Fantasy Baseball Thread V

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Musgrove (17) + Boegarts (22)
for
Acuna (24) + Fried (3)

Nobody is an amazing keeper at those prices, but I'd be getting the Musgrove/Boegarts side of it. Gives me a much better SS while Seager is hurt, and a solid-to-good SPARP in Musgrove. I'm a little gun shy about offering up Acuna, but he's only been so so for a lot of the year, and with that price tag, maybe I'm really underselling my opponent.

However, he has just one win, and not a lot of keepers, so my thinking is maybe he'd find Acuna more appealing for potential, and Fried sweetens the pot mildly if he can put things together a little bit.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Musgrove (17) + Boegarts (22)
for
Acuna (24) + Fried (3)

Nobody is an amazing keeper at those prices, but I'd be getting the Musgrove/Boegarts side of it. Gives me a much better SS while Seager is hurt, and a solid-to-good SPARP in Musgrove. I'm a little gun shy about offering up Acuna, but he's only been so so for a lot of the year, and with that price tag, maybe I'm really underselling my opponent.

However, he has just one win, and not a lot of keepers, so my thinking is maybe he'd find Acuna more appealing for potential, and Fried sweetens the pot mildly if he can put things together a little bit.

Where are you in the standings?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Where are you in the standings?

I'm in 7th, and 6 teams make the playoffs. That's a little misleading, though -- not even being homeristic, but I've lost twice on just bullshit stupidity on my part, and most of the games have been very close. There's a ton of parity in this league. There's one team below me that's 7-8, another tied with me for 7th, and then two teams right above us at 9-6, and two more teams at 10-5.

I'm pretty confident based on the remaining schedule that I'll be able to make the playoffs, so I'm just trying to max out my roster as best as I can. This would give me a huge upgrade at SS, and a pretty good upgrade in 1/5 of my RP slots.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm in 7th, and 6 teams make the playoffs. That's a little misleading, though -- not even being homeristic, but I've lost twice on just bull**** stupidity on my part, and most of the games have been very close. There's a ton of parity in this league. There's one team below me that's 7-8, another tied with me for 7th, and then two teams right above us at 9-6, and two more teams at 10-5.

I'm pretty confident based on the remaining schedule that I'll be able to make the playoffs, so I'm just trying to max out my roster as best as I can. This would give me a huge upgrade at SS, and a pretty good upgrade in 1/5 of my RP slots.

If you don't think you'd keep Acuna at that price, then go for it.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Thanks, that's basically what I'm vacillating over. I already have Hoskins and Benintendi at great discounts, so on the one hand I think I can afford to spend a little extra for Acuna, but on the other hand, it's easy enough to get solid production out there in the draft. It'd be an easier call if Acuna had put up great numbers for 3-4 weeks instead of good/solid ones.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'm not a fan of Lopez at all. I'd replace him with Newcomb (even though he hasn't been good lately) and Brantley. What happens if you don't keep the max?

Lopez does have a tendency to be more hot/cold than others. He'll appear to be unhittible on batch of games, then be walking/throwin softballs for another couple.

I'm not sure what happens if someone is short of a keeper. Has never happened as far as I know. Which makes sense. If you pick up a player in free agency mid season and he's an above average performer, he only costs a last round pick to keep. As for what the result is if it does happen, I would assume that you simply don't lose a draft pick for a keeper.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
In a last ditch effort to get a hitter, I dealt Keuchel for Hoskins in a roto.
Injuries are popping up like crazy. Cespedes, Turner, Mazara. Adding to that, Jose Martinez is sputtering defensively (not sure how he does so playing 1B) so isn't getting starts.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
In a last ditch effort to get a hitter, I dealt Keuchel for Hoskins in a roto.
Injuries are popping up like crazy. Cespedes, Turner, Mazara. Adding to that, Jose Martinez is sputtering defensively (not sure how he does so playing 1B) so isn't getting starts.

I'm not a Keuchel fan. I think Hoskins is in for a huge second half.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Odubel Herrera was a huge addition at the beginning week of the season off waivers

Just traded for Jorge Polanco. Gray pitched a good game last night. But I'm starting to feel the wave of DL10+, hurts.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Just getting a gauge on what I should do keeper wise for next season. I’m allowed to keep 5 keepers with the price to keep a player being the pick the round earlier than he was picked this year. If that makes any sense. If you pick a player up off of FA it costs the latest pick you have to keep him. Ill put the pick that I would have to give up beside the player.

H2H league, 10 teams
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP
W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9, SV+H

C- Molina (13)
1b- Bellinger (21)
2b- Kingery (18)
3b- Andujar (22)
SS- Boegarts (4)
OF- Trout (1,2)
OF- Betts (1)
OF- Benintendi (10)
UTIL- Shaw (20)
UTIL- Thames (22)
BN- Mazara (15)
BN- Calhoun (22)
DL- Dickerson (22)

SP- Greinke (8)
SP- C. Martinez (3)
SP- Weaver (9)
SP- Taillon (11)
SP- Hill (22)
RP- Chapman (6)
RP- Familia (16)
RP- Herrera (17)
BN- Matz (22)
BN- Buehler (22)
DL- Strasburg (2)

As of right now my projected keepers are:
Bellinger, 1b, OF (21), Andujar, 3b (22), Betts, OF (1), Benintendi, OF (10), Shaw, 3B (20)

A couple of things.

1) I’m keeping Mookie because he’s easily a first round player, and I (should) be picking late first round barring a disaster to end the season.

2) I wanted to keep a pitcher but my offensive guys are just too strong and cost so little to keep that it doesn’t make sense to not keep all of those guys to me.

3) Corey Seager is currently a FA. If I were to pick him up he’d cost me the latest pick available to keep. My problems are that I don’t know if it’s worth the risk for when he comes back (will he still be an unreal player?), when will he be back next year (and is he worth stashing on 1/2 DL spots for this year and to start next), and who would he supplant off of my current keeper list? All indications would point to Shaw as I have Andujar at 3b already for cheap.

Thoughts would be appreciated especially on #3

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just getting a gauge on what I should do keeper wise for next season. I’m allowed to keep 5 keepers with the price to keep a player being the pick the round earlier than he was picked this year. If that makes any sense. If you pick a player up off of FA it costs the latest pick you have to keep him. Ill put the pick that I would have to give up beside the player.

H2H league, 10 teams
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP
W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9, SV+H

C- Molina (13)
1b- Bellinger (21)
2b- Kingery (18)
3b- Andujar (22)
SS- Boegarts (4)
OF- Trout (1,2)
OF- Betts (1)
OF- Benintendi (10)
UTIL- Shaw (20)
UTIL- Thames (22)
BN- Mazara (15)
BN- Calhoun (22)
DL- Dickerson (22)

SP- Greinke (8)
SP- C. Martinez (3)
SP- Weaver (9)
SP- Taillon (11)
SP- Hill (22)
RP- Chapman (6)
RP- Familia (16)
RP- Herrera (17)
BN- Matz (22)
BN- Buehler (22)
DL- Strasburg (2)

As of right now my projected keepers are:
Bellinger, 1b, OF (21), Andujar, 3b (22), Betts, OF (1), Benintendi, OF (10), Shaw, 3B (20)

A couple of things.

1) I’m keeping Mookie because he’s easily a first round player, and I (should) be picking late first round barring a disaster to end the season.

2) I wanted to keep a pitcher but my offensive guys are just too strong and cost so little to keep that it doesn’t make sense to not keep all of those guys to me.

3) Corey Seager is currently a FA. If I were to pick him up he’d cost me the latest pick available to keep. My problems are that I don’t know if it’s worth the risk for when he comes back (will he still be an unreal player?), when will he be back next year (and is he worth stashing on 1/2 DL spots for this year and to start next), and who would he supplant off of my current keeper list? All indications would point to Shaw as I have Andujar at 3b already for cheap.

Thoughts would be appreciated especially on #3

Get Seager. Now.

I'd probably cut Calhoun.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Get Seager. Now.

I'd probably cut Calhoun.

So my keepers going into next year would be Betts(1), Benintendi(10), Andujar(20), Bellinger(21), Seager(22)

What do you think about

Giving up: 4th round pick, Travis Shaw(21), Buehler(22)

Receiving: Kershaw(1,2) + Freeman(1)

I feel like I probably could give up more but this guy is in last place and won’t be able to keep Kershaw or Freeman next year unless he wants to have a terrible team again (they’re just rentals for me). My rational is that I’m giving him a high pick and two guys he can keep for next year for relatively nothing. I’m just trying to gauge if It would be disrespectful to send him that trade offer.

I currently sent an offer of: 4th round pick + one of Mazara/Dickerson for Kershaw. The guy is trying to shop Kershaw and Freeman so I want to try to get in on both.

I’m always overvaluing my guys/get married to them and never make trades/moves in general so I’m just not sure what the values of these guys are really worth

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
So my keepers going into next year would be Betts(1), Benintendi(10), Andujar(20), Bellinger(21), Seager(22)

What do you think about

Giving up: 4th round pick, Travis Shaw(21), Buehler(22)

Receiving: Kershaw(1,2) + Freeman(1)

I feel like I probably could give up more but this guy is in last place and won’t be able to keep Kershaw or Freeman next year unless he wants to have a terrible team again (they’re just rentals for me). My rational is that I’m giving him a high pick and two guys he can keep for next year for relatively nothing. I’m just trying to gauge if It would be disrespectful to send him that trade offer.

I currently sent an offer of: 4th round pick + one of Mazara/Dickerson for Kershaw. The guy is trying to shop Kershaw and Freeman so I want to try to get in on both.

I’m always overvaluing my guys/get married to them and never make trades/moves in general so I’m just not sure what the values of these guys are really worth

If you could get that done, go for it. I highly doubt that the other person goes for it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Cueto was cut loose in my 12 team NL-Only Dynasty, 40 man rosters, with no fanfare (granted, with a slightly hefty salary). I would imagine that since he is still on the wire in this format, most other formats he should be safe to cut.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think I'd just cut Cueto. Whenever he returns, it's going to be more like a potential serious comeback that might not really be fantasy relevant, I think.

I finally managed to trade Keuchel in that league where I've been repeatedly posting variations of the same idea to trade him. I acquired Archer for him straight up. Archer is $26 next year while Keuchel is only $16, and that's slightly steep for Archer potentially, but of course the Pirates homer is banking for his numbers to go back up. Pitching is also at an extreme premium in my league, and strikeouts are massively important. The only thing that could sting me slightly (which I think will be a key to him in real life, too) is whether the HRs go down, but PNC Park should help with that.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think I'd just cut Cueto. Whenever he returns, it's going to be more like a potential serious comeback that might not really be fantasy relevant, I think.

I finally managed to trade Keuchel in that league where I've been repeatedly posting variations of the same idea to trade him. I acquired Archer for him straight up. Archer is $26 next year while Keuchel is only $16, and that's slightly steep for Archer potentially, but of course the Pirates homer is banking for his numbers to go back up. Pitching is also at an extreme premium in my league, and strikeouts are massively important. The only thing that could sting me slightly (which I think will be a key to him in real life, too) is whether the HRs go down, but PNC Park should help with that.

Being in the NL should help as well.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I think he will generally tick up. It's one of those things in my league where actually getting through innings can be nice, but being a big strikeout pitcher is even more important. Obviously, he didn't have the prettiest start tonight, but I didn't complete the trade until after the lineups were set for the day and in any case I am playing the worst team this week.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Any guys that have hype who could be September call ups who aren't in the Yahoo database, ala Trea Turner a few years ago?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad