Fantasy Baseball Thread V

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Traded Josh Bell for Juan Soto and Kuechel. Hopefully Dallas bounces back soon.

Josh Bell had trade value? Nice job.

So, I ended up traded Ramirez for Kluber, Moncada, and Kela. Happy with that haul but feeling I might need to upgrade my offense after losing Jose and also Jon Jay to the NL.

What do you guys think of my Heaney for his Aaron Hicks? Both are good keepers -- Hicks $7 next year, Heaney $5 next year.

I like Heaney, so I don't think I'd do it. I'd look for someone better.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
FWIW I don't think Polanco will see the bench for any extended amount of time. The outfield rotation Hurdle is using hurts his fantasy value, but the Pirates have too much tied up in him in the future not to keep giving him looks. Also, I think that his struggles are somewhat overblown. He had a really great early two weeks of May, and a good chunk of the rest of his season has been plagued by horrible BABIP luck. Part of his issue is that selling out for an upper cut swing has really hurt him. He's popped up tons of times. He has made some adjustments recently and it looks like things are falling more for him, but I still don't know if he'll have a ton of fantasy value. In a deeper league, I think he's worth a flier still.

I'm basically here to be talked out of doing something dumb again. Would this be too hasty>

My Keuchel (15 next year), Bell, Corey Seager (11 next year)
For Bogarts, Musgrove, Buehler (2 next year), Wheeler (7 next year)

I put the possible keeper values in parenthesis, but basically the deal comes down to whether it's stupid to sell on Seager for what amounts to some gambles and Buehler. Bogarts gives me some relief at SS and is probably too expensive at 17 to keep (I currently have Swanson), and pitching is so thin that adding those three gives me a solid boost, even if none is spectacular.

A lot of the deal comes down to me basically wanting Musgrove over Keuchel, but not really feeling confident enough to pose a one for one trade. I am also coveting Bogarts as a stopgap, which would firm up my biggest weakness on offense. Bell's basically a toss in who I am about to drop anyways when I activate Acuna (maybe tomorrow, but maybe trying to stretch the decision a bit to squeeze more pitcher starts this week). The big issue is that his team doesn't have a ton of attractive assets, and he may just regard somebody like Buehler as untouchable. But an expensive Musgrove (16) and Boegarts probably aren't keepers for him, so maybe Seager helps get it done. I think he's probably sick of my proposals involving basically Keuchel and spare change for Musgrove and Boegarts.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
FWIW I don't think Polanco will see the bench for any extended amount of time. The outfield rotation Hurdle is using hurts his fantasy value, but the Pirates have too much tied up in him in the future not to keep giving him looks. Also, I think that his struggles are somewhat overblown. He had a really great early two weeks of May, and a good chunk of the rest of his season has been plagued by horrible BABIP luck. Part of his issue is that selling out for an upper cut swing has really hurt him. He's popped up tons of times. He has made some adjustments recently and it looks like things are falling more for him, but I still don't know if he'll have a ton of fantasy value. In a deeper league, I think he's worth a flier still.

I'm basically here to be talked out of doing something dumb again. Would this be too hasty>

My Keuchel (15 next year), Bell, Corey Seager (11 next year)
For Bogarts, Musgrove, Buehler (2 next year), Wheeler (7 next year)

I put the possible keeper values in parenthesis, but basically the deal comes down to whether it's stupid to sell on Seager for what amounts to some gambles and Buehler. Bogarts gives me some relief at SS and is probably too expensive at 17 to keep (I currently have Swanson), and pitching is so thin that adding those three gives me a solid boost, even if none is spectacular.

A lot of the deal comes down to me basically wanting Musgrove over Keuchel, but not really feeling confident enough to pose a one for one trade. I am also coveting Bogarts as a stopgap, which would firm up my biggest weakness on offense. Bell's basically a toss in who I am about to drop anyways when I activate Acuna (maybe tomorrow, but maybe trying to stretch the decision a bit to squeeze more pitcher starts this week). The big issue is that his team doesn't have a ton of attractive assets, and he may just regard somebody like Buehler as untouchable. But an expensive Musgrove (16) and Boegarts probably aren't keepers for him, so maybe Seager helps get it done. I think he's probably sick of my proposals involving basically Keuchel and spare change for Musgrove and Boegarts.

I still think that you'd be crazy to trade Seager at $11.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
You are probably right - I am just being short sighted because I think I have an ok shot at winning this year. Do you think the deal becomes any different if I swap Acuna ($24 next year) in for Seager?

I haven't really been entertaining the idea of moving Acuna because I paid a relative premium for him in the draft this year, although he still might be a good deal at that cost anyways. This would leave me with a core of Goldy (37), Seager (11), Benintendi (9), Hoskins (10), Taillon (8), Carrasco (19), Buehler (2), and perhaps Clevinger (11), Castellanos (18), and Merrifield (5) as my keepers.

I guess the question is really how good Acuna will be. Hoskins has struggled somewhat, but I tend to assume Bentintendi and he are better options until Acuna proves otherwise, especially at a discount. But maybe I'm still just being foolish, and I should keep riding waiver acquisitions and think partially about next year.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, the OF spots are LF, CF, and RF. Benintendi is actually eligible at CF, and so the harder one for me tends to be RF (currently hanging onto Polanco, hence my homeristic defense of him above).

$24 is a little steep, but not the end of the world. The tricky thing will be balancing it with Goldschmidt. Our salaries go exponentially up (basically add a dollar for every year, so someone who starts at 10 is 11 year 2, 13 year 3, 16, 20, 25 etc), and I think there will be some decent talent in next year's draft, so I may want to free cash up and even potentially just take the risk on re-buying Goldschmidt in the auction, depending on how 1B shakes out.

It's a tough call. It might come down to how much I should like Acuna vs Buehler. Obviously, the price tags vastly favor Buehler, which means my opponent might not even be interested in dealing him. I think he's somewhat annoyed with me even offering him this Keuchel + package, because while Keuchel is moderately useful at that price, it's not like he's very good. The thing is, his team is pretty bad and all these guys except Buehler are probably not keepers. So maybe caving and giving up some of my OF depth is an ok option, but at the end of the day, it's difficult to find a decent match with such an uncompetitive team, especially with my strategy of trying to do what I can to improve now while still building for when I'll have Seager back.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I deserve to be banned for life from fantasy baseball. Admittedly, I'm having a crazy week, but I managed to leave Morton out of my lineup this week, and tonight had Dylan Covey in my lineup. Morton scored 60 points, and Covey -60 points. That's enough of a swing that I'm almost definitely going to lose, and I would probably have a really tough matchup against the #2 team locked up if I just was playing my normal lineup.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I deserve to be banned for life from fantasy baseball. Admittedly, I'm having a crazy week, but I managed to leave Morton out of my lineup this week, and tonight had Dylan Covey in my lineup. Morton scored 60 points, and Covey -60 points. That's enough of a swing that I'm almost definitely going to lose, and I would probably have a really tough matchup against the #2 team locked up if I just was playing my normal lineup.

Did you forget to check? Yuck.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I have no idea what happened, I checked that day, but it must have been after an early game started, or I just didn't see Morton was lined up to start. I'm in the middle of a bunch of writing, so it's been a struggle to stay on top of other things lately.

I'm kinda hoping my players bomb this weekend just so I don't lose a second match this year in that league because of my own stupidity. I have around 7 pitcher starts left to his 3, but I'm trailing by 200 points or so due to these errors (meaningless to ballpark, but I'd say solid point total for the week is 900+).

I also missed out on getting Kingham in today's waiver wire because I assumed the rest of the league would still be sleeping on him. This is the league where pitching is stretched impossibly thin (hence why I was rostering Covey).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Zero chance. My team is crap.

5-8, not the worst bud. If I was you I'd drop Betances for a starter. Much more valuable in a points league.

Seems like there's a concentration of teams in that middle ground. 4 outa 12 teams are either 5-8 or 6-7.

@rangerssharks414 this is your division bud. Woof. 10-3. I was hoping I could take a shot at that first week playoff bye but doesn't look like it can happen.

I've managed to find some gems, but Odor needs to wake the *bleep* up.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
@rangerssharks414 this is your division bud. Woof. 10-3. I was hoping I could take a shot at that first week playoff bye but doesn't look like it can happen.

I've managed to find some gems, but Odor needs to wake the *bleep* up.

I think I had 10 guys on the DL as of the other day. :laugh:

Just my two cents, I think relievers should get more points for saves next year. Closers are basically useless.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Oh, get this.

Someone offered me this before in a dynasty...

I get: Eric Hosmer, Buster Posey, Michael Brantley and Matt Kemp
I give: Cody Bellinger, Sean Newcomb and Carlos Carrasco

I might be giving up the three best players. Why do people offer **** like that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->