Fantasy GM Thread | Miller Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
I feel like Alvin&co are self sabotaging the Miller trade, it does not make sense for them to say 1 playoff run would be the same return as 2 playoff runs of Miller unless they misjudged the offseason market. So they either misjudged the market or have been wanting to keep Miller.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
I feel like Alvin&co are self sabotaging the Miller trade, it does not make sense for them to say 1 playoff run would be the same return as 2 playoff runs of Miller unless they misjudged the offseason market. So they either misjudged the market or have been wanting to keep Miller.
I believe they want to keep Miller and ship out Garland+Pearson instead. Trading Garland+Pearson would free up just over 8 million needed to extend Miller. We would have 30 million in cap space next offseason to re-sign Miller, Horvat, Kuzmenko, Höglander, Dermott, Schenn, Burroughs, Lockwood and Woo.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Do we think management was hoping some of the offseason UFA resigns/ other teams filling their need would force miller back into their arms to accept a reasonable contract resign? I still have my doubts if we turned around and offered him 6 x $8.5M he’d even accept and is hell bent on going back to US.

Reactions: theguardianII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't really love Garland for Marino as has been discussed, but I don't mind Garland/Pearson for Marino/Kapanen. The money should be similar and we get out of the extra year on Pearson.

Have to think Klingberg is still holding some things up here before the RD dominos fall.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Well, okay then...

PR3j.gif

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Clearly Miller’s most value was at the 2022 TDL. The next time he will have a high value (not as high as at the 2022 TDL) will be at the 2023 TDL. I think that’s just common sense. The big question is whether our owner will allow a trade like that (at a TDL) if our club is in a playoff hunt?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I literally would rather have let Boeser walk than trade Garland + dump for Marino.

Forwards are worth nothing and defensemen are massively overvalued right now. Take advantage of it and sell off whichever of our defenseman it's possible to sell, worry about long term replacements later.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Nashville has already given out to retirement contracts to Johansen, Duchene, Josi, Forsberg and Ekholm.

I don't how much willingness they are going to have to add another 1 in Miller when they are getting burned on 2.5/5 of them. Otherwise they are the perfect target. The mushy middle team that is at a downturn of their contention cycle and has an abudence of prospects/targets

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't really love Garland for Marino as has been discussed, but I don't mind Garland/Pearson for Marino/Kapanen. The money should be similar and we get out of the extra year on Pearson.

Have to think Klingberg is still holding some things up here before the RD dominos fall.

Even with that trade something else would still need to happen. The way I see the roster, someone has to get traded for some sort of futures or purely as a cap dump.

That’s the part that I don’t think they can get to work. No one is moving players for picks and the Canucks don’t have any excess picks or prospects to facilitate a cap dump.

There’s also DiPietro. He’s clearly the odd man out and the team has no ECHL affiliate. They still qualified him so they must believe he has some sort of value but I just don’t see it.

I’m increasingly skeptical that Klingberg and Kadri are holding up the entirety of the market. I’m probably wrong and teams are waiting for a cascade once those two sign.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I believe they want to keep Miller and ship out Garland+Pearson instead. Trading Garland+Pearson would free up just over 8 million needed to extend Miller. We would have 30 million in cap space next offseason to re-sign Miller, Horvat, Kuzmenko, Höglander, Dermott, Schenn, Burroughs, Lockwood and Woo.

I think the current management under estimated the long term damage that Benning left this club in when they agreed to take over.

Also only the first 2 guys listed are must resigns then Kuz and Hogs depends, last 5 guys are entirely replaceable and the bargain bin UFA market will probably be just as strong as it looks this year.

The real problem with resigning Miller will be his age at some point in an 8 year contract.

Reactions: Fatass

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Even with that trade something else would still need to happen. The way I see the roster, someone has to get traded for some sort of futures or purely as a cap dump.

That’s the part that I don’t think they can get to work. No one is moving players for picks and the Canucks don’t have any excess picks or prospects to facilitate a cap dump.

There’s also DiPietro. He’s clearly the odd man out and the team has no ECHL affiliate. They still qualified him so they must believe he has some sort of value but I just don’t see it.

I’m increasingly skeptical that Klingberg and Kadri are holding up the entirety of the market. I’m probably wrong and teams are waiting for a cascade once those two sign.

I'm not too worried about DiPietro. You're going to want 5 guys signed in case of injuries anyway, so whether that's him or they flip him and sign another warm body it doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure about Kadri holding things up but it makes sense with Klingberg as Ottawa is rumored to be interested in him, Marino, and Weegar. Petry floating in the background as well.

I think pretty much anything big the Canucks do requires a 2nd move. That's either exciting or depressing, depending how optimistic you are they are going to do anything.

Reactions: Vector

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Here is a laffer, trade with Calgary
Then they could be called the Calgary Canucks

Miller, Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom,
I think the current management under estimated the long term damage that Benning left this club in when they agreed to take over.

Also only the first 2 guys listed are must resigns then Kuz and Hogs depends, last 5 guys are entirely replaceable and the bargain bin UFA market will probably be just as strong as it looks this year.

The real problem with resigning Miller will be his age at some point in an 8 year contract.
I don't think they under estimated the damage, I think there was too much for too many new folks to assimilate. Sort of paralysis by analysis.
While working out the front office structure and responsibilities there may have been too many folks in the decision making process at first.
Too many that didn't look at the last years of futility and maybe were convinced by the Sedins to give the group another chance to make a playoff spot.
They could do it too, they only have to beat out 3 other teams for a crack at the WC spot. SJ will be rebuilding, Anaheim is still rebuilding but almost caught the Canucks last year, LA looks like they are in year 3 of their rebuild and definitely passed the Canucks, Vegas will rebound, what an incredible amount of injuries they had last year, Edmonton looks better and Calgary could easily become a defensive nightmare for other teams, Seattle gets an honorable mention, they should not be as good as the Canucks.

The markets are drying up, at the TDL I figured Miller was worth a 1rst rnd pick and "A" prospect. Now they may have to settle with a lot less and sell it as getting cap space.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nashville has already given out to retirement contracts to Johansen, Duchene, Josi, Forsberg and Ekholm.

I don't how much willingness they are going to have to add another 1 in Miller when they are getting burned on 2.5/5 of them. Otherwise they are the perfect target. The mushy middle team that is at a downturn of their contention cycle and has an abudence of prospects/targets

I get that Johansen is a SC burn but who are the other 1.5 guys?

They also are one of the teams that have some cap space to work with and might see Miller as the piece that pushes them over the hump, although I doubt that many people see Miller as that type of guy which probably hurts his trade value.

I get that Vincent Trocheck was signed for less than Miller will be looking for but he will also bring less value to the NYR and that was a puzzling choice for them IMO.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
This is pretty much where were at if we role with what we have right now. The forward group looks pretty stacked, but once again the defense is very underwhelming. If we trade one of our forwards for a RHD I would say we are pretty much ready to start the year. I was hoping that forward would be Miller, and additional assets would come along with him, but I have no clue at this point. They did say they plan to address the blueline via trade, so I would imagine that something will happen between now and training camp.

Kuzmenko0.95Pettersson7.35Boeser6.65
Podkolzin0.9Horvat5.5Garland4.95
Pearson3.25Miller5.25Mikheyev4.75
Hoglander0.89Dickinson2.650.8
OEL7.26Myers6
Hughes7.85Schenn0.8
Dermott1.5Poolman2.5
Rathbone0.850.8
Demko5
Martin0.76
Ferland LTIR0
Holtby1.9
Virtanen0.5
Halak Bonus1.5
Total Cap
81.9125​
Mil
Cap Space
0.5875​
Mil

Bondra slapshot

Jul 21, 2009

They also are one of the teams that have some cap space to work with and might see Miller as the piece that pushes them over the hump, although I doubt that many people see Miller as that type of guy which probably hurts his trade value.

I get that Vincent Trocheck was signed for less than Miller will be looking for but he will also bring less value to the NYR and that was a puzzling choice for them IMO.
If the cap didn't exist then yes, it would've been a puzzling choice. However with the cap, Trochek was the only center that was cost appropriate for what they could literally afford. It's not like the Rangers were an awful team that were in need of an uber upgrade. They got fairly far and impressed a lot of people who thought they greatly overachieved. Trochek is certainly an upgrade over Ryan Strome. It was really a balanced choice in the end with all things considered. Balanced decisions that account for what's affordable and "needed" but not necessarily excessive, can go a long way. Miller is definitely a luxury for the Rangers that wasn't even realistic in any extended scenario. I think people on HF are too quick to ignore cap constraints.

Reactions: Canucker

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Nashville has already given out tos retirement contract to Johansen, Duchene, Josi, Forsberg and Ekholm.

Dont forget McDonagh

Reactions: Scorvat

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Personally, I think Trocheck was probably the perfect guy for the Rangers...Zibanejad is their #1C, Trocheck fills a #2 role at a better cost, long term than Miller...and it didn't cost them any assets.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Do we think management was hoping some of the offseason UFA resigns/ other teams filling their need would force miller back into their arms to accept a reasonable contract resign? I still have my doubts if we turned around and offered him 6 x $8.5M he’d even accept and is hell bent on going back to US.

They apparently think since they renovated the dressing room, intend to bring Horvat back, and generally have a better team next year, that Miller will rethink his position and be more inclined to take a "team friendly" deal in-season.

In effect, they think they're so charming and smart that Miller will be seduced back into their arms mid-season so they don't have to worry about him walking as a UFA. And if that doesn't work, Rutherford keeps saying he'll trade him at the deadline, but we all know if they're remotely in the playoff hunt that isn't going to happen.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I blame Rutherford.

The fact he didn't start blowing shit up come Dec/Jan is ridiculous.

First was "Lets wait till after the Eastern roadtrip". Then he comes back with thinking the team is not as bad as first thought.

It is. It is not good enough.

I understand taking time to build out the FO and selecting a GM but a key time for actual change was then.

They waited too long and by then, it was the old Benning special: "Well we want to give these guys a chance"

That's not looking forward at all nor making any hard decisions.

A f***ing potato could have made the moves they have made so far.

Not at all impressed with anything they have done.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If the cap didn't exist then yes, it would've been a puzzling choice. However with the cap, Trochek was the only center that was cost appropriate for what they could literally afford. It's not like the Rangers were an awful team that were in need of an uber upgrade. They got fairly far and impressed a lot of people who thought they greatly overachieved. Trochek is certainly an upgrade over Ryan Strome. It was really a balanced choice in the end with all things considered. Balanced decisions that account for what's affordable and "needed" but not necessarily excessive, can go a long way. Miller is definitely a luxury for the Rangers that wasn't even realistic in any extended scenario. I think people on HF are too quick to ignore cap constraints.

I agree on the cap restraints, as it it is often overlloked around these parts but the Rangers have the assets to move and make a deal that fits their cap considerations and Miller at 2.2 million more epr year over the same term as Trochek would jsut make their team so much better IMO.

Also they really only got as far as their goalie took them in the playoffs and the Trouba hit on Crosby certainly helped them a lot.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
This is pretty much where were at if we role with what we have right now. The forward group looks pretty stacked, but once again the defense is very underwhelming. If we trade one of our forwards for a RHD I would say we are pretty much ready to start the year. I was hoping that forward would be Miller, and additional assets would come along with him, but I have no clue at this point. They did say they plan to address the blueline via trade, so I would imagine that something will happen between now and training camp.

Kuzmenko0.95Pettersson7.35Boeser6.65
Podkolzin0.9Horvat5.5Garland4.95
Pearson3.25Miller5.25Mikheyev4.75
Hoglander0.89Dickinson2.650.8
OEL7.26Myers6
Hughes7.85Schenn0.8
Dermott1.5Poolman2.5
Rathbone0.850.8
Demko5
Martin0.76
Ferland LTIR0
Holtby1.9
Virtanen0.5
Halak Bonus1.5
Total Cap
81.9125​
Mil
Cap Space
0.5875​
Mil
Missing Lazar I think?

And that right defence is ugly, and we are paying over 9 million for the privilege.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I blame Rutherford.

The fact he didn't start blowing shit up come Dec/Jan is ridiculous.

First was "Lets wait till after the Eastern roadtrip". Then he comes back with thinking the team is not as bad as first thought.

It is. It is not good enough.

I understand taking time to build out the FO and selecting a GM but a key time for actual change was then.

They waited too long and by then, it was the old Benning special: "Well we want to give these guys a chance"

That's not looking forward at all nor making any hard decisions.

A f***ing potato could have made the moves they have made so far.

Not at all impressed with anything they have done.

They also didn't acquire a single draft pick yet.

Unless I missed something?

Well they did get their own 3rd rounder back after bring traded to Vegas for Nate Schmdit then was moved to Ottawa who sent it back to us along with Dermott in the Travis Hamonic trade.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
miller is holding things up imo. he's already decided where he wants to be playing after next season and everyone knows it so his value is basically that of a rental. that's why the rangers never made a credible offer and why there's a lack of interest in him around the league. teams will want to wait until the deadline to see where they are at before they commit to a rental

i think right now the front office is trying to decide between knowingly overpaying miller (in dollars and term) to try to get him to sign an extension and just caving and admitting that he doesn't have nearly the value they (and the fans) expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad