Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Is there any player we would want from Buffalo?
You bet.

Since this is fantasy
Boeser, Miller, Hughes and Juloevi for Dahlin, Eichel and ?

This improves both teams
Boeser and Miller infuse more scoring
Moving Boeser helps the Canucks in 2 years in the cap.
Moving Miller is striking when the iron is hot for a return and he would be near 30 when the team is really going.
Moving Hughes and Juloevi for Dahlin gets the Canucks the same pedigree defenceman only much bigger and a much better defender. Giving Buffalo gives them a upgrade for their PP.
Of course moving Eichel, for Buffalo it is moving a star player that is obviously not happy for years now.
Eichel coming to Van might push Horvat to 3rd line center, which is a very good thing because it means the team is deep at that position.

Van still has it's very young core
It's stud dman in Dahlin
Superstar center in Eichel
Much better cap control.

Both teams get a shake up or wake up.

Support players can be attained at the Expansion draft of at the draft table

Buffalo is a lot like Arizona and Edmonton used to be, stuck in a "wait for the other boot to drop" spot.
Buffalo will never succeed with a super star player saying he is tired of losing, that really is throwing his team under the bus and it isn't good for the lifetime of a GM or coach.
They really need to move Eichel, for me though I would insist Dahlin for Hughes be added

Reactions: Luckylarry

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Hard to say for me as I haven’t seen or looked at a lot of the other teams with this season, but we are most definitely in the top 3 worst, we have an X factor too where we have ample dead cap that you can include if you are so inclined

our 5th line
Loui Baertschi Spooner 10 million
Little more than that
Luo - 3
Ferland - 3.5
Eriksson - 6
Baerstchi - 3.6
Spooner - 1

It is startling how much money Mr.Aquilini allowed Benning to waste, discount Luo but then add in Gillis's 8 mil, Gillman's 4 or 5, and all the other contracted guys that were canned because they argued with Benning. Now there is just a bunch of "yes" men except for the newly hired Chris Gear as assistant GM

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Do we have the worst bottom 6 in the NHL?
Somebody ran the numbers on this forum the other day. The Canucks bottom 6 ranks 30th of 31 teams on point production.

If you factor in the cost of the group coupled with the costs of the taxi squad (who still count on the cap) it’s by far the least efficient in the league.

It’s also all Jim Benning’s doing. Can’t blame anyone else.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Haven't done one of these in a while.

Obviously next year won't be a realistic chance to succeed given the amount of crap still on our books. The following year is when things open up and we can take a serious run (hopefully without Benning). My pipedream is that we sign Scott Laughton for $3M this offseason and then Barkov for $10M and Nick Paul for $2.5M next offseason. All of the rest of the spots can be filled internally. 2022-2023 roster and cap numbers would look some like (guessing for some internal contracts):

EP ($8.5M) - Barkov ($10M) - Boeser ($7.5M)
Miller ($5.25M) - Horvat ($5.5M) - Hoglander ($1M)
Podkolzin ($1M) - Laughton ($3M) - Gaudette/Lind/Jasek/Lockwood ($1M)
Gadjovich ($1M) - Paul ($2.5M) - Gaudette/Lind/Jasek/Lockwood ($1M)

Hughes ($8.5M) - Woo ($1M)
Rathbone ($3M) - Schmidt (5.95M)
Juolevi ($2M) - Myers ($6M)

Demko ($5M)
Dipietro ($1M)

Total: $79.7M

Reactions: Diamonddog01

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is there any player we would want from Buffalo?

Looking at that roster, other than the obvious young/good (expensive) guys like Eichel/Reinhart/Olofsson/Dahlin/Cozens there really isn't anyone who would be of any interest.

If we were in a playoff position, Jake McCabe as a rental for a 4th rounder maybe? But we aren't.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Looking at that roster, other than the obvious young/good (expensive) guys like Eichel/Reinhart/Olofsson/Dahlin/Cozens there really isn't anyone who would be of any interest.

If we were in a playoff position, Jake McCabe as a rental for a 4th rounder maybe? But we aren't.

I would trade one of Roussel/Beagle for Colin Miller. Would give us a right-side D upgrade for $1.8M net cap hit, far better than anything we're likely to do this off-season.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

McCabe is out of the rest of the season with a knee injury anyway.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would trade one of Roussel/Beagle for Colin Miller. Would give us a right-side D upgrade for $1.8M net cap hit, far better than anything we're likely to do this off-season.

Colin Miller is an absolutely shit hockey player. If the salaries were straight across for Roussel I'd think about it but I definitely wouldn't add salary for him.

Beagle - sad is this is - is unequivocally better value on his contract right now.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ha, good call. Solid enough 3rd pairing defender, though.

When I was looking through potential guys to bring in as UFA to temporarily fix the defence for next year he was someone I had targeted on a 1 or 2 year deal. This was before the injury.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The worst part of the "bottom six" issue to me is that somehow the Canucks have an extremely overpriced bottom six and yet the ONLY player in the bottom six that you should spend big money on is a good 3rd line center.. and that's what they desperately need.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The worst part of the "bottom six" issue to me is that somehow the Canucks have an extremely overpriced bottom six and yet the ONLY player in the bottom six that you should spend big money on is a good 3rd line center.. and that's what they desperately need.

Yup, it's a patented Jim Benning Double Failure™ where he fails to address the wrong team need.

1 - He focuses on leadership and intangibles at the bottom of the lineup (wasn't necessary)
2 - Completely fails to address it

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

I know, right? It's a special brand of incompetence.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Haven't done one of these in a while.

Obviously next year won't be a realistic chance to succeed given the amount of crap still on our books. The following year is when things open up and we can take a serious run (hopefully without Benning). My pipedream is that we sign Scott Laughton for $3M this offseason and then Barkov for $10M and Nick Paul for $2.5M next offseason. All of the rest of the spots can be filled internally. 2022-2023 roster and cap numbers would look some like (guessing for some internal contracts):

EP ($8.5M) - Barkov ($10M) - Boeser ($7.5M)
Miller ($5.25M) - Horvat ($5.5M) - Hoglander ($1M)
Podkolzin ($1M) - Laughton ($3M) - Gaudette/Lind/Jasek/Lockwood ($1M)
Gadjovich ($1M) - Paul ($2.5M) - Gaudette/Lind/Jasek/Lockwood ($1M)

Hughes ($8.5M) - Woo ($1M)
Rathbone ($3M) - Schmidt (5.95M)
Juolevi ($2M) - Myers ($6M)

Demko ($5M)
Dipietro ($1M)

Total: $79.7M

This is a strange "pipe dream" scenario. After the years of discussion over how inefficient our bottom-six is, I don't know why we'd want to commit medium money and term to average-ish bottom sixers in Laughton and Paul. I dunno why some people here have this obsession with Laughton. He's okay, but I wouldn't chase him. Fill the bottom-six with bargain-basement guys and our own prospects (Trent Cull seems to think Lind and Jasek have made great strides all around and are close).

I'd love Barkov too, but he won't be available. It's much more important to upgrade the right-defense spot anyway, because I don't think Woo is really even going to be NHL calibre. Dumping Myers (somehow) should be a priority too.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Ha, good call. Solid enough 3rd pairing defender, though.

I think he's more than that. His defensive impact is very strong. I think if you could add a guy like McCabe (or Ryan Murray, who has injury risk but also a history of strong defensive play), I think you could pair him with Schmidt for an effective shutdown pair.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I think he's more than that. His defensive impact is very strong. I think if you could add a guy like McCabe (or Ryan Murray, who has injury risk but also a history of strong defensive play), I think you could pair him with Schmidt for an effective shutdown pair.

Yep. Adam Larsson another option for this role IMO.

Nov 1, 2011
Do you think the Canucks (a) could and (b) should lock up Hughes and Petey to $8m x 8 years each right now?

Seems like a prudent move given the current cap conditions.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
This is a strange "pipe dream" scenario. After the years of discussion over how inefficient our bottom-six is, I don't know why we'd want to commit medium money and term to average-ish bottom sixers in Laughton and Paul. I dunno why some people here have this obsession with Laughton. He's okay, but I wouldn't chase him. Fill the bottom-six with bargain-basement guys and our own prospects (Trent Cull seems to think Lind and Jasek have made great strides all around and are close).

I'd love Barkov too, but he won't be available. It's much more important to upgrade the right-defense spot anyway, because I don't think Woo is really even going to be NHL calibre. Dumping Myers (somehow) should be a priority too.

Depth at centre is generally a staple on championship teams. Laughton is a fantastic 40 point 3rd line centre who brings energy and is a pest to play against. He is a top 5 3rd line centre in the NHL. I generally agree with filling the bottom 6 with bargain contracts with the exception of paying a bit more for centre.

If Barkov isn't available, I agree that Seth Jones/Parayko/Pulock/Ristolainen should be targets.

Wouldn't be opposed to Couturier or Hertl either.

Obviously some of these players will re-signed before free agency, but there are a fair amount of big fish available next year right as cap space opens up for us.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Do you think the Canucks (a) could and (b) should lock up Hughes and Petey to $8m x 8 years each right now?

Seems like a prudent move given the current cap conditions.
I don’t know if Petey and Hughes will sign long term deals, but it sure would be great to lock them up with your suggested dollar and term.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
On the D moving forward...

I would be very interested to see if one of Hughes or Rathbone can play the right side. It would add good balance to the top 6 for next year. I'm expecting Juolevi to fill a 5/6 slot over the next couple of years. It's arguable he's looked better all around than Hamonic, Myers, and Benn. Whether he becomes anything more than that time will tell.

Next year...re-sign Edler for 1 year.

Hughes - Schmidt
Edler-Rathbone
Juolevi-Myers
Woo

The year after...

Hughes - Schmidt
Rathbone-Woo
Juolevi-Myers
New guy

If Woo isn't ready to take a full spot in 22/23 they should have some cap flexibility by then to acquire a D-man.

The year after that...

Hughes - Schmidt
Rathbone-Woo
Juolevi-(2021 1st round pick (Clarke, Power or Hughes))
Myers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad