Toronto
Perfect Trade Deadline imo:

Lupul for 2nd
Franson for late 1st
Santo for 2nd
Winnik for 3rd
Bozak for late 1st or 2nd + B prospect

Then at the draft package some picks to try and get another pick in the top 20

I hope someone will give us a first for Franson. I don't think he's worth that.

Winnik I think is worth more than a 3rd. If you think that your team will be a serious cup contender, you're going to want to have Winnik out there killing penalties and grinding out a tough 7 game series. Santo I think could also be a huge boost to a team with a weak link in their top 9.

I would try and trade Santo and Winnik in a package with one of our roster players (Kessel, Bozak, JVR, Lupul, etc.) for a good prospect. I think that virtually every serious playoff team will want to add Winnik and Santo... so we can't just take 2nd round picks (since they'll be late 2nds anyways too). We gotta make someone pay with a good prospect... otherwise, these guys go to your opponent and they'll have these extra guys coming against your team.

I think Kessel + Franson + Winnik + Santo to Nashville for Jones + 1st + something

If Nashville doesn't want that deal, then we make similar offers to other teams.

I think we're better off using Franson, Winnik and Santo as pieces of blockbuster deals rather than letting them all go for picks that might not turn into much of anything. I'd rather 1 good / potential elite player than 3 gambles.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Teams just aren't trading guys like Jones, Strome IMO
maybe last year but they are established min players now. part of a win now core

contending teams will want to part with cap dumps and future prospects or picks. not anything that will take away from current group

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Any return we get for our players (assuming Nonis even decides to deal -- he'll probably re-sign them for our 8th place run next season) is going to seem so pathetic compared to this trade.

Just ****ing do something Nonis.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Any return we get for our players (assuming Nonis even decides to deal -- he'll probably re-sign them for our 8th place run next season) is going to seem so pathetic compared to this trade.

Just ****ing do something Nonis.

Nonis is probably being too cute trying to get almost NHL ready prospects, instead of just taking picks.

Get it done, and set the tone for a rebuild. If we sell off Franson/Santorelli/Winnik now, it opens up room for management to focus on moving out a bigger contract like Kessel/Phaneuf/Bozak/Lupul, or maybe even JVR, before the deadline.

If they wait until the last minute for everything, they'll only be able to do the pending UFAs, whose value ultimately won't go up by much at all, but could drop due to injury. And then most of our core guys under contract are seeing their value drop right now due to repeated poor performances. What if Bozak/Kessel continue at this pace for the rest of the season? Their value will be hurt quite a bit by the draft.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Nonis is probably being too cute trying to get almost NHL ready prospects, instead of just taking picks.

Get it done, and set the tone for a rebuild. If we sell off Franson/Santorelli/Winnik now, it opens up room for management to focus on moving out a bigger contract like Kessel/Phaneuf/Bozak/Lupul, or maybe even JVR, before the deadline.

If they wait until the last minute for everything, they'll only be able to do the pending UFAs, whose value ultimately won't go up by much at all, but could drop due to injury. And then most of our core guys under contract are seeing their value drop right now due to repeated poor performances. What if Bozak/Kessel continue at this pace for the rest of the season? Their value will be hurt quite a bit by the draft.

Kessel wont have his value hurt, he's been around too long doing what he does.

Him and Dion wont be moved before the deadline any ways and taking crap picks for the rest wont make that reality any different.

Lupul is what he is so maybe only Bozak fits the bill in your post and I think the damage has already been done there

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph

Exactly. This season is over. It has been for weeks. And even if you're holding out hope for the playoffs, it's clear this isn't the team to take forward.

Even though I think Kessel's trade value will remain high as he has a long career to back it up, the situation that's going on now (benching, demotion, poor play offensively and defensively) certainly won't help. But Bozak might be someone who a playoff team would be interested in to ensure they have depth up the middle. I also hope Nonis isn't trying to pull off player-for-player deals to bring in guys who are just a couple years younger than the guys we're trading away. If we're targeting players, they need be in the 18-22 range. I don't want ****ing Matt Beleskey back from Anaheim; I want Smith-Pelley or Rakell, or picks.

It also allows us to bring up a Marlie or two and see how they fair for the rest of the season. I think both Brown and Levio deserve a shot.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
For the love of god can we stop making Kessel to Nashville for Jones proposals? It will never happen. Poile calls Kessel a good player and then bam 4-5 weeks of Kessel to nashville proposals. Guess what, I'm sure 29 other GMs think hes a pretty good player too.

DrizzyTO

OVO
Mar 21, 2013
Sanctuary ||
I hope someone will give us a first for Franson. I don't think he's worth that.

Winnik I think is worth more than a 3rd. If you think that your team will be a serious cup contender, you're going to want to have Winnik out there killing penalties and grinding out a tough 7 game series. Santo I think could also be a huge boost to a team with a weak link in their top 9.

I would try and trade Santo and Winnik in a package with one of our roster players (Kessel, Bozak, JVR, Lupul, etc.) for a good prospect. I think that virtually every serious playoff team will want to add Winnik and Santo... so we can't just take 2nd round picks (since they'll be late 2nds anyways too). We gotta make someone pay with a good prospect... otherwise, these guys go to your opponent and they'll have these extra guys coming against your team.

I think Kessel + Franson + Winnik + Santo to Nashville for Jones + 1st + something

If Nashville doesn't want that deal, then we make similar offers to other teams.

I think we're better off using Franson, Winnik and Santo as pieces of blockbuster deals rather than letting them all go for picks that might not turn into much of anything. I'd rather 1 good / potential elite player than 3 gambles.
This is the worst deal we can ever do.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
This is the worst deal we can ever do.

im with you

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

glad your not the gm.

most people think the value of the players in the proposal are apx.

kessel top blue chip prospect +
winnik 3rd +
santorelli 2nd +
franson late 1st

if kessel = jones + 1st then winnik/santorelli/franson = FREE

if jones is not in play the leafs are better off keeping kessel and getting a 1st+2nd+3rd for franson, santorelli, and winnik.

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Remember when Burke drafted only North Americans on purpose?

I think the stigma was against Russians specifically - not because of the playing style but because of the flight risk of the KHL. Now that the russian economy is not doing so well - I would think it's a lot safer now to draft a Russian prospect.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
This. I don't know why the hell people keep making proposals for him.

Why do the deal with Nashville then?

There's not a package for Kessel that doesn't include Jones that should compel Nonis, Hunter or whoever to want to move make a move with them before the deadline. Some other team whether before the deadline or even in the summer may/should be able to better some of the proposed deals I've seen that don't include Jones.

My take anyway. But the whole issue with "the Muskoka 5" really resonates at a time like this because we hardly got anything back for them and it set the team back 3-5 years probably.

If they've decided that Kessel is moving they can't screw that one by "settling" on a deal.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Uncanny ain't it.
at this point, I'd just like someone, anyone at MLSE to trade at least 1 or 2 pieces of this core for whatever. Let your fan base know that your embarrassed of the product your icing. For the love of god give us something to cling to. Meanwhile 110 miles down the QEW Saber fans have a future to look forward to..............

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Things I got from today:

-Winnipeg just ripped off Buffalo so hard. If Kane and Bogosian got that, I can't imagine what we'd get for some of our guys.
-With many competing assets coming off the market (Myers, Kane and Stafford), our assets' values just went up.
-Only potential suitors we lose today is Dallas and them no longer needing a backup. Winnipeg still needs someone to come in since Kane and Stafford just offset each other in the Jets' lineup.
-I wanted to point this one out especially. Since Dallas was a good suitor for Reimer, it may seem like Reimer's stock will go down. However, if you simply consider this: Neuvirth is going to come off the market, and he's one of Reimer's biggest competition on the market. Enroth was Reimer's biggest competition on the market, so there's two guys off the market now. Who else is there? Ward, Anderson and Niemi are starting goalies. Fasth and Scrivens from Edmonton are jokes; they aren't going anywhere unless Edmonton sends them as a part of a deal to get a better goalie. Ramo/Hiller won't be traded despite Ortio playing well because they're in the playoffs. They won't do that. Martin Jones won't be going anywhere. He's not that great. Besides that, the only comparable goalie is Lack, whom also probably won't be traded with Vancouver in the playoffs. Reimer is the best and really only option that's really available in his category of a really good backup goalie now by a far margin. There are still plenty of teams that could use a top notch backup still also, notably the Islanders and the Wild. Oilers may be interested also, but will likely chase one of the starters.

So all in all, I think the Sabres got ripped off in the Kane deal (Enroth deal was good for them though), but I'm happy it happened since the values of our players are going up now. In fact, there's one less selling team we've got to compete with altogether pretty much. Stafford and Myers were their most valuable assets. Besides that, they've got Stewart and Mitchell, but they're not in any of the categories of players we've got available, Meszaros, who has little value and high cap and doesn't really compete with any of our categories, and Ellis, Benoit and Strachan, all of whom are worse depth players than what we've got. Hodgson also, but he has negative value. So whoop, one less competitor on the selling market now :D

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I love how two teams can come together and make a blockbuster within a week, meanwhile it takes us a year to scout and trade for Dave Steckel lol.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Same people who think Kessel is a lazy, heartless, slob, expect to get back Jones, or high draft picks/quality prospects?

lmfao

Buffalo and Winnipeg just completed a large trade where fair value was distributed to both sides.

Why can't the Leafs trade assets with value to another team and get fair value back?

But, I know. "lol they're the Leafs, Kessel's fat, lucky to get a 2nd"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad