Fantasy Baseball Thread V

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Who would you pick up between Adames, DeJong, and Aldaberto Mondesi? H2H points league.

Leaning towards Adames based on pedigree, but DeJong seems to have really turned a corner, and Mondesi seems like an interesting contributor because of his speed. Need one of them for 2B, and it's a nice bonus that they are all SS eligible too, since if any become really good, they could be a dirt cheap keeper. Adames seems like the best all around, but maybe DeJong will be a little more consistent down the stretch, and Mondesi is a wild card who I don't know a ton about.

I have Adam Frazier currently, who was tearing things up and has hit like a batting champion before for weeks at a time, but Hurdle seems determined not to even get him in the lineup (he sat yesterday despite having the DH as an option).

Tough call. Mondesi could be a post hype guy, but I think he's only 22. DeJong has an out of nowhere season last year. Adames is still really young as well, but he's been better lately.

I'd go with DeJong, especially if you're trying to win now.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Who would you pick up between Adames, DeJong, and Aldaberto Mondesi? H2H points league.

Leaning towards Adames based on pedigree, but DeJong seems to have really turned a corner, and Mondesi seems like an interesting contributor because of his speed. Need one of them for 2B, and it's a nice bonus that they are all SS eligible too, since if any become really good, they could be a dirt cheap keeper. Adames seems like the best all around, but maybe DeJong will be a little more consistent down the stretch, and Mondesi is a wild card who I don't know a ton about.

I have Adam Frazier currently, who was tearing things up and has hit like a batting champion before for weeks at a time, but Hurdle seems determined not to even get him in the lineup (he sat yesterday despite having the DH as an option).

Adames.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Thanks guys. In the end I just had a $1 bid on Adames, and it went through, so I'll see how he does and probably keep an eye on DeJong, who I'm somewhat surprised no other contender has tried to get yet. I guess my half-measuredness sort of came through, because I think DeJong is probably the better gamble for this season, but I wanted to grab Adames because I could see myself just saying f*** it and keeping him for $2 next year, and then rebidding on my recently bought Boegarts in the draft, or something like that.

But, Adames looks like he's in a good place, and so maybe he'll just have a nice finish to the season. I'm sure he'll have ample playing time, so I hope he just stays hot.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have to add Adalberto Mondesi to my roster in the next week. It is a 12 team dynasty with the standard categories plus OBP, SLG, QS and HLD. I need a cut, or I could let him go for nothing.

C- Grandal
1B- Rizzo
2B- Dozier
3B- Bregman
SS- Simmons
IF- Moustakas
OF- Betts
OF- Marte
OF- Polanco
OF- Upton
Util- Bogaerts
Util- Bellinger

SP- Carrasco
SP- T. Anderson
SP- Guerra
RP- Vazquez
RP- Romo
RP- Bradley
P- Rodon
P- Snell
P- Buchholz
P- J. Gray

BN- Conforto
BN- Velasquez
BN- Newcomb
BN- Morton
BN- Gibson
BN- Ryu

DL- K. Herrera
DL- Darvish
DL- Stripling

Thanks!

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
If you're in a deep league where prospects matter, Luzardo, Kyle Wright and Justus Sheffield are some guys to target that might not be owned. Sheffield is getting called up soon.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I have to add Adalberto Mondesi to my roster in the next week. It is a 12 team dynasty with the standard categories plus OBP, SLG, QS and HLD. I need a cut, or I could let him go for nothing.

C- Grandal
1B- Rizzo
2B- Dozier
3B- Bregman
SS- Simmons
IF- Moustakas
OF- Betts
OF- Marte
OF- Polanco
OF- Upton
Util- Bogaerts
Util- Bellinger

SP- Carrasco
SP- T. Anderson
SP- Guerra
RP- Vazquez
RP- Romo
RP- Bradley
P- Rodon
P- Snell
P- Buchholz
P- J. Gray

BN- Conforto
BN- Velasquez
BN- Newcomb
BN- Morton
BN- Gibson
BN- Ryu

DL- K. Herrera
DL- Darvish
DL- Stripling

Thanks!

My first thoughts were Buchholz, Ryu, or Gibson, but I do't really know if that's wise in any of those cases. Would you definitely keep Mondesi? If so, maybe it would make sense to just part ways with Simmons?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I can't say for sure because I really haven't thought much about SS in years, but my sense is that Mondesi might be close enough to the upside of Simmons at this point to be worth just slotting him in there. In any case, I think that's probably the decision to make... somebody like Buchholz is probably not worth too much, but you might as well just keep riding the wave with him.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I can't say for sure because I really haven't thought much about SS in years, but my sense is that Mondesi might be close enough to the upside of Simmons at this point to be worth just slotting him in there. In any case, I think that's probably the decision to make... somebody like Buchholz is probably not worth too much, but you might as well just keep riding the wave with him.

Thanks for the input. I still have no idea though.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Leaving the playoffs out of the picture for now, Long Island Losers will most definitely be a loser this week.
That will be my consolation prize.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
A guy in my league dropped Marte this past week, so I just put a bid on him for $2 and won, surprisingly. He's had a down year maybe slightly, but is still a pretty good bargain at that price.

I have a roster spot that I can play with, although I'll probably want to use it to stream pitching in the final week or two and playoffs. Given that it's likely no one else put a bid on him, should I just put him back? I have Toussaint, but the Braves didn't call him back up, so he's who I'd cut. My thinking is basically that I can cut one or the other and try to buy them back in free agency later if I want to (I have a good bit of waiver bid cash). The only reason I have some pause is because I'm not sure I have the space to keep Marte, but that price is a steal (he'd be $3 next year).

Edit: decided to keep Touki and send Marte back. I don't love having to move position players in and out in daily lineups, and there's really not much of a place for Marte on my team, as he'd have to play over Hoskins, Acuna, Benintendi, or Cain. If he catches fire, he would of course be worth playing, but I decided I'll keep the spot open for now.

Maybe if he stays a FA and I'm going to lose my playoff match, I'll add him back. Surprised none of the teams out of the playoff race added him.

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
A guy in my league dropped Marte this past week, so I just put a bid on him for $2 and won, surprisingly. He's had a down year maybe slightly, but is still a pretty good bargain at that price.

I have a roster spot that I can play with, although I'll probably want to use it to stream pitching in the final week or two and playoffs. Given that it's likely no one else put a bid on him, should I just put him back? I have Toussaint, but the Braves didn't call him back up, so he's who I'd cut. My thinking is basically that I can cut one or the other and try to buy them back in free agency later if I want to (I have a good bit of waiver bid cash). The only reason I have some pause is because I'm not sure I have the space to keep Marte, but that price is a steal (he'd be $3 next year).

Edit: decided to keep Touki and send Marte back. I don't love having to move position players in and out in daily lineups, and there's really not much of a place for Marte on my team, as he'd have to play over Hoskins, Acuna, Benintendi, or Cain. If he catches fire, he would of course be worth playing, but I decided I'll keep the spot open for now.

Maybe if he stays a FA and I'm going to lose my playoff match, I'll add him back. Surprised none of the teams out of the playoff race added him.

Starling Marte? That's weird.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised some team with mediocre players didn't just pick him up for 7 or 8 dollars or something. I may have made a mistake putting him back, but I already have Hoskins, Acuna, and Benintendi as almost definite keepers, who play LF and LF/CF, so one will occupy 1/2 of my Util spots next year. In any case, I'll revisit in a couple weeks I guess if no one wants to add him. I'm hoping Touki gets a call up, but seems likely that he'll just be a September callup and do a spot start or two or play in the bullpen.

Guess that's still worth hanging onto, given how thin pitching is in my league. The only other potential starter I could add is Kyle Wright. Kopech is already owned.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I worked myself into a bit of a pickle. Nobody owns Francisco Mejia in my league, and since I have a decent amount of expiring waiver cash, I tossed a three dollar bid on him, figuring that someone would probably outbid me. I won.

I had Posey, but he's obviously he's out for the year. Cervelli was the best C available, and he's surprised me with his consistent production, which is probably something I want from that position now that we start the playoffs next week. However, Mejia is intriguing, especially because if he's very good, then that's an attractive keeper price and an attractive keeper position (it goes up to $4, but same difference).

Do people think Mejia is going to play that much? Between that and total uncertainty about how he'll perform, I'm sort of at a loss for what to do. My team is riding high into the playoffs and I think I have a fair chance to win, so I don't want to sacrifice steady points for potential. But Cervelli also probably won't play every single day, and if Mejia has a monster week, it might end up making up for a mediocre week or something. Right now, I can buy myself some time because I can drop Mengden, who I had picked up to spot start for Morton, who is coming back Saturday. But by Saturday I need to pull the trigger on Cervelli or Mejia.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
So... um... the chokejob is on in Tootoo Train's league. I was three games up with three weeks left. It's down to one with one week left, and I'm losing so far.

What's worse is the 1 manager who went mia, and whose lineup i set periodically just to maintain the relative difficulty level for all other managers, has the last playoff spot locked up....
Chris (his 1st round competitor), should beat him. Here's hoping. If he does, he'll get a participation reward from me in the form of a 6pack of his choosing.

Edit: Noticed that mr MIA made a roster move sept 4. Wowee. Hopefully he picks it up a bit.

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I worked myself into a bit of a pickle. Nobody owns Francisco Mejia in my league, and since I have a decent amount of expiring waiver cash, I tossed a three dollar bid on him, figuring that someone would probably outbid me. I won.

I had Posey, but he's obviously he's out for the year. Cervelli was the best C available, and he's surprised me with his consistent production, which is probably something I want from that position now that we start the playoffs next week. However, Mejia is intriguing, especially because if he's very good, then that's an attractive keeper price and an attractive keeper position (it goes up to $4, but same difference).

Do people think Mejia is going to play that much? Between that and total uncertainty about how he'll perform, I'm sort of at a loss for what to do. My team is riding high into the playoffs and I think I have a fair chance to win, so I don't want to sacrifice steady points for potential. But Cervelli also probably won't play every single day, and if Mejia has a monster week, it might end up making up for a mediocre week or something. Right now, I can buy myself some time because I can drop Mengden, who I had picked up to spot start for Morton, who is coming back Saturday. But by Saturday I need to pull the trigger on Cervelli or Mejia.

The Padres are better off tanking for a draft pick. I think they'll keep playing Hedges.

What's worse is the 1 manager who went mia, and whose lineup i set periodically just to maintain the relative difficulty level for all other managers, has the last playoff spot locked up....
Chris (his 1st round competitor), should beat him. Here's hoping. If he does, he'll get a participation reward from me in the form of a 6pack of his choosing.

Edit: Noticed that mr MIA made a roster move sept 4. Wowee. Hopefully he picks it up a bit.

Haha

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Padres are better off tanking for a draft pick. I think they'll keep playing Hedges.

Thanks, it's bizarre to me that they called him up, since they could easily delay his Super Two clock a little bit more. But I'm thinking maybe they want a look at him, to assess if he can stick at catcher. Looks like he just hit a HR in his first at bat, though it's at GABP... I'm still undecided. I might just roll the dice on keeping him, and then if things are looking bad, I can grab Cervelli back in all likelihood.

edit: hot damn, he has two HRs! Wish this week were a playoff matchup...

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
On Saturday I was in 2nd by 6 points and the 1st place team was dominating his matchup. I dropped 2 starting RPs for 2 SPs, his team choked on Sunday, my team dominated on Sunday, and I won the regular season by % points. I'm the man with no name. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad