Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Pettersson 4 years @ $8.25m (big QO in RFA)
Hughes 2 years @ $7M

Four years would take Pettersson exactly to UFA status so that's not happening. $8M x 3 might work, which would max his QO at $9.6M.

If they give Hughes $14M for his 10.2 (c) season plus one arbitration-ineligible RFA season, I'll be disappointed. He's in a low-leverage situation and although he excels offensively and in transition he's not a first-pair player because of his significant defensive weaknesses. Also, defencemen get paid less than centres. Should be able to sign him for three years at less than $7M per. (Werenski 5 x 3, McAvoy 4.9 x 3, Sergachev 4.8 x 3)

Remember ELC bonuses when building the roster. Probably about $2M in total rolling over into next season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Four years would take Pettersson exactly to UFA status so that's not happening. $8M x 3 might work, which would max his QO at $9.6M.

If they give Hughes $14M for his 10.2 (c) season plus one arbitration-ineligible RFA season, I'll be disappointed. He's in a low-leverage situation and although he excels offensively and in transition he's not a first-pair player because of his significant defensive weaknesses. Also, defencemen get paid less than centres. Should be able to sign him for three years at less than $7M per. (Werenski 5 x 3, McAvoy 4.9 x 3, Sergachev 4.8 x 3)

Remember ELC bonuses when building the roster. Probably about $2M in total rolling over into next season.
Petey gets 3 x 7
Hughes gets 3 x 7
I think these two will get matching contracts now, and on their next ones too.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Petey gets 3 x 7
Hughes gets 3 x 7

I don't see the need to match the contracts. Leafs gave Matthews more money per season than Marner even though Matthews' deal was for one less season because Matthews is the more valuable player at the more important position. They aren't the Sedins. The market for centres exceeds the market for defencemen and Pettersson also has a little more leverage.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't see the need to match the contracts. Leafs gave Matthews more money per season than Marner even though Matthews' deal was for one less season because Matthews is the more valuable player at the more important position. They aren't the Sedins. The market for centres exceeds the market for defencemen and Pettersson has a little more leverage.
Didn’t Kane and Towes sign identical contracts? Like, of course you’re right, but it would be wise management to keep these two super duper stars happy, and here for their careers.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Didn’t Kane and Towes sign identical contracts? Like, of course you’re right, but it would be wise management to keep these two super duper stars happy, and here for their careers.

To match their contracts might require overpaying one and/or underpaying the other relative to the market. If one is willing to take less than market to make it happen, well that's fine by me. But if the centre wants market rate and the defenceman demands what the centre is asking, without being a better player relative to their respective positions-- giving into that demand is no way to manage a team.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Hughes point totals and production per game is far and away beyond those comparables.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Hughes point totals and production per game is far and away beyond those comparables.

Hughes is a defenceman, not a forward. Defending matters. McAvoy, when he signed that contract, was arguably already the best all-around defenceman on the Bruins-- a much stronger team with a much better defence corps. McAvoy obviously wasn't anywhere close to Hughes as an offensive force but he was no slouch in that regard and he was far better defensively.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Hughes is a defenceman, not a forward. Defending matters. McAvoy, when he signed that contract, was arguably already the best all-around defenceman on the Bruins-- a much stronger team with a much better defence corps. McAvoy obviously wasn't anywhere close to Hughes as an offensive force but he was no slouch in that regard and he was far better defensively.
So if hughes has 50+ points and is the highest scoring defensman in their first two years than probably anyone in a long time.

He has strong representation going against you know who.

I can’t imagine Hughes isn’t going to be looking for a lot.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
So if hughes has 50+ points and is the highest scoring defensman in their first two years than probably anyone in a long time.

He has strong representation going against you know who.

I can’t imagine Hughes isn’t going to be looking for a lot.

*You know who* is tight on cap space. And he's actually held the line pretty well on players already here; the disasters have mostly been signing UFA's from other teams.

Torey Krug had slightly higher total points and points per game than Alex Pietrangelo over the past four seasons. As a UFA last fall Krug got $6.5M x 7 with a no-trade clause that eventually becomes a modified NTC. Pietrangelo got $8.8M x 7 with a full NMC throughout. Because Krug is a second-pair, PP1 player who wasn't used much on the PK while Pietrangelo is a first-pair, all-situations guy.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Are you sure? I thought 4 years keeps him RFA after.

The last group of RFA’s were advised to bridge hoping for a huge boost in revenue but the pandemic happened. I could see RFA’s going for term again.

If my 4 year offer didn’t work I’d bump the offer to 6 years $9m

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Petey gets 3 x 7
Hughes gets 3 x 7
why would they want to stay,it won't be long before these guys start to get frustrated ,not just talking Petty and Hughes...with a losing culture that Benning has created...if I'm a player on this team I'd be second guessing as to whats going on...and explore other options...

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
This doesn't make any sense. The teams they are restricted to playing had a better record last year than the mean of the league and a few of them made significant additions.

Last year Edm was 12th, Tor 14, Van 16, Cal 18, Win 20, Mon 24 and Ott 30. Five of the seven were in the bottom half of the league. There isn't a single team in the top 11.

No way is this an above average division.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Count me in the camp that sees Petey and Hughes seeking bridge deals. With the flat cap and poor economic environment at the moment, and things tending to inflate over time, I think they will both push for bridges to lock in at higher terms later.

Canucks would be wise to try and lock them up for long terms now, but JP Barry is a savvy agent.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i just want to see Pettersson look like a top C for more than 1 out of every 3 games. 21 games in and i can count on one hand how many he's even looked like a good #1C.

Meanwhile in the North.....not including Dubois who will be a horse for Wpg

Point per game

McDavid 1.68
Draisaitl 1.47
Matthews 1.47
Scheifele 1.35
Lindholm .94
Tavares .89
Suzuki .80
Nugent Hopkins .79
Monahan .75
Horvat .71
Pettersson .67

Norris .53
Backlund .5
Kotkaniemi .47
Tierney .42
Danault .40

Even strength pts p/60

Matthews 3.69
Scheifele 3.35
McDavid 3.29
Draisaitl 3.16
Monahan 2.17
Suzuki 2.03
Kotkaniemi 2.02
Tierney 1.96
Tavares 1.95
Horvat 1.95
Lindholm 1.91
Pettersson 1.85
Backlund 1.7
Danault 1.49
Nugent Hopkins 1.29
Norris 1.29

Last edited:
Reactions: m9 and lindgren

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Count me in the camp that sees Petey and Hughes seeking bridge deals. With the flat cap and poor economic environment at the moment, and things tending to inflate over time, I think they will both push for bridges to lock in at higher terms later.

Canucks would be wise to try and lock them up for long terms now, but JP Barry is a savvy agent.
Completely agree.

The leverage against coming off not making playoffs and the deficiencies they are both struggling with...Hughes defending and Petey scoring are things they both would be wise to bet on themselves going forward.

Should be interesting

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i just want to see Pettersson look like a top C for more than 1 out of every 3 games. 21 games in and i can count on one hand how many he's even looked like a good #1C.

Meanwhile in the North.....not including Dubois who will be a horse for Wpg

Point per game

McDavid 1.68
Draisaitl 1.47
Matthews 1.47
Scheifele 1.35
Lindholm .94
Tavares .89
Suzuki .80
Nugent Hopkins .79
Monahan .75
Horvat .71
Pettersson .67

Norris .53
Backlund .5
Kotkaniemi .47
Tierney .42
Danault .40

Even strength pts p/60

Matthews 3.69
Scheifele 3.35
McDavid 3.29
Draisaitl 3.16
Monahan 2.17
Suzuki 2.03
Kotkaniemi 2.02
Tierney 1.96
Tavares 1.95
Horvat 1.95
Lindholm 1.91
Pettersson 1.85
Backlund 1.7
Danault 1.49
Nugent Hopkins 1.29
Norris 1.29

Pettersson has become such a Jekyll/Hyde sort of player.

'Good Pettersson' is the guy we saw at the start of his rookie season and in the playoffs last year. Full of energy, skating miles, looking to make things happen. Shows a Datsyuk-level ability to turn over the puck. Loves taking the puck at and attacking defenders on the rush. And looks like a star.

'Bad Pettersson' of this year and much of the regular season last year as well just sort of drifts around at ES waiting for the play to come to him. Doesn't get involved more than he needs to. Not much initiative. Overly reliant on his shooting skills on the PP to generate offense. And this player is very disappointing and not that effective.

Reactions: timw33 and m9

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pettersson has become such a Jekyll/Hyde sort of player.

'Good Pettersson' is the guy we saw at the start of his rookie season and in the playoffs last year. Full of energy, skating miles, looking to make things happen. Shows a Datsyuk-level ability to turn over the puck. Loves taking the puck at and attacking defenders on the rush. And looks like a star.

'Bad Pettersson' of this year and much of the regular season last year as well just sort of drifts around at ES waiting for the play to come to him. Doesn't get involved more than he needs to. Not much initiative. Overly reliant on his shooting skills on the PP to generate offense. And this player is very disappointing and not that effective.
I realize he's only just 22 and has lots of upside to his game. But i think it's fair to point out that a part of our failure this season has been that Pettersson in his role has not been very good.

The old adage is "you need your best players to be the best players to win"

It certainly doesn't dismiss Roussel Virtanen Gaudette Eriksson from being mostly useless

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I realize he's only just 22 and has lots of upside to his game. But i think it's fair to point out that a part of our failure this season has been that Pettersson in his role has not been very good.

The old adage is "you need your best players to be the best players to win"

It certainly doesn't dismiss Roussel Virtanen Gaudette Eriksson from being mostly useless

Oh, absolutely. I was quite critical of his ES performances in the 19-20 regular season as well.

2 ES goals in 21 games for a player of his ability is embarrassing. The guy has been a passenger so far this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->