Fantasy GM Thread | Miller Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
it's silly to speculate about the canucks taking on money in a miller deal. they simply can't afford to do so. the cost to move pearson/dickinson or even garland likely exceeds what you'd get back in the deal

i think vancouver end up moving miller at the trade deadline or letting him walk next summer (depending on their positioning at the deadline). i think doing anything else would require more creativity and risk than this front office is willing to take on

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
So what's the expectation with the defense if nothing really changes?

The team traded a 3rd for Dermott and honestly, I didn't think he was that bad. Anyone got any insight/stats on his performance?

I think Dermott can play both side so if nothing changes, could he slot beside Myers if OEL plays with Hughes, potentially playing right side to Hughes, or spearheading that elite 3rd pair defense?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
We have ~500K cap space once Ferland's LTIR kicks in. We are in no position to sign anyone until we can get out from under a contract or 2.

Say they dump Pearson to Arizona. Then we would have some flexibility. But that trade probably looks like Pearson and 2023 2nd for future considerations.

So would that be worth it to maybe shore up our defense by taking on a guy that hopefully can play spot duty on the 2nd pairing?

The way things are going, it looks like we'll ride with Poolman until Poolman proves that he's not ready in which case we LTIR and take on a ~1.25M defender who is on the outs with his team or is still looking for a contract that we can shuffle to and from Abbotsford to remain cap compliant depending.

It's definitely not ideal, but I don't know what would be a good alternative.

Since this is a Miller thread, his agent is currently negotiating through the media that the path to signing Miller is to dump contracts onto Arizona and Chicago so that it frees up cap to take on Miller to whatever their asking price happens to be. Given the price to dump a contract, it's really an unappealing route to take.
With defencemen like Edler signing for less than 1M, I don't think adding one depth defender who can play up the lineup a bit will be that hard or require paying assets to dump salary. Although some guys might simply retire and move on rather than accept a salary that might not even meet their expenses in an average year. Can you even afford a car on 750k a season after escrow and agent fees?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
You mean Voracek, right?

Salary would either need to be retained by the Canucks or Blue Jackets need to send another contract.

giphy.gif

We would save 500k ish. With no Nyquist and Voracek after this year they could keep Miller. CBJ isnt in a cap crunch right now anyway

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Rick Nash called Kent his son they hung out so much.
He was doing the 2 and half hour drive to Yost every home series and they would just get a coffee and talk.

I doubt he would be included in anything.

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
I'm fine with taking Nyquist as long as we get a decent package along with him.

I don't believe Sillinger is on the table so: Johnson, Peeke + pick.

Gives CBJ their #1C.

GIves the Nucks a W to fill in for Miller who could potentially be moved at the TDL on an expiring contract.

Plus a local C prospect in Johnson.

RHD in Peeke who can play Top 4 mins.

+ pick.

CBJ still keeps most of their quality young players/prospects.
This is still not happening. Columbus isn't giving up Kent. Nor Kent, pick

Johnson is the price for attaching Nyquist.

Allows CBJ to keep Sillinger and Texier down the middle.

CBJ would then have Miller, Sillinger, Roslovic and Texier down the middle.
Some of you are in denial thinking this is in anyway realistic

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Johnson is the price for attaching Nyquist.

Allows CBJ to keep Sillinger and Texier down the middle.

CBJ would then have Miller, Sillinger, Roslovic and Texier down the middle.
Johnson is not the price for attaching Nyquist to a Miller deal. Come on now. Look at the deals and signings that have happened in the past few weeks. The value is nowhere near what people want it to be.

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
No one here is suggesting that the Blue Jackets (or any other team) are focusing on Miller. But in this case, it makes a ton of sense for Columbus. Their top center is currently Boone Jenner. That seems a bit weak considering the other moves they made this off season. As far as their roster goes and fitting Miller in, they really wouldn't have any issues. Let s break it down....

They currently have an active roster of 24/23, plus 3 players on IR. So while the 3 players on IR don't count against their roster limit, they do count against the cap. So while they are showing ~$960k above the cap, that is for the 27 players. Assuming all IR players are healthy at seasons start, they need to remove 4 to get down to a 23 man roster. Let's spitball and look at the roster and remove 4 (lets say Tarasov/Blankenburg/Gaunce/Meyer go down), that removes $3,387,500 in salary. So they go from $960k over, to ~$2.5 mill under. If they wanted to fit Miller in, they only need to send us ~$3 mill back.

They could very easily make it work, if of course, they have interest in uograding their center position
Reposting from Friday as the discussion revolves around Columbus. They have the cap space to take on Miller once they trim their roster to 23. Easily. We’d only need to take back 3 mill or so in salary

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This is still not happening. Columbus isn't giving up Kent. Nor Kent, pick

Some of you are in denial thinking this is in anyway realistic
I am in Vancouver, not Egypt

Johnson is not the price for attaching Nyquist to a Miller deal. Come on now. Look at the deals and signings that have happened in the past few weeks. The value is nowhere near what people want it to be.
Then there is no deal with CBJ. Which is fine.

Reactions: M2Beezy and Vector

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I am in Vancouver, not Egypt

Then there is no deal with CBJ. Which is fine.

I think there is definitely a deal to be made with CBJ. They have so many young players

Boqvist, Peeke, Texier, and Sillinger are all of interest to me. Then, they have quite a few prospects outside of the NHL. I definitely think they have the pieces to make it work. I’d happily take Nyquist back in the deal as well, he only has a year left and scored over 50 points last year. Plus, CBJ is close to Miller’s home town, and considering their moves this off-season they seem to be wanting to compete for the playoffs now. They definitely aren’t a team I would exclude.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The problem with Miller’s value, and I said it regarding the Huberdeau trade, the market for currently elite players that will want 8 year deals commencing when they are like 30 is unfortunately really poor. A combination of the flat cap and teams overtime figuring out that these kind of deals just aren’t worth it has led the market to crater. It’s why Kadri is unsigned. It’s why Huberdeau wasn’t value as much as some would think. It’s why only two teams made offers to Gaudreau. And it’s why Miller remains a Canucks.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I feel pretty confidently that the team will trade Miller regardless of standings. (I think he'll be gone before the season starts, still.)

Maybe you think I'm out to lunch, but I think this isn't Benning anymore. No more pie in the sky, get in anything can happen, oh God please don't fire me thinking.

If the team will squeak into the playoffs but is only going to be first round fodder they'll maintain a future forward point of view. I just feel confidently about that.

And I'm sure someone will say, but Aquilini! I think Rutherford will do what he's paid to do and shut him out.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Miller is walking for nothing at the end of the season. This is the Canucks. This is the way.

With the trades happening recently I don't think he will have franchise course altering trade value at any point from here on out.

So... Barring a trade where we rob someone, we are headed for a ~5 year period of mediocrity where we will make the playoffs ~50% of the time and then head in to a rebuild. I don't really see a way around that anymore.

Disheartening.

Reactions: quat

MatthewMurdock

Jul 25, 2022
The Miller situation is the litmus test of this management team. Benning wanted to move Kesler asap to put his mark on the team. Although the Kesler trade was a massive failure as a net transaction he did an okay job bringing in value for him. The problem with Benning is he never had a plan, he made some okay moves in 2015 but lost the plot after the Dorsett and Sbisa contracts.

Rutherford and co promised gun slinging but have done the complete opposite. The Mikheyev contact was a bold move and a bit of a risk, but outside of that it's been status quo. If they're waiting for the right deal to come similar to what Sakic did with Duchene then I don't really have a problem with it. The market is really tough in terms of what the Canucks have a surplus on.

In a market like Vancouver the Miller saga will be the number 1 sports cycle every game of the season, but if they're really wanting to wait till the deadline I am okay with it. The NHL Draft is like the week before Halloween, picks just like candy and costumes are sold at a premium. Where as the deadline is like November 1st where a first round pick just like the candy on the shelf is worth Ben Chariot.

MatthewMurdock

Jul 25, 2022
If the Islanders are scared of another John Tavares situation, here's something I saw from Canucks Twitter. Similar to the Hubderdeau/Tkachuk trade.

JT Miller (extended) + Brock Boeser/Connor Garland for Matthew Barzal.

Building around Barzal and Pettersson long term down the middle would be neat.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If the Islanders are scared of another John Tavares situation, here's something I saw from Canucks Twitter. Similar to the Hubderdeau/Tkachuk trade.

Nothing against barzal but I don’t think he’s that good to command 2 top 6 players. Am I wrong here? To me it would be more of a miller (agrees to an extension) and maybe a hoglander. But again i could only really see this if islanders are getting the impression barzal has no intentions of being their long term.

With that said, I do like barzal and the idea of bringing him back home is also very appealing.

Sebastien

May 1, 2022

In what world do you think islanders are giving up a 1c on cheap contract for two years? To resign jt Miller and get Garland? Some of you are truly living a fantasy. Ps: Lou doesn't deal with any teams after details are leaked. He dod same thing with Minnesota after Parise deal was leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark