FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.15 - I'm Running Out of Thread Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorNsh*

Nashville will likely not trade Jones for Kessel, at least 99% of the fans on their board will tell you that. Thinking they would also add a 1st to make it happen is ludicrous. Think about it this way, who would you rather have, Kessel or Rielly? Then consider the fact that Jones is rated higher than Rielly and you should be well on your way to enlightenment.

I would trade Kessel for Jones and be absolutely thrilled to do so! :nod:
That logic.

Nashville has Weber, Josi, Ellis, etc. ahead of Jones. Our defense is entirely dependent on Rielly's success, so obviously he means more to us than Kessel would.

TorNsh*

I would entertain Kessel for Gudbranson + 1st + B spec.

Rielly - Gudbranson
Phaneuf - Carlo
Percy - Granberg

And then draft another defenseman in 2016's draft.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
on the subject of ntc, do we have any concrete details of kessel's ntc and how many teams and etc?

According to Elliotte Friedman, Phil Kessel has a limited no-trade clause. He has a list of eight teams he can be traded to. Kessel “cannot be waived or “loaned†(although very unlikely) during term of the eight year deal.†The list of teams he can be traded will be submitted on a yearly basis.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Howard Berger, the Nashville Predators might be interested in acquiring Phil Kessel from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

http://bergerbytes.ca/are-predators-chasing-fast-phil/

A birdie, however, whispered in my ear today that Nashville could be eyeing Kessel and the remainder of his gargantuan pact. After this season, the Maple Leafs most talented player has six years and $45 million left on the eight–year, $64–million extension he signed with David Nonis on Oct. 13, 2013 (though salary varies, it has an per–season cap hit of $8 million). The deal came with a limited no–trade clause in which Kessel must submit — annually — a list of eight National Hockey League clubs to which he’d sanction a move.

If I’m Dave Nonis (or Brendan Shanahan), I ask for nothing less than rookie Filip Forsberg. But, Poile would likely have to consume an alcohol/opiate mixture before agreeing to such a trade. The Leafs might therefore pursue 19–year–old Finnish goaltender Jusse Saros, a fourth–round draft pick of the Predators in 2013. Smallish for a goalie at 5–foot–11, Saros nonetheless has quickness and competitive zeal. After a ragged start, he has played exceptionally well this season for HPK Hameenlinna — compiling a 2.13 goals–against average and a .930 save percentage in 36 games. The Fins disappointed at the recent World Junior Hockey Championships, losing 6–3 to Sweden in the quarterfinals. Saros was 0–2–0 with a 3.03 GAA. But, he remains an elite prospect.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Jusse Saros, an undersized goalie prospect recently drafted in the 4th rd. is only the key piece in a Kessel trade in the minds of Preds fans and Howard Berger.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
How is Jones any less of a reach than Forsberg?

Seth Jones isn't coming out of Nashville for any less than a number one center. It sucks, but its true.

Well, they have plenty of defense and that is their position of strength. Their offense is not as great outside of Forsberg. Adding Phil to their weak offensive group would benefit them more than trading Kessel for Forsberg. Kessel for Forsberg would be redundant

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Well, they have plenty of defense and that is their position of strength. Their offense is not as great outside of Forsberg. Adding Phil to their weak offensive group would benefit them more than trading Kessel for Forsberg. Kessel for Forsberg would be redundant

I wouldn't call their offense weak this year. This isn't a Barry Trotz Predators team anymore. They're pretty solid on the wings. Jones will essentially replace Shea Weber when Weber begins to decline and retire, so their defense is set pretty well for years to come. The one thing they lack is a top line center.

If the Preds this year were the Leafs: would you trade Seth Jones for Phil Kessel?

There is a fit there for Kessel, but I'd be shocked if Jones comes back the other way. Ellis as part of a package maybe, but not Jones. Trading Jones would be reserved for getting a key piece in the biggest position of need. Players like Forsberg and Neal can get the scoring done on the wing. That big time #1 center is the missing piece that team's puzzle.

Of course I hope I'm wrong and we somehow got Jones lol.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Why Sproul? He can skate and has a big shot, but that's about it. Ouellet would be a better dman to target. Probably less of an offensive threat, but better everywhere else

Because he's become a more complete player since being drafted. Hard to find a player with a shot like that and he is also a right handed shot which we will need once we trade Franson.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I wouldn't call their offense weak this year. This isn't a Barry Trotz Predators team anymore. They're pretty solid on the wings. Jones will essentially replace Shea Weber when Weber begins to decline and retire, so their defense is set pretty well for years to come. The one thing they lack is a top line center.

If the Preds this year were the Leafs: would you trade Seth Jones for Phil Kessel?

There is a fit there for Kessel, but I'd be shocked if Jones comes back the other way. Ellis as part of a package maybe, but not Jones. Trading Jones would be reserved for getting a key piece in the biggest position of need. Players like Forsberg and Neal can get the scoring done on the wing. That big time #1 center is the missing piece that team's puzzle.

Of course I hope I'm wrong and we somehow got Jones lol.

They have a decent farm system, but only Fiala really stands out. Lots of 4-6 dmen, although a couple who could surprise like only Nashville dmen can it seems, and lots of middle 9 guys. Hellberg is their best goaltender imo. Without one of Fiala, or Jones coming back, it's a patchwork of players and picks, late picks at that.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Because he's become a more complete player since being drafted. Hard to find a player with a shot like that and he is also a right handed shot which we will need once we trade Franson.

He's still the guy with the shot. His defensive play is still weak because his hockey iq has never been a bright spot. He is basically Franson with skating and little to no toughness. Depending on the return I wouldn't mind nor care, would just prefer Ouellet who has a more complete game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad