Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
When the Canucks coaching staff finally got their hands on Juolevi, his development finally went on an upward trend. Should be noted for when we’re calling for everyone’s heads later

Juolevi's development has been one of the few promising spots on a pretty brutal season, but I can't say that I love Green's propensity to bench him after he plays well. He had just finished his best run of play as a pro, in my estimation, and he immediately gets sent back to the press box when Hamonic is healthy.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Juolevi's development has been one of the few promising spots on a pretty brutal season, but I can't say that I love Green's propensity to bench him after he plays well. He had just finished his best run of play as a pro, in my estimation, and he immediately gets sent back to the press box when Hamonic is healthy.
It's really frustrating. It isn't punitive and he isn't learning anything from it, Green will go on about icing a team that presents the best chance to win, but our vets have been dogshit for the most part. There is no accountability for them when they make mistakes that would have a young player out of the lineup.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I am putting Hughes on the block.

What is he worth?
What are some trade ideas?

The team didn't promise to marry and cherish him.

He has been on the ice for 36 goals against so far this year.

He loses 80% of his puck battles, he gets brushed off the puck to easily.

Sure he looks like a little cute cherub out there but winning is important too. Where would the team be now if they had half to goals against back? 7 more wins? 8?

Let's see how many think with their big head? How many with the heart?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

What is he worth?

Sure he looks like a little cute cherub out there but winning is important too. Where would the team be now if they had half to goals against back? 7 more wins? 8?

I know there can sometimes be extreme over reactions but yikes.

Given there is a high likelihood this team will have two Hughes on defence shortly, now is not the time to trade someone who, yes has their shortcoming defensively, but is something this team has essentially never had offensively on the back end.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think we are at the stage where the season finishes with no moves made, and a new gm and coach is named 5 minutes later followed by twitter pr speeches about covid being a hard blow to the path we were on but now change needed. we just rely on the professionalism of benning and green not to make things worse as they run out the clock.

i mean i suppose we might be tdl sellers, but not working very hard at it.

tough year to get a lottery pick.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

What is he worth?

This is whats called a 'rash' decision..(after a 24 game sample of this weird season)
giphy-2.gif

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i think we are at the stage where the season finishes with no moves made, and a new gm and coach is named 5 minutes later followed by twitter pr speeches about covid being a hard blow to the path we were on but now change needed. we just rely on the professionalism of benning and green not to make things worse as they run out the clock.

i mean i suppose we might be tdl sellers, but not working very hard at it.

tough year to get a lottery pick.
What an embarrassment that would continue to be.

They're losing consumer confidence every day that passes and nothing gets done. No accountability from anybody, nothing.

It's obvious Benning is done....I don't think waiting until the season ends, when you're still going to have to use zoom or whatever to have face to face meetings with candidates makes any sense.

Continuing to be reactive and not pro-active is creating apathy. I don't think there is a hire out there that could smooth the waters like Linden did in the public the last time. So the new person has to hit the ground running, the sooner the better. They have things to plan for, and entering 2021/22 with a fairly similar group would do incredible damage.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They. Can’t. Afford. To. Do. Nothing.

We need to either get assets so that we start rebuilding our below average prospect pool or we get assets and flip the assets we get to dump the bad contracts in the summer.

Oh, and we need someone who can proactively get a good player who teams are scared to lose for nothing in the ED

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I've been stumping for Max Jones...he'd add some grit and actual toughness that team is sorely lacking.

I hear that. What gives Terry the edge for me are his puck skills and that he's a center. Probably not a 3rd line center but a 4C, 3rd line utility winger deployment and at a reasonable cap hit.

Reactions: Canucker

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Benning has never given me reason to be hopeful that he will do the right thing..... so not sure what you lot are all expecting.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Man some people are ready to move on from Hughes a little too quickly. Not just here but in my offline life, friends who watch hockey but don't really do message boards or are more casual fans.

I'd be looking at trying him with a better partner than benn, Hamonic, Myers etc first. Hughes is a rare kind of talent that doesn't come along very often.

If he's got warts to his game, work with them to maximize the positives.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
a lot of insiders saying Virtanen for Heinen is almost done. Saves the Canucks money for next year if it happens

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
a lot of insiders saying Virtanen for Heinen is almost done. Saves the Canucks money for next year if it happens
Only makes sense if they don’t qualify Heinen. His QO is a higher caphit than Jake.

Would be deck chair cycling. What depressing news this bozo GM is allowed to do anything.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Only makes sense if they don’t qualify Heinen. His QO is a higher caphit than Jake.

Would be deck chair cycling. What depressing news this bozo GM is allowed to do anything.

AT this point I’m just hoping Jethro doesn’t give up a pick along with JAke, because he has to cover the second year of jakes contract.

Reactions: David71

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I think they should prioritize selling the UFAs at or prior to TDL, Pearson, Edler, Sutter all should fetch something decent, maybe a 2nd-3rd, and maybe a 5th for Benn. Hell, they should get Hamonic going and sell him too, may get something decent.
Then they need to use those picks to 1) capitalize on their free protection spots this summer, and 2) get at least one of Loui, Beagle, Roussel off the roster for next year.
Their staff should be doing detailed analyses of every other team’s protect/expose decisions and making a shortlist or targets, need another Schmidt-quality guy (tho more defensive) and a middle 6 F, both ideally mid-20s (I love ekholm, but he likely too old.)
I would replace Benning but keep Green. Unfortunately i dont see the former happening before these TDL moves have to happen, we’ll have to live with it. I would def. prefer the other handled by the next guy.
I assume Jake goes for a comparable $ guy
Then 3 year bridges at 7-8 (Barzal+) for EP and QH.
I think w nominal bumps for RFAs I think that leaves just $10M in space for 4-6 spots (depending on rookies), assuming the 3 vet albatross contracts still around.
Guess we need a backup too if Hotby goes to Seattle. Lots of work to be done.

Lotto
Hog-Bo- _______
Motte-Gaud-(Virt)
Podz-______-Mac

Hughes-_______
________-Schmidt
OJ-Myers
Rath-Raff-Chat-Bries

Demko

(Holtby)

Last edited:
Reactions: hoglanderisbeast