Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’m ready for something like this. You can see Gaudette’s scoring ability but he can’t create by himself on the forecheck. Miller’s vision and ability to draw defenders could get him going.

there was some comparison to Kesler with Gaudette, clearly the traits are there, his shot doesn’t seem NHL caliber but for a time the same was said about Kesler, Kesler also would try to do too much on his own and not use his line mates ( burrows and Kes were the first time you saw an impact from him, but were just hard workers who create opportunities for each other with their forechecking )
I really like Gaudettes game, I like him as a player and I think he can get there but he needs an off season where it’s gut check time, I don’t think matching him with the proper wingers is the answer

honestly unless the return is very good I’m not moving Gaudette....

yes I know this line of thinking is why we have held onto Virtanen so long

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
there was some comparison to Kesler with Gaudette, clearly the traits are there, his shot doesn’t seem NHL caliber but for a time the same was said about Kesler, Kesler also would try to do too much on his own and not use his line mates ( burrows and Kes were the first time you saw an impact from him, but were just hard workers who create opportunities for each other with their forechecking )
I really like Gaudettes game, I like him as a player and I think he can get there but he needs an off season where it’s gut check time, I don’t think matching him with the proper wingers is the answer

My impression is that Gaudette isn’t great at using his teammates except in fairly simple situations, eg forechecking when puck is along the wall. What he is great at is short-range give-and-go stuff and creating high-danger chances when he has the puck within 20-25 feet of the net. He’s just not going to get there with the puck on his own and he’s unlikely to receive it there often playing with plugs.

Reactions: Cogburn

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I’m ready for something like this. You can see Gaudette’s scoring ability but he can’t create by himself on the forecheck. Miller’s vision and ability to draw defenders could get him going.
I'm ready as well. I think the Canucks have the depth at forward to pull it off. At least give it a try.

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Gaudette
Roussel - Miller - Virtanen/MacEwen
Eriksson - Beagle - Sutter (laughing my ass off at this 4th line and its combined cap)

I also want Hawryluk to get in the lineup. I don't know much about him but if he has a scoring touch and can handle the minutes I wouldn't mind trying him on LW with Miller. Which leaves Roussel....scratched I guess. Have to keep both Beagle and Sutter in the lineup because you can't argue with the PK performance lately and they're both key parts of that (risen to 10th in the league at the moment).

MacEwen has to get back in the lineup too.

Lastly, even though Motte has been a staple on the 4th line with Beagle, he's the one bottom 6 forward who has performed above and beyond. At this point he's worth moving up the lineup to see if he jibes in a depth scoring role. When he returns he may be a decent fit with Miller on the 3rd line.

All this is theoretical, though. Who knows if Green ever tries a 3rd scoring line with Miller at C....

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
My impression is that Gaudette isn’t great at using his teammates except in fairly simple situations, eg forechecking when puck is along the wall. What he is great at is short-range give-and-go stuff and creating high-danger chances when he has the puck within 20-25 feet of the net. He’s just not going to get there with the puck on his own and he’s unlikely to receive it there often playing with plugs.

important to note is Gaudettes linemates have been Roussel, a guy who seems to just dump the puck to an open corner or loft a shot on net from 60 feet out, Sutter the king of individual puck distribution, Virtanen, an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a poor all around effort, uncle Loui who needs no introduction and a cast of miscast characters

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
important to note is Gaudettes linemates have been Roussel, a guy who seems to just dump the puck to an open corner or loft a shot on net from 60 feet out, Sutter the king of individual puck distribution, Virtanen, an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a poor all around effort, uncle Loui who needs no introduction and a cast of miscast characters

True, but the third line has played noticeably better with Sutter as the 3C instead of Gaudette. Fact is, Gaudette hasn't been getting it done this season at centre or on the wing, or on the PP. His defensive flaws are just less noticeable and less important at wing than at centre. The good news: he is capable of better, it's not beyond him to be a competent NHL player in an offensive capacity.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Kinda intrigued by a Tyler Myers-for-Adam Henrique trade. Henrique is old but good enough to hold down a 3C spot for the Canucks for ~2 years IMO, and then we can buy him out.
Interesting, but Myers fills a bigger need right now. Yes, he’s overpaid, but he’s playing top RSD for us. And he’s a very good tank commander.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Interesting, but Myers fills a bigger need right now. Yes, he’s overpaid, but he’s playing top RSD for us. And he’s a very good tank commander.

This would have to happen in the off-season IMO. We can pick up some cheap right-side D from team' getting squeezed by the expansion draft (eg, the Nuutivara deal to FLA from last summer), and use the freed up cash to add another impact player to the top end of the roster, hopefully.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This would have to happen in the off-season IMO. We can pick up some cheap right-side D from team' getting squeezed by the expansion draft (eg, the Nuutivara deal to FLA from last summer), and use the freed up cash to add another impact player to the top end of the roster, hopefully.
Excellent plan, but we have Benning/Brod.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Kinda intrigued by a Tyler Myers-for-Adam Henrique trade. Henrique is old but good enough to hold down a 3C spot for the Canucks for ~2 years IMO, and then we can buy him out.

The idea has merit. Myers has two $5M signing bonuses remaining whereas Henrique is all base salary thus Canucks would have to retain a little or sweeten. They also both have 10-team NTC's so there's a chance that one or the other might block the trade. If it was going to happen I think it would be during the offseason with the Canucks having already acquired a replacement RD.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The idea has merit. Myers has two $5M signing bonuses remaining whereas Henrique is all base salary thus Canucks would have to retain a little or sweeten. They also both have 10-team NTC's so there's a chance that one or the other might block the trade. If it was going to happen I think it would be during the offseason with the Canucks having already acquired a replacement RD.

The trade would have to happen after Myer's $5M bonus is paid this summer - otherwise it makes no sense for Anaheim to do it, they can just buy out Henrique. With that bonus paid, Myers is owed $13M over the following 3 seasons, as opposed to Henrique's $17M.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The trade would have to happen after Myer's $5M bonus is paid this summer - otherwise it makes no sense for Anaheim to do it, they can just buy out Henrique. With that bonus paid, Myers is owed $13M over the following 3 seasons, as opposed to Henrique's $17M.

Right, but I don't know that Aqua would be thrilled about burning $5M in the current economic/financial situation.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think if a new hire GM tells them they'll need to spend, they'll spend, but you're right, this is definitely a potential issue.
Is there any evidence our owner allows his GM to dictate the direction of the team though? More so our owner is a puppeteer, and really like them hand puppets. Gillis suggested rebuild, and was immediately fired, right? Benning is the retool yes man, and even though we are horrid (and have been during his time here) the owner gives him the voice of total support.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Does anyone watch much of the Ducks? I'm very curious how Henrique has been utilized there.

I mean his contract is bad, but if we could swap it for one of our bad contracts I think there's a great chance he could bounce back and become a good (but slightly overpaid) 3rd line centre here. Would give us some amazing centre depth with Petey-Bo-Henrique-Beagle down the centre next year, and would maybe prevent re-signing Sutter (one can hope).

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Does anyone watch much of the Ducks? I'm very curious how Henrique has been utilized there.

I mean his contract is bad, but if we could swap it for one of our bad contracts I think there's a great chance he could bounce back and become a good (but slightly overpaid) 3rd line centre here. Would give us some amazing centre depth with Petey-Bo-Henrique-Beagle down the centre next year, and would maybe prevent re-signing Sutter (one can h terribleand still has three more years. Do t e en suggest getting hi. On here, just in case the morons running our team read this,.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

I mean his contract is bad, but if we could swap it for one of our bad contracts I think there's a great chance he could bounce back and become a good (but slightly overpaid) 3rd line centre here. Would give us some amazing centre depth with Petey-Bo-Henrique-Beagle down the centre next year, and would maybe prevent re-signing Sutter (one can hope).

Sutter almost certainly isn't going to be re-signed. He might not even be here past the trade deadline but regardless it's nearly a foregone conclusion that he won't be back next season.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Is there any evidence our owner allows his GM to dictate the direction of the team though? More so our owner is a puppeteer, and really like them hand puppets. Gillis suggested rebuild, and was immediately fired, right? Benning is the retool yes man, and even though we are horrid (and have been during his time here) the owner gives him the voice of total support.

Whoever replaces Benning is going to promise Aquilini a quick turnaround (and unlike Benning/Linden in 2014, it should be possible this time), contingent on him signing some checks. Remember, Benning's first big act was forcing Aquilini to eat Tortorella's contract. Gillis also came aboard, bought out Chouinard, and ponied up quite a bit of cash for Sundin/Demitra.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020

I agree with this, I’d be a bit more patient with Gaudette opposed to Virtanen who just needs a change of scenery at this point.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Hes just junk, stay away. Anahiem is a flaming mess right now, they are forcing their gem prospect Zegras into the NHL tonight to try in save some face as they are such a disaster right now. The feeling is he needs to spend the year in the AHL but they are rushing him. Maybe they need Benning to take charge there, but seems they got their own Benning :laugh:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hes just junk, stay away. Anahiem is a flaming mess right now, they are forcing their gem prospect Zegras into the NHL tonight to try in save some face as they are such a disaster right now. The feeling is he needs to spend the year in the AHL but they are rushing him. Maybe they need Benning to take charge there, but seems they got their own Benning :laugh:

How are they forcing Zegras into the lineup? He’s tearing up the AHL and he’ll be 20 in less than a month, how much more seasoning does he need? Petterson was already in the NHL at the same age.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Not sure Anaheim has any need for Myers. They’ve already got Shattenkirk and Manson on the right side and Hakanpaa by all accounts has looked better than both. Then they have top prospect Jamie Drysdale likely earning a spot in the near future. Nice thought but I don’t see a fit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad