Fantasy Baseball Thread V

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Suarez or Strasburg in a dynasty? I feel crazy for even asking.

Strasburg for me. I'm a sucker for elite pitchers.
Paying respect to Suarez though, I feel there's been considerably more fantasy 'fallers' than 'risers' at the position he plays. Last year he wasn't flashy, he just got the job done. This year balls are finding holes, he's walking a little bit less, but he's also striking out a bit less. .970 ops wow.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Talking roto strategy here for a moment, I've always been one who goes for 2 or 3 top tier pitchers, then go the ace reliever route. You stack 2 of em together and that's a pretty hefty addition to help your era/whip. We're deep into the season though and I'm trailing on wins and losses. The guys i have are either getting injured, or they're simply not getting it done. So do I drop guys like Hader/Betances in the hopes of picking up a win? Or stick with the usual routine and maintain the low era/whip?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Talking roto strategy here for a moment, I've always been one who goes for 2 or 3 top tier pitchers, then go the ace reliever route. You stack 2 of em together and that's a pretty hefty addition to help your era/whip. We're deep into the season though and I'm trailing on wins and losses. The guys i have are either getting injured, or they're simply not getting it done. So do I drop guys like Hader/Betances in the hopes of picking up a win? Or stick with the usual routine and maintain the low era/whip?

If you are trailing in losses, wouldn't it be better to have relievers because they're less likely to lose? I've never played in a roto that counts losses.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If you are trailing in losses, wouldn't it be better to have relievers because they're less likely to lose? I've never played in a roto that counts losses.

What's funny, or in reality more aggravating heh, is that I have a better score with W than I do L.
Risk/reward when it comes to either of the options I'm thinking about.
I did pick up Eovaldi recently. Was always a big fan of his. Should pump out some Wins as long as the guy can stay healthy for once.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Get Seager. Now.

I'd probably cut Calhoun.

This. Tommy John doesn't have the same effect on non-pitchers. Even on pitchers it's pretty successful. Pick up Seager without question.

Would you still pick him up considering the scope on his hip? “Supposed” to be ready for training camp next year but baseball people I follow on Twitter make it seem like this is devastating news

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Would you still pick him up considering the scope on his hip? “Supposed” to be ready for training camp next year but baseball people I follow on Twitter make it seem like this is devastating news
Never heard that until now. That definitely changes things a bit. I still probably would but that's more of a risk than TJ

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I still would.

Sorry, but I'm not looking through the entire Yahoo player pool.
Well, obviously not but sometimes people know of top end guys being added. For example, I knew well in advance about Trea Turner being added a few years ago and had my number 1 waiver reserved for him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Alex Verdugo, Francisco Mejia, Franklin Barreto, Jesus Lazardo, Eloy Jimenez, Kyle Wright just to mention few.

Haven't watched much baseball in the past couple weeks so couple of these guys may already be up.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Never mind @King Mapes just saw 'not in database' comment.

Yahoo does a pretty good job adding them real quick. For instance they've already added Joey Bart.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Man I like the list you posted though, some very nice prospects. Luzardo could be a big star imo.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Thinking about making another play for Musgrove as a SPARP in my H2H points league, but my main trading chip is probably Acuna, who is heating up now. However, I'm wondering if involving Acuna in a deal would be enough for him to move Buehler as well, who would be a great keeper next year at $2. Acuna is $24 and Musgrove is $17, neither of which is ideal. Thinking of proposing this:

Bieber ($2) and Acuna for Musgrove and Buehler

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thinking about making another play for Musgrove as a SPARP in my H2H points league, but my main trading chip is probably Acuna, who is heating up now. However, I'm wondering if involving Acuna in a deal would be enough for him to move Buehler as well, who would be a great keeper next year at $2. Acuna is $24 and Musgrove is $17, neither of which is ideal. Thinking of proposing this:

Bieber ($2) and Acuna for Musgrove and Buehler

Acuna might be a keeper at $24 if he keeps playing well.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I ended up doing a huge blockbuster:

Buehler (2), Musgrove (17), Boegarts (18), and Nelson (3); with 10 draft and 5 waiver dollars
for
C. Seager (11), Merrifield (5), Aguilar (2), and Fried (3)

I hate giving up both Seager and Merrifield, but getting Buehler for so cheap in a pitcher scarce league, and getting the cash as a sweetener, was enough to push me over the edge and I just took the risk. This gives me a huge short term burst because I have a good SS instead of a stopgap (Camargo). In the end I started feeling the same way about Acuna, and he wasn't interested in having him in the deal. Moving Aguilar was probably stupid, but I doubt I would have kept him and was shifting towards trying to max out the pitchers and have no position players on the bench (so the only other options to deal were Hoskins, Benintendi, Cain, Castellanos, and Acuna, and I chose to just roll with the better hitters/keepers).

Seager's hip worries me. I think he'll probably be just fine, but I don't know if he's still at the level of definitive building block, and I've managed to put up a pretty strong season without him.

The biggest question for me in terms of the offseason is whether I'll keep Boegarts at that price. With the way people hoard SS as keeper, I might have a decent shot to just rebuy him in the draft, or take my chances trying to get somebody younger like Tatis (the guy who I traded Seager to is currently rostering him, and is in total fullscale rebuild, so maybe he'll keep).

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I ended up doing a huge blockbuster:

Buehler (2), Musgrove (17), Boegarts (18), and Nelson (3); with 10 draft and 5 waiver dollars
for
C. Seager (11), Merrifield (5), Aguilar (2), and Fried (3)

I hate giving up both Seager and Merrifield, but getting Buehler for so cheap in a pitcher scarce league, and getting the cash as a sweetener, was enough to push me over the edge and I just took the risk. This gives me a huge short term burst because I have a good SS instead of a stopgap (Camargo). In the end I started feeling the same way about Acuna, and he wasn't interested in having him in the deal. Moving Aguilar was probably stupid, but I doubt I would have kept him and was shifting towards trying to max out the pitchers and have no position players on the bench (so the only other options to deal were Hoskins, Benintendi, Cain, Castellanos, and Acuna, and I chose to just roll with the better hitters/keepers).

Seager's hip worries me. I think he'll probably be just fine, but I don't know if he's still at the level of definitive building block, and I've managed to put up a pretty strong season without him.

The biggest question for me in terms of the offseason is whether I'll keep Boegarts at that price. With the way people hoard SS as keeper, I might have a decent shot to just rebuy him in the draft, or take my chances trying to get somebody younger like Tatis (the guy who I traded Seager to is currently rostering him, and is in total fullscale rebuild, so maybe he'll keep).

That seems like a real sell low on Seager.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
@darko what happened to our teams this week? We both lost.

@TootooTrain I won again for yours. I can't wait to choke in the playoffs. :sarcasm:

Edit: Oddly enough, the only one of my leagues that I lost my matchup was in my league. I went 10-1 in my H2H matchups this week (yes, I have a problem).

Also, the H2H dynasty team that I share with someone is now in first after finishing in last in 2017. Our best starting pitcher has been Jameson Taillon. The strategy of tanking wins and strikeouts while going for saves, ERA and WHIP is working!

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
@darko what happened to our teams this week? We both lost.

@TootooTrain I won again for yours. I can't wait to choke in the playoffs. :sarcasm:

Edit: Oddly enough, the only one of my leagues that I lost my matchup was in my league. I went 10-1 in my H2H matchups this week (yes, I have a problem).

Also, the H2H dynasty team that I share with someone is now in first after finishing in last in 2017. Our best starting pitcher has been Jameson Taillon. The strategy of tanking wins and strikeouts while going for saves, ERA and WHIP is working!

Got way too many on DL. At least Correa is back. Need Sanchez, Bryant and co back.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
That seems like a real sell low on Seager.

I do have some regret about it, but I'm pretty worried that Seager will never return quite to the same form that he was at. It's an even bigger gamble because he was even better in points leagues, which mine was, but at the end of the day, I'm extremely high on Buehler who I think is the best value in the deal. I just hope X and Musgrove can help push me over the edge to a victory... sealing this trade helped me win a must-win matchup that pretty much locks me into a playoff spot.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Who would you drop in order? None are keepers
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP

Willie Calhoun(OF), Thames(1B, OF), Dickerson (OF)

All will eventually be dropped if my team gets healthy but that’s in order of who I’d drop first. Thoughts?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Who would you pick up between Adames, DeJong, and Aldaberto Mondesi? H2H points league.

Leaning towards Adames based on pedigree, but DeJong seems to have really turned a corner, and Mondesi seems like an interesting contributor because of his speed. Need one of them for 2B, and it's a nice bonus that they are all SS eligible too, since if any become really good, they could be a dirt cheap keeper. Adames seems like the best all around, but maybe DeJong will be a little more consistent down the stretch, and Mondesi is a wild card who I don't know a ton about.

I have Adam Frazier currently, who was tearing things up and has hit like a batting champion before for weeks at a time, but Hurdle seems determined not to even get him in the lineup (he sat yesterday despite having the DH as an option).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->