• H: Dallas

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • H: Nashville

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Whoever even considered voting for Ottawa ahead of Carolina, think again.

OEL - Trouba is the most overrated, overpaid pairing of all time. (I drafted that pairing once and I got attacked for it lol)

Now compare that to Slavin - Parayko.

Oh, and he was Rasmus Ristolainen on his team.
as i scrolled i thought to myself "could ottawa win? it looks li-"

and then i saw their defence and vomited eighteen times. i'm in terrible condition from seeing that defence

Reactions: m0pe and Llamamoto

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Definitive proof that Montreal is better than Philly.

Presenting... the advancest of stats:

export.png

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Vegas would comfortably be the hardest team in these playoffs to play against. They will absolutely crush any team physically, be stingy defensively, and I have the elite forwards... plus Big Ben in net

While the voters have yet to see reality:
  • Vegas' 1C has only made it out of the first round once and only to the second round; Chicago's 1C has 2 Cups
  • Seider is quickly becoming the defensive equivalent of Elias Pettersson
EmzKAH-XEAA4dLx

• Chicago has 3 players who are consistently good in the playoffs: Seth Jones, Reilly Smith, and Cam Atkinson
  • While Bishop has been good in the playoffs .924/2.27; he is hardly an advantage over Talbot .923/2.46 and/or Greiss .922/2.43
Here's hoping the voters realize results are more important than rhetoric.

Really enjoying the analysis o_O

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Whoever is voting :sens ahead of :canes, you can still turn back now.

OEL - Trouba gets utterly demolished by Slavin - Parayko. It isn't remotely close.
The same goes for our 2nd pairings. Nurse - Demers >> McNabb - Ristolainen.

Our offense is pretty similar, and Ottawa has the better goaltending. (Raanta is perfectly capable though)

But none of that matters when Ottawa's D is that bad. Hellebuyck's stats would go well below .910 playing behind that D.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Whoever is voting :sens ahead of :canes, you can still turn back now.

OEL - Trouba gets utterly demolished by Slavin - Parayko. It isn't remotely close.
The same goes for our 2nd pairings. Nurse - Demers >> McNabb - Ristolainen.

Our offense is pretty similar, and Ottawa has the better goaltending. (Raanta is perfectly capable though)

But none of that matters when Ottawa's D is that bad. Hellebuyck's stats would go well below .910 playing behind that D.

This ^^^

Reactions: m0pe

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Matchup Overview:
Philly winning, but too close for now
Detroit winning, but too close for now
Ottawa winning, but too close for now
New Jersey leading
Vegas leading
Anaheim leading
St Louis all but moved on
Dallas leading

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Tiebreaker 1: votes from people in the game
Tiebreaker 2: main board

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If Philly (who was a WC2 seed) wins, I think we can say a Metro team should win it all for sure

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Both division leaders in the East are losing to the wild card teams.

Guys please change your votes lol. D is important.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
I'm also really surprised that Detroit's beating Toronto.

Offense is similar, Detroit is a lot better in net, but Toronto's D is miles better.

Lindell - Pietrangelo >> Werenski - Brodie, and I'm not a fan of Lindell.
Chiarot - Dumba >> Cole - Murphy as well.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Both division leaders in the East are losing to the wild card teams.

Guys please change your votes lol. D is important.

I just can't vote Ottawa with that D. Those top-3 D may be my 3 least favourite D in the league.

Appreciation for defense would have Chicago win at least 2 rounds.

I think your D is solid but not spectacular enough to make up the middle-6 forward gap which I think is pretty large.

I really like your team and had Chicago by far 2nd place in Central (only behind my Blues), but Vegas is a tough Round 1 draw.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Matchup C:

:canes
Jonathan Drouin - Mark Scheifele - Brock Boeser
Warren Foegele - Eric Staal - T.J Oshie
Josh Leivo - Erik Haula - Joonas Donskoi
Jordan Martinook - Alex Turcotte - Morgan Geekie

Jaccob Slavin - Colton Parayko
Darnell Nurse - Jason Demers
Nikita Zadorov - Jordan Oesterle

Antti Raanta
Linus Ullmark

vs

:sens

Alexis Lafreniere (0.925)Sidney Crosby (8.700)Josh Anderson (5.500)
Tyler Ennis (1.000)Adam Henrique (5.825)Vladimir Tarasenko (7.500)
Jason Dickinson (1.500)Charlie Coyle (5.250)Jake Virtanen (2.550)
Jujhar Khaira (1.300)Mark Jankowski (0.700)Colton Sceviour
(1.200)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (8.250)Jacob Trouba (8.000)
Brayden McNabb (2.500)Rasmus Ristolainen (5.400)
Juuso Valimaki (0.894)Trevor Van Riemsdyk (0.800)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Connor Hellebuyck (6.166)
Malcom Subban (0.900)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

My breakdown:

A LARGE portion of this matchup comes down to how you feel about Lafreniere next season. I don't think it's unreasonable to say Laf outperforms Boeser next year, and I can definitely see the Ottawa 1st line being stronger.

Next you have Ennis who's like a wash to Foegele, but Staal > Henrique. Unfortunately for Carolina Tarasenko crushes Oshie, but idk how well Henrique can feed Senko (though Henrique is like an O'Reilly lite). I do think you can confidently say Ottawas top 6 > Carolinas though.

Outside of Coyle, Carolinas 3rd line would definitely be strange than Ottawas though, and I think you can say the same for L4 since I believe Turcotte could be a 3C by next season.

The D is where it's interesting. I think there's no disputing Carolinas top pair > Ottawas, and same for D2. BUT Valimaki is the wild card. He could very well be a strong #4 next season, with that said, I think Carolina does take the D overall.

What made me pause is Hellebuyck. Accompanied by Crosby and co up front, is the gap between Hellebuyck (best goalie in the league and most likely to steal a series IMO) and Raanta enough to put Ottawa over top. I personally like OEL and Trouba, though not quite to the degree of Slavin/Parayko, but I do believe OEL/Trouba could be a very strong second pair. I thought long and hard about if Crosby + Hellebuyck could win out, and in a number of scenarios I think they do. Where I felt Ottawa was most lacking was a better playmaking C, or better winger for Tarasenko, OR a stronger #3D. I felt in either case, then yes, Hellebuyck + Crosby alone could get Ottawa through Carolina, but without that you have Slavin/Parayko shutting down Crosby, and Ristolainen/McNabb being a liability with Tarasenko on the second pair. I think Hellebuyck gets this to 6 or 7 games, but that ultimately Carolina was just more rounded and deeper, but that it COULD swing if Lafreniere ends up having a Matthews level 1st season, instead of a Hischier level.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Appreciation for defense would have Chicago win at least 2 rounds.

Your top pairing is amazing, and then you have two very good 3rd pairings imo. Still a solid D-core though.

I think you matchup really well against Vegas. With Hughes, Kapanen, Atkinson, and Grabner, you're probably the fastest team in the entire league. Vegas is a little slow, and I think Chicago would take advantage of that.

Depite that though, the gap in goaltending made the difference for me. If you had taken a goalie a couple of rounds earlier I would have voted you ahead of Vegas.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I'm also really surprised that Detroit's beating Toronto.

Offense is similar, Detroit is a lot better in net, but Toronto's D is miles better.

Lindell - Pietrangelo >> Werenski - Brodie, and I'm not a fan of Lindell.
Chiarot - Dumba >> Cole - Murphy as well.

Yeah. Seems to be the name of the game in this one, defense is not getting any appreciation whatsoever. I don't see the arguments for Detroit over Toronto and Ottawa over Carolina. The D cores are both much better than their counterpart and offenses are comparable. It would be a shame if these two teams were eliminated now.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I just can't vote Ottawa with that D. Those top-3 D may be my 3 least favourite D in the league.

I think your D is solid but not spectacular enough to make up the middle-6 forward gap which I think is pretty large.

I really like your team and had Chicago by far 2nd place in Central (only behind my Blues), but Vegas is a tough Round 1 draw.
I agree, I love Chicago, but I have them in my 2nd tier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad