M. Calvert - O. Sundqvist - B. Coleman
P. Engvall - B. Lizotte - T. Thompson

Z. Werenski - TJ Brodie
I. Cole - C. Murphy
S. Koekkoek - Z. Whitecloud

A. Vasilevskiy
J. Oettinger

L1 = Toronto by a wide margin
L2 = Detroit, I have Larkin as an R1 calibre guy, DeBrincat as a HIGH R4 calibre guy, and believe Kyrou has goes 50 points next year.
L3 = Toronto, but close.
L4 = Close but I Glass' potential

D1 = I have this closer than you may think, I can see Werenski getting serious Norris consideration next year while Pietro starts his decline, but nonetheless I'm taking the proven Pietro. Toronto for me
D2 = Definitely Toronto
D3 = Toronto, even if I like Whitecloud.

G = Vasi... but Oettinger as backup might be iffy

Toronto basically has the edge everywhere outside of L2 and goalie for me, I couldn't justify picking Toronto in any way.

Reactions: BeLeafing

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Regular season stats matter. Bishop is a top 5 goalie.

This too.

It's nice and all Talbot has a good playoff record in ~20 appearances...but it is 20 appearances while Bishop has been a starter who is relied upon much more consistently.

Reactions: hockeynorth

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
@BeLeafing the thrust of the argument for Detroit is that they have two fantastic centres and Vasilevski with a bunch of other factors being a wash

Are they a wash though? Gaudreau and Pacioretty are undoubtedly the two best wingers in the matchup, and Detroit has Kyrou on their second line. So if you subscribe to the theory that only centermen matter in possession and controlling play, then.. sure?

The only areas I see that are advantage Detroit are 2C and goalie.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Full disclaimer, I picked Philly over Montreal. @ConnorMcMullet is up in my PMs about it so here are my reasons (I am tempted to switch):

- Philly PP will be VERY hard for Montreal to contain
- I don't like Josh Manson, I think he's overrated
- I'm VERY high on Dvorak

Reactions: Panda Bear

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think Philly loses to a Carolina/Vegas/Chicago/without a doubt St Louis/Columbus, teams with stronger defensive players with histories of PKing or being more sound defensively, but Montreal is a very very nice draw for Philly in a matchup sense

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If you have Lafreniere reasonably outperforming a player like Boeser, then similar logic has Seider outperforming most 2nd pairing D-men.
You realize Seider likely isn't in the NHL next year right? Like he MIGHT get a cup of tea.

If we play that logic, than you can assume Boqvist takes the next step up and is a top pair D, meaning I have all of Ekholm/Petry/Pelech/Boqvist who could play on a top pair. Plus Schultz ripping points from pair 3.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah. Seems to be the name of the game in this one, defense is not getting any appreciation whatsoever. I don't see the arguments for Detroit over Toronto and Ottawa over Carolina. The D cores are both much better than their counterpart and offenses are comparable. It would be a shame if these two teams were eliminated now.
...and Philly over Montreal? :naughty:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Wait who voted for Ottawa ahead of Carolina?

Everyone in this thread seems to prefer Carolina lol.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
FYI I also had Philly 6th in the Metro...

It literally comes down to matchup for that team. I also think Toronto is better built for playoff hockey than Montreal but that is close, and I picked MTL over Toronto because of Chychrun and thats literally it in the regular season.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Are they a wash though? Gaudreau and Pacioretty are undoubtedly the two best wingers in the matchup, and Detroit has Kyrou on their second line. So if you subscribe to the theory that only centermen matter in possession and controlling play, then.. sure?

The only areas I see that are advantage Detroit are 2C and goalie.
Playoffs 2021, right? Kyrou improves after another season, DeBrincat very likely rebounds, and neither Lee or Eberle are old enough to cliff.

Bergeron continues to age, and while he will continue to be excellent, Zibanejad is hitting higher levels in his prime now.

Meanwhile, Gaudreau has a horrible playoff track record that's a huge turnoff to a bunch of voters. The gap isn't as clear as you think.

Your bottom sixes are a wash. You may have some more potential in it with Glass, but Detroit has the wonder that is Blake Coleman.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Playoffs 2021, right? Kyrou improves after another season, DeBrincat very likely rebounds, and neither Lee or Eberle are old enough to cliff.

Bergeron continues to age, and while he will continue to be excellent, Zibanejad is hitting higher levels in his prime now.

Meanwhile, Gaudreau has a horrible playoff track record that's a huge turnoff to a bunch of voters. The gap isn't as clear as you think.
Bergeron getting old

Larkin with growth becomes DET 1C by playoffs

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017

Okay so if we are assuming everything goes right for Detroit and everything goes wrong for Toronto then sure, lol

I can do that too. Glass takes the next step and takes over the 2C role with Patches, demotes Trocheck to 3C duty where he beats up on lesser competition. Dumba bounces back to his 17-19 self and in easier competition hits another level.

Gaudreau paired with two proven playoff performers elevates his game. Bergeron and Saad are excellent fits to utilize his skillset and get the puck on his stick often.

But realistically.. It's better practice to use what we know. And Detroit would struggle with the overall balance and defensive game that Toronto could put on in the playoffs.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Also, Pietrangelo probably won't start showing his age until he's 33/34, and he'll be able to play at a pretty high level until 37/38 I wager.

He's a damn smart player who has never relied on athleticism.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Okay so if we are assuming everything goes right for Detroit and everything goes wrong for Toronto then sure, lol

I can do that too. Glass takes the next step and takes over the 2C role with Patches, demotes Trocheck to 3C duty where he beats up on lesser competition. Dumba bounces back to his 17-19 self and in easier competition hits another level.

Gaudreau paired with two proven playoff performers elevates his game. Bergeron and Saad are excellent fits to utilize his skillset and get the puck on his stick often.

But realistically.. It's better practice to use what we know. And Detroit would struggle with the overall balance and defensive game that Toronto could put on in the playoffs.
"everything goes right for Detroit" = one young player continues improving, while other young player plays at a level between his prorated 50P season and his 76P season before

lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad