Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Anyone ever been excited to watch a movie to end up realizing after watching it sucks?

Are you allowed to tell your friends it sucked? Even though it was supposed to be entertaining?

What if the movie was just ok but had a terrible acting performance? Can you comment online about it?

All the sensi pants whining that one of the worst teams in the league that allows the most shots, goals, scoring chances is being criticized by those hoping to be entertained need to grab a tissue and enter the real world.

we’re not 10 year olds. we don’t just accept nhlers are stars because they’re on Vancouver’s team.

No complaining about bad performers is called apathy.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Everyone but EP, Hughes and Demko should be listening on a possible deal.

Would take a lot to trade Horvat, Boeser and Hoglander but possible.

Miller can go if a great offer comes in.

Schmidt too but harder since he can play either side and need dmen.

Rest of the current roster I would have no problem getting rid of.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
New thread!!!

I get to be first to come up with Loui Erickson rides the bus and retires comment wooooooo
The last one was over 1000 so the mods create an EIGTH fantasy GM thread

Crazy times around here

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I know Hextall is the GM, but with Burke’s comments on getting players that wear long pants, is there any chance they would be interested in Myers?

Marino just signed a new deal but seems to be struggling.

Pettersson’s on injured reserves but has a long term deal there as well.

Clearly would add to Myers but wondering with the new management team in place of Myers still has enough cache to make a deal work.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I know Hextall is the GM, but with Burke’s comments on getting players that wear long pants, is there any chance they would be interested in Myers?

Marino just signed a new deal but seems to be struggling.

Pettersson’s on injured reserves but has a long term deal there as well.

Clearly would add to Myers but wondering with the new management team in place of Myers still has enough cache to make a deal work.
We will need a new GM here, and a complete moron GM on another team for Myers to get moved. Maybe Chia and Jethro/Jethrine hook up again to destroy a new team?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Everyone but EP, Hughes and Demko should be listening on a possible deal.

Would take a lot to trade Horvat, Boeser and Hoglander but possible.

Miller can go if a great offer comes in.

Schmidt too but harder since he can play either side and need dmen.

Rest of the current roster I would have no problem getting rid of.
I LIKE THIS IDEA. Let's trade the few good players on this team so we can continue to suck for another 10 years.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
We should probably sign a Russian player so the transition is easier for Podkolzin next year.

Gusev, Anisimov, Grigorenko and Lyubushkin are interesting UFA targets. Dadonov might be cheap to acquire from Ott. Something along these lines.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
We should probably sign a Russian player so the transition is easier for Podkolzin next year.

Gusev, Anisimov, Grigorenko and Lyubushkin are interesting UFA targets. Dadonov might be cheap to acquire from Ott. Something along these lines.
Dadanov and a 3rd for Virtanen and Chatty

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Since this is the “fantasy GM thread”, can we fantasize that our next GM is a clone of Sam Pollock?

Reactions: Fedz

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
What do people think are our top or or two realistic needs for our core right now to put us in position to be serious contender? And by realistic I mean we're likely not going to find a McDavid or Hedman to jump on this team to be part of our core.

Leading up to our 2011 run we had an off-season where we picked up Hamhuis and Malholtra to stabilize our top 4 D and our 3C/faceoff positions.

Honestly, I feel like that's what this current core needs now as well. Once Sutter leaves we need a defensive 3C and we need a top 4 D to partner with Hughes to stabilize defensively. One could argue we also need another bonafide top 6 winger, but Hoglander really goes a long way in that regard and Podkolzin is in waiting the wings. It may be best not to expect consistent top 6 production from either but I think what we need more is a solid 3C that is defensively sound and makes his wingers better. That way Green can have the confidence to play him with the younger guys and gives us a more balanced top 9. Zero-assist Sutter is not the solution and unfortunately Gaudette doesn't seem to be either at C.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
What do people think are our top or or two realistic needs for our core right now to put us in position to be serious contender? And by realistic I mean we're likely not going to find a McDavid or Hedman to jump on this team to be part of our core.

Leading up to our 2011 run we had an off-season where we picked up Hamhuis and Malholtra to stabilize our top 4 D and our 3C/faceoff positions.

Honestly, I feel like that's what this current core needs now as well. Once Sutter leaves we need a defensive 3C and we need a top 4 D to partner with Hughes to stabilize defensively. One could argue we also need another bonafide top 6 winger, but Hoglander really goes a long way in that regard and Podkolzin is in waiting the wings. It may be best not to expect consistent top 6 production from either but I think what we need more is a solid 3C that is defensively sound and makes his wingers better. That way Green can have the confidence to play him with the younger guys and gives us a more balanced top 9. Zero-assist Sutter is not the solution and unfortunately Gaudette doesn't seem to be either at C.
You said it best, they need to get two Top4 RHD, a defensive center, and more cheap wingers to push down scoring role players like Pearson.

They can do it if they hit on a few draft picks as they did with Hoglander. Just have to pray that Jett Woo turns into a top 4 RHD that would probably be a godsend. I think Woo succeeding is incredibly important to the future success of the team. Unless they can pick up an RHD in the draft. They absolutely have no depth in RHD in the prospect pool except for Woo.

Another thing like you said they need to replace the bottom 6 centers. Hopefully when Green leaves the Canucks can get back to trying to develop some of these young guys to play a two-way game instead of relying on overpaid relics to be defensive forwards.

Reactions: Wildcarder

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Dekeyser on waivers. Wonder if Detroit would be interested in Ericsson for Dekeyser.

Similar term but would save the Nucks $1M.

Dekeyser is a LD but with Edler a UFA, would insulate a little for someone to play 2nd line LD minutes next year.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Dekeyser on waivers. Wonder if Detroit would be interested in Ericsson for Dekeyser.

Dekeyser is a LD but with Edler a UFA, would insulate a little for someone to play 2nd line LD minutes next year.
It would save the Wings a couple of million in real cash but they'd save even more buying out Dekeyser. I'd say it would take at least a 3rd coming from Vancouver.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
im prob one of the few incredibly happy for the poor start. low chance of making the playoffs already, should make it clear to management and ownership to sell. no loser spot getting in like last year.

benn, sutter, pearson, hamonic are all players that can receive some kind of pick.

jv, roussell are players with minimal chance of moving due to contact but can bring something back. unsure of what.

none of these players are needed next year as there are options in the system(pod, lind, tryamkin) or better in the upcoming free agency

getting additional picks before the expansion draft could help us pick up better depth or a top 4 dman as well

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I mean - I’d be all over that.

But 1) the added cash cost might kill the deal if it’s true the Aquilinis are pinching pennies, and 2) Detroit likely asks for a sweetener as Dekeyser is the more useful player.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
That's actually an interesting trade. Eriksson makes less this year but the caphit is higher. The buyout for Eriksson is cheaper as well but the dekeyser buyout opens 4m for next year.

Also gives the Canucks a defenseman to expose. Edit: he might not play enough games

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

At this point the biggest priority for this team in terms of positional needs has to be acquiring another legitimate top 4 D-man - one who can actually defend well, while driving possession too. Preferably this would be someone who's 25 or younger and can also be a good safety net for Hughes if possible.

A good 3C is also important though I put defence just ahead of it because that role should be a bit easier to fill: we already have Miller who can also play center (we're deeper on the wing), plus there should still be some cheap mid-tier UFA forwards available this offseason due to the flat cap (though maybe not quite as many as last summer). A guy like Wennberg who signed in FLA on a low-cost, short-term deal to rebuild his career is a perfect example.

But yes, securing a good 3C who can actually anchor his own line and help drive play is a necessity if we don't want the bottom 6 to forever be a drag on the team's performance.

However, before any of this can happen we need to actually clear out dead cap, which means attaching assets to get rid of Roussel and Beagle's contracts.

Of course, this is all predicated on our GM knowing what this team needs and actually executing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->