FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.15 - I'm Running Out of Thread Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
i think we'll see dion and lupul along with franson, santo, and winnik move before vessel move. People might hate him but he's a lot more valuable than people here give him credit for.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sportsnet released this years list of the Top 15 NHL Rentals.

At #11 was Daniel Winnik. Team that might be interested: New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, Tampa Bay Lightning, Minnesota Wild, Washington Capitals

At #6 was Mike Santorelli. Team that might be interested: New York Rangers, Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, New York Islanders, Nashville Predators

And, at #2 was Cody Franson. Team that might be interested: Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vancouver Canucks

Full Article: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/top-nhl-trade-deadline-2015-rental-players/

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Sportsnet released this years list of the Top 15 NHL Rentals.

At #11 was Daniel Winnik. Team that might be interested: New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, Tampa Bay Lightning, Minnesota Wild, Washington Capitals

At #6 was Mike Santorelli. Team that might be interested: New York Rangers, Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, New York Islanders, Nashville Predators

And, at #2 was Cody Franson. Team that might be interested: Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vancouver Canucks

Full Article: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/top-nhl-trade-deadline-2015-rental-players/

I see a three-fer deal with the Wings coming up

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
i think we'll see dion and lupul along with franson, santo, and winnik move before vessel move. People might hate him but he's a lot more valuable than people here give him credit for.

Agree with the last part. Everywhere outside of Toronto, Kessel is highly respected, and regarded as one of the best players in the league.

Although I disagree with the first part. Don't think there is a specific order (although it's likely that Winnik/Santa/Franson move before because of the rental aspect) that the Leafs want to move players in. If a team calls us up, and offers us a big deal for Kessel, we take it.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

I'd keep Lupul for one more year and deal kessel this summer and move Lupul up to the top line with top minutes and hope he stays somewhat healthy he could post 60-70 points and really raise his value.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Starting to think Columbus would make a great trading partner Re: Kessel.

Alex Wennberg would be terrific to get, along with Columbus's 1st, which should be a top 10 pick, and maybe another piece like Josh Anderson, or a prospect like that.

As for Phaneuf, Anaheim to be is the perfect fit. They have more than enough cap space to fit a guy like him in, and have the assets to do it as well

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
If Nashville wants Kessel you have to demand Jones. Otherwise look to other teams.

Agreed. Kessel isn't a mediocre trade chip. Offensive players of that calibre don't get traded very often.

On a good team away from the spotlight, he goes back to his 80-82 yearly points, and nobody bothers him about defence again.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Alex Wennberg would be terrific to get, along with Columbus's 1st, which should be a top 10 pick, and maybe another piece like Josh Anderson, or a prospect like that.

As for Phaneuf, Anaheim to be is the perfect fit. They have more than enough cap space to fit a guy like him in, and have the assets to do it as well

I think they could use both Phaneuf and Franson. They need a right handed shooter on the point badly and have enough cap space to take both.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

No way Columbus does that. They have less points then us (less GP) and won't make the playoffs. They aren't going to trade a top 10 pick this year plus their best prospect plus something else when they are this bad. Maybe a 1st next year.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Columbus has no cap space for next season. Bobrovsky, Foligno, and Dubinsky already have contracts signed that give them 1-2 million more each.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Obviously Kessel to Nashville has been beaten to death so I've been trying to think of other matches. One match I see that makes a ton of sense is Kessel to Florida. I'd look at a package of Gudbranson and Huberdeau, or Gudbranson, Howden and a 1st.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Columbus has no cap space for next season. Bobrovsky, Foligno, and Dubinsky already have contracts signed that give them 1-2 million more each.

They free up almost 3M in cap space by ridding themselves of Leopold and Commodore (buyout hit), plus, Horton on LTIR, and they have plenty of space to add a player like Kessel.

Add in the possibility of the Leafs maybe taking a guy like Anisimov or Tyutin back in the deal.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
They free up almost 3M in cap space by ridding themselves of Leopold and Commodore (buyout hit), plus, Horton on LTIR, and they have plenty of space to add a player like Kessel.

Add in the possibility of the Leafs maybe taking a guy like Anisimov or Tyutin back in the deal.

I forgot about Horton. It would actually make sense for them to make a play for Kessel to replace Horton if his career is over, they aren't setup to be in tank mode.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well, they have plenty of defense and that is their position of strength. Their offense is not as great outside of Forsberg. Adding Phil to their weak offensive group would benefit them more than trading Kessel for Forsberg. Kessel for Forsberg would be redundant

I wouldn't call their offense weak this year. This isn't a Barry Trotz Predators team anymore. They're pretty solid on the wings. Jones will essentially replace Shea Weber when Weber begins to decline and retire, so their defense is set pretty well for years to come. The one thing they lack is a top line center.

If the Preds this year were the Leafs: would you trade Seth Jones for Phil Kessel?

There is a fit there for Kessel, but I'd be shocked if Jones comes back the other way. Ellis as part of a package maybe, but not Jones. Trading Jones would be reserved for getting a key piece in the biggest position of need. Players like Forsberg and Neal can get the scoring done on the wing. That big time #1 center is the missing piece that team's puzzle.

Of course I hope I'm wrong and we somehow got Jones lol.

I thought they were 5th overall in scoring and in 1st place?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
If we do trade Kessel, and I'm not exactly confident we will (though won't be surprised either way), a good deal needs to include a piece that the other team doesn't want to part with.

By that I mean, I want to be able to go to the Preds board or the Blue Jackets or whomever, and see them complain. Not because I wish them bad but because Phil Kessel is worth that.

That doesn't necessarily mean Jones but equally so, continuing with the Preds example, someone like Craig Smith cannot be the centerpiece.

We need Quality. Not Quantity.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
If we do trade Kessel, and I'm not exactly confident we will (though won't be surprised either way), a good deal needs to include a piece that the other team doesn't want to part with.

By that I mean, I want to be able to go to the Preds board or the Blue Jackets or whomever, and see them complain. Not because I wish them bad but because Phil Kessel is worth that.

That doesn't necessarily mean Jones but equally so, continuing with the Preds example, someone like Craig Smith cannot be the centerpiece.

We need Quality. Not Quantity.

Agreed. :nod:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
People are undervaluing kessels value. Fiala, smith and a 1st?

I'd much rather keep him at that price.

Kessel's defensive game isn't amazing but neither is a lot of the best point getters in the league. Kessel is just 28, has a long term contract at up to 2 million less than he'd probably get on the open market, and he's never had injury problems or inconsistent offensive numbers.

Also, kessel hasn't played with a premier centre since he was 21ish.... or Even on a good team for that matter

He still has incredible upside ... Despite his age.

Kessel is a bonafide elite player in the league... He's worth a lot.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That logic.

Nashville has Weber, Josi, Ellis, etc. ahead of Jones. Our defense is entirely dependent on Rielly's success, so obviously he means more to us than Kessel would.

You're missing the point. In a vacuum, Rielly has more value than Kessel, and Jones has more value than Rielly. The only argument NSH has for trading Jones for Kessel is the "win now" argument. But Jones is improving fast and as soon as 2 years from now, he might already be the player Kessel is. If NSH does that trade they will be paying it for it for 15 years to come. They would have to be desperate to win now to make that move and there is no indication that they are desperate.

But some of you think not only might NSH part with Jones, but they will add a 1st round pick to make it happen? :laugh:

It will never happen. 100% guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad