon would give them a great challenge being an awesome D on his own. Orlov-Leddy and Butcher-Vatanen both scare the crap out of me but Orlov is the best of the 4 total D. I think this goes to COLORADO because their top pair could probably shut down enough AND break the puck out much better than St. Louis' top pair...and Orlov gives them more depth...but it's close.

GOALIES: I still have no belief in Dubnyk/Talbot, I just don't based on Dubnyk's play and Talbot's inconsistency. Rinne/Jones is also very shady but I think Rinne at 5v5 would be the best of the 4 goalies here still, ultimately I'd trust Rinne the most. Let's just say goals will be scored in this series. ST. LOUIS.

VERDICT: BLUES IN 6 -
I think their team is better built from a defensive standpoint to win enough tight games, even if McDavid gives them a run for the money.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I personally think Vegas and Edmonton (no homer) were the top teams in the West so if I lose I lose.

For me the Avs-Blues series is interesting. Both have a very average group on the backend. No true #1's, Leddy/Butcher comparable as offensive defenseman with flaws. The top 3's are similar. Goaltending garbage on both teams. I voted Colorado because I think there's more firepower up front.

Not overly surprised Columbus is beating Philly. For me, Philly has the depth but lacks top end skill and goaltending is up in the air.

I voted Boston because I don't have confidence in Francouz-Campbell in net. I don't think it's overly difficult to draft 13 players for your main roster before a goalie and make your team look good on paper. Goaltending to me isn't critical, but it's still important.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
:flyersvs:cbj

CENTERS: Malkin/Toews vs O'Reilly/Couture? From a playoff perspective, WOW. Frankly, this is an incredible match-up. Malkin has been shut down before by great defensive Cs and I think that's exactly what O'Reilly will do here to a strong degree BUT it's still Evgeni Malkin. Toews vs Couture is fairly even to me - both guys are playoff gamers who will leave everything on the line. What tips the scale for me to PHILLY is I think Jordan Staal would eat Joel Eriksson Ek's lunch here, Staal is exactly the 3C you'd want in a matchup like this and nothing against Eriksson Ek, who is good, but Staal is a size advantage, a face-off advantage, an offensive advantage etc.

LEFT WINGS: Pacioretty is a possession monster but DeBrincat will also score goals. Hintz and Mangiapane are very comparable guys to me, both are skilled, both have goal scoring talent but Hintz has already proven it in the playoffs. Carrier will make a bigger impact physically than Moore. I think Dickinson is probably more effective than Marleau at this point. I'm a bit torn here but slight advantage seems to head towards CBJ - but personally I think Pacioretty is easily the best of the LWs.

RIGHT WINGS: Oshie is a playoff gamer, I'd take him over Granlund. Rakell has a lot more high-end skill than Gourde. Josh Leivo based on his Vancouver run will be a more effective playoff player than Namestnikov. Clutterbuck will be physical but is a "get caved in" risk. For me it's PHILLY and I didn't have to think about it.

DEFENSE: PHILLY is much more well-rounded. Pietrangelo > Dahlin although obviously both are excellent, Edler can match up well vs Pesce and I'd take Edler on having a bit more puck-moving ability. Devon Toews can move the puck and provide more offense than a guy like Martinez at this point and DeMelo has been actually playing a top 4 role in a big way, Adam Boqvist has...certainly not. Kulikov-Gudas and Djoos-Holl are both very usable 3rd pairs so props to both teams for depth. PHILLY takes the cake for me though.

GOALIES: Based on experience? You're taking Holtby. Based on play this year? You're taking Merzlikins. I'll say COLUMBUS because I believe in Holtby more, but at the same time, you could go either way.

VERDICT: Philadelphia in 6, and I think people are vastly underrating the team that has the No.1 C and D from the most recent cup winning team, they are more well-rounded and have more guys who have proven to tip the scale before.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think I found a cheat code in this draft: If you have Tavares as your 1C and Landeskog as your 1LW (Toronto) you will go places. Also, if you have Edler/Pietrangelo as your first pairing (Philadelphia) you will go places.

My team last year (made it to semifinals):

Screenshot_20200510-154218(1).png

Last edited:
Reactions: Llamamoto49

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
:leafsvs:bruins

CENTRES: Barkov/Giroux vs Tavares/Point is very, very close. I'd slightly prefer Brassard over Eakin at 3C, and the fact that Giroux has played more wing than C this year is what tips the scale to TORONTO for me.

LEFT WINGS: Tough one - I like Landeskog more than Saad, I also think Pearson is much better as a playoff two-way guy than Athanasiou, but Vesey/Maroon to me make a better impact than Compher out-of-position and Zack MacEwan. The high-end to me though suggests TORONTO has a better top-six left side overall.

RIGHT WINGS: I love Dadonov/Atkinson, those two are high-end talents, but Toronto has more depth, Zucker/Johnsson/Donskoi can all do damage to a degree. However, just like how I took Toronto's high end for LW, I'm taking BOSTON on the high-end here, I like their top six right side more.

DEFENSE: Burns + OEL are both guys who would like to have their 2019-20 seasons back, and both are great offensively still (I'd prefer Burns) - where TORONTO wins is I'd trust Schmidt/Manson as shutdown guys more than Lindell and Savard, and on top of that you have Gardiner/Niskanen as puck-movers with higher upsides than de Haan or the bottom pair in Boston. TORONTO

GOALIES: Francouz is very good, but Bishop is obviously the easier option to trust and it's enough to probably win a game on his own. BOSTON

VERDICT: I think it's a very even series. The centres are comparable, the wingers are comparable...it comes down to D and goalies. I think Bishop wins Boston a game in this series for sure, but I also think Toronto's D is simply much more likely to be able to push the river and force possession onto Boston and because of that....TORONTO IN 7

On second thought though, if this goes 7 games...Jake Gardiner is going to blow it for the Leafs. So if you go Boston, I get it.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’m a little surprised at the results of A1/B1. With all due respect to Aho and Seguin’s team, I’m not sold on Matt Murray at ALL (and yes, I do realize that he’s won a cup). Carey Price hasn’t had very good numbers these past few years, but this ISNT a guy that you want to be facing come playoff time.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I’m a little surprised at the results of A1/B1. With all due respect to Aho and Seguin’s team, I’m not sold on Matt Murray at ALL (and yes, I do realize that he’s won a cup). Carey Price hasn’t had very good numbers these past few years, but this ISNT a guy that you want to be facing come playoff time.
I’ve seen this argument by people a few times and honestly... why not? He’s been getting lit up in the regular season lately, he’s not the old Price anymore

Reactions: Panda Bear

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm sorry man, quite frankly I had Colorado at 3rd in the division. I don't love your goalies or winger group. If you can convince me why to change though with good reasons related to the matchup I would
I don't like their defense as a team either. I think that team would bleed goals at an alarming rate. The heavy left shot presence would work hard against them as well.

BumDum

The German Flash
Mar 16, 2020
Edmonton
Vote for :blues!

The Avs best defenseman is Jared Spurgeon. Parayko and maybe McDonagh are better than him. We are the better team.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I really want that categories draft to start, I'm excited to try again, I think im starting to understand what works

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Looks like :cbj will be going to the Eastern Conference Finals! We are extremely proud of our team and what they have accomplished. We’re ready for our next opponent and we’re hungry for the Championship!

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Looks like :cbj will be going to the Eastern Conference Finals! We are extremely proud of our team and what they have accomplished. We’re ready for our next opponent and we’re hungry for the Championship!
Man you jinxed it, now its tied

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad