Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Have we considered moving Miller to center and rolling 3 offensive lines?

Eriksson/Roussel-Beagle-Virtanen/Sutter (Motte and Bailey take the wings when they're healthy) as a shutdown line, load up a top line, and then split talent across the two remaining lines:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser (the give a **** line)
Pearson-Pettersson-MacEwen (a very poor man's lotto line)
Gaudette-Miller-Hawryluk (I have no philosophy for this line, outside of thinking Gaudette and Miller together could be a very good way to kick start Gaudette)

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Are you sure? I thought 4 years keeps him RFA after.

The last group of RFA’s were advised to bridge hoping for a huge boost in revenue but the pandemic happened. I could see RFA’s going for term again.

If my 4 year offer didn’t work I’d bump the offer to 6 years $9m

Pettersson is UFA in four more years. He'll have seven "accrued seasons" under his belt by summer 2025.

Barzal got $7M x 3. Unless he really picks up his play, I think that they can keep Pettersson under $8M for three years if they bridge him.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I realize he's only just 22 and has lots of upside to his game. But i think it's fair to point out that a part of our failure this season has been that Pettersson in his role has not been very good.

The old adage is "you need your best players to be the best players to win"

It certainly doesn't dismiss Roussel Virtanen Gaudette Eriksson from being mostly useless

Pettersson's been in some kind of mental funk; could see it in his expressions and body language right from the first game. I was pleased with his play last season and I'm confident that at some point this cloud is going to lift. And he's been pinging iron at a ridiculous rate so far; at some point, some of those pucks that have been hitting metal will hit twine instead.

Reactions: sting101

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Pettersson has become such a Jekyll/Hyde sort of player.

'Good Pettersson' is the guy we saw at the start of his rookie season and in the playoffs last year. Full of energy, skating miles, looking to make things happen. Shows a Datsyuk-level ability to turn over the puck. Loves taking the puck at and attacking defenders on the rush. And looks like a star.

'Bad Pettersson' of this year and much of the regular season last year as well just sort of drifts around at ES waiting for the play to come to him. Doesn't get involved more than he needs to. Not much initiative. Overly reliant on his shooting skills on the PP to generate offense. And this player is very disappointing and not that effective.

Much of last year? He was basically PPG and had an elite goal share and underlying numbers? He was amazing last year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Much of last year? He was basically PPG and had an elite goal share and underlying numbers? He was amazing last year.

He flew out of the gates last year (20 points in his first 14 games) and then was pretty underwhelming for much of the rest of the year. ES scoring was down from his rookie year (despite better linemates) and he had long stretches where he was accomplishing nothing at ES and being carried by his PP production, especially in November-December. JT Miller was the guy carrying that line most of last year.

Then Pettersson looked like a completely different player in the bubble, and was outstanding again. But what we're seeing now isn't new, and is identical to November-December 2019 in particular.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He flew out of the gates last year (20 points in his first 14 games) and then was pretty underwhelming for much of the rest of the year. ES scoring was down from his rookie year (despite better linemates) and he had long stretches where he was accomplishing nothing at ES and being carried by his PP production, especially in November-December. JT Miller was the guy carrying that line most of last year.

Then Pettersson looked like a completely different player in the bubble, and was outstanding again. But what we're seeing now isn't new, and is identical to November-December 2019 in particular.

Hard disagree from me here. His ES scoring was fine and in line with the ice time he was getting 5on5 his P/60 looked good. I find it laughable to suggest miller was carrying that line he was much more a benefactor of all that extra space Pettersson was garnering. Pettersson GF% at 5on5 was one of the best in the league and was on the ice for 5on5 goal than any other Canuck and was close to tops in the league.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’d look hard at trading Miller.

If the Nucks can gets 1st + young replacement winger or dman, I think I’d do the trade just because he looks and plays like someone has pissed in his cornflakes.
And Miller isn’t really a fit with the age of the young core. He will be finished his contract when the young core hits their prime.

Reactions: mriswith

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I’d look hard at trading Miller.

If the Nucks can gets 1st + young replacement winger or dman, I think I’d do the trade just because he looks and plays like someone has pissed in his cornflakes.
Miller is looking a bit 'off' this season, just like EP..Do you think he's forgotten how to play over a 5 month period.?..The panicky, knee-jerk portion of the fanbase wanted to trade Boeser last season if I recall...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hard disagree from me here. His ES scoring was fine and in line with the ice time he was getting 5on5 his P/60 looked good. I find it laughable to suggest miller was carrying that line he was much more a benefactor of all that extra space Pettersson was garnering. Pettersson GF% at 5on5 was one of the best in the league and was on the ice for 5on5 goal than any other Canuck and was close to tops in the league.

Hard disagree back and if you go back through the GDTs from last year you'll see all the same concerns. 4 ES points in a 17 game stretch in November-December.

A lot of his results last year are off the back of that fast start. He wasn't 'bad' but for most of the year he looked nowhere near as dynamic as he can be. And yeah, Miller was skating miles and really driving that line forward.

And again, 'poor' for Pettersson isn't like poor for Sutter or Roussel. What we're talking about is a guy who shows streaks of superstar ability but then blends into the crowd as just a 'pretty good' first line forward for much of the time.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Miller is looking a bit 'off' this season, just like EP..Do you think he's forgotten how to play over a 5 month period.?..The panicky, knee-jerk portion of the fanbase wanted to trade Boeser last season if I recall...
Nothing to do with Miller’s play. Trade him because it’s the best move for our young group to be best supported when they hit their primes. Miller will be gone, just when our young core is hitting their stride. Get age appropriate assets back.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Unless Petey and Hughes set the tone with team friendlier contracts it’s going to be a Horvat or Miller situation. Don’t think they’re keeping both.

Reactions: lindgren

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
At what point are we far enough behind fourth place that Benning/Brod (Jethro/Jethrine) accept the playoffs aren’t happening, and we need to sell our coming UFAs and collect draft capital? It’s got t be soon, no?

Reactions: hoglanderisbeast

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Horvat is a 1C, like ive been saying all along.

So is EP but both he and hughes are tiny, they're only going to get better as they catch up physically.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
we should trade miller. he was really good for us last year and still is a good player but i just dont see him on our team when our window is ready. like in 2 years when hes ufa and its probably not going to be a good signing even if he wants to stick with canucks. the only problem is our team got really emo about markstrom and tanev. i could see them get emo again if they traded miller for draft picks. but trade miller and myers together and get a good draft pick. so now we have cap space for the future and a young player for miller who would probably leave anyway

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
At what point are we far enough behind fourth place that Benning/Brod (Jethro/Jethrine) accept the playoffs aren’t happening, and we need to sell our coming UFAs and collect draft capital? It’s got t be soon, no?
I dont think that will happen and i think we as fans are in a shitty position. Benning needs to do EVERYTHING to make the playoffs to save his job, which means the long term thinking for this team aint happening from management. Is why is the best time to remove Benning and the rest of the management team and bring in a FRESH management to sell off assets and build the team in the summer and if they feel they need one more season then so be it but perhaps they can compete again next season if the new GM could do it right. Unfortunately that wont happen, Benning will be here and guys like Pearson and Sutter will still be here AFTER the deadline

Of course i hope Im wrong and things dont happen that way but seems INEVITABLE or whatever its called

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I'm going to say we do not need to trade Miller until we see what a new coach can bring the team.

Remember when people hopped on the trade Boeser bandwagon. Let's wait this out.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'm going to say we do not need to trade Miller until we see what a new coach can bring the team.

Remember when people hopped on the trade Boeser bandwagon. Let's wait this out.

I thought the Boeser thing was basically just folks feeling as though he was the best piece that the team could dangle to get an equivalent-ish player on D?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I thought the Boeser thing was basically just folks feeling as though he was the best piece that the team could dangle to get an equivalent-ish player on D?
He was seen as replaceable. Miller is now seen as replaceable now too. People are psycho analyzing him based on his on ice performance.

Let's wait this out

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Nashville is rumored to be sellers...
I'd love the chance to get Forsberg..he would look great with Pettersson and Boeser..
Personally rather go after Fabbro.

Apparently they were interested in Gaudette. Clearly the Nucks would need to add but he would be a great additional for sorely needed RHD help.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Do you guys think New Jersey would trade Severson? I doubt it, as they're an upstart team and upstart teams need solid D-men, but he'd be a fantastic get. RH shot, great underlying numbers, can play the PP and PK.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
AC1EA88D-2610-40E2-B5AA-4FE42D06B118.jpeg
Pettersson was one of the most dominant even strength players in the entire league last season, he was top 5 in a ton of metrics and his shot suppression along with goal suppression was like out of this world good.

When Hughes and Pettersson were on the ice last season no centre / defender duo in the NHL outscored their opposition more. When Pettersson was on the ice the Canucks scored 63~ % of all goals where as when he was off they scored something like 44 %. He was getting Hart trophy love for an abundance of analytic based models.

To me suggesting he was poor at even strength when literally every metrics shows him at elite and some even have him inside the top 3 in the entire league is crazy.

Obviously looking “dynamic” is cool, but when you have a guy just overwhelmingly outplaying and outscoring his opposition every time he’s on the ice Id take that any day of the week. He was also miles better last season than his rookie year despite looking “less dynamic”.

It reminds me of the Sedins 2013 season, where people assumed they got worse because they went from ArtRoss winners to PPG but they actually may have quietly had the most effective season of their career.

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
View attachment 398723 Pettersson was one of the most dominant even strength players in the entire league last season, he was top 5 in a ton of metrics and his shot suppression along with goal suppression was like out of this world good.

When Hughes and Pettersson were on the ice last season no centre / defender duo in the NHL outscored their opposition more. When Pettersson was on the ice the Canucks scored 63~ % of all goals where as when he was off they scored something like 44 %. He was getting Hart trophy love for an abundance of analytic based models.

To me suggesting he was poor at even strength when literally every metrics shows him at elite and some even have him inside the top 3 in the entire league is crazy.

Obviously looking “dynamic” is cool, but when you have a guy just overwhelmingly outplaying and outscoring his opposition every time he’s on the ice Id take that any day of the week. He was also miles better last season than his rookie year despite looking “less dynamic”.

It reminds me of the Sedins 2013 season, where people assumed they got worse because they went from ArtRoss winners to PPG but they actually may have quietly had the most effective season of their career.
Can't like at the moment but...LIKE.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Have we considered moving Miller to center and rolling 3 offensive lines?

Eriksson/Roussel-Beagle-Virtanen/Sutter (Motte and Bailey take the wings when they're healthy) as a shutdown line, load up a top line, and then split talent across the two remaining lines:

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser (the give a **** line)
Pearson-Pettersson-MacEwen (a very poor man's lotto line)
Gaudette-Miller-Hawryluk (I have no philosophy for this line, outside of thinking Gaudette and Miller together could be a very good way to kick start Gaudette)
I’m ready for something like this. You can see Gaudette’s scoring ability but he can’t create by himself on the forecheck. Miller’s vision and ability to draw defenders could get him going.

Reactions: Cogburn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad