Post-Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche defeat the Winnipeg Jets, 4-1

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Really reminded me of that 2019 Calgary-Colorado series. Least the Flames shut em out in game 1 :laugh: and they had Mike Smith not the likely Vezina winner

Jets needed to find a way to slow the Avs down through the NZ and they couldn't. Really they needed to slow down the game in every zone. I didn't mind the Monahan pickup for them but then to get Toffoli too, that's just a lot of 1 dimensional slow players in your top 6. I don't think I can put this on Hellebuyck but he needed to be great for the Jets to have a good chance in this series and he simply wasn't.

To me this was just a matter of Winnipeg's core just not being up to par.
MacK > Scheif
Rantanen > Connor
Makar > Morrissey

then the secondary big pieces were also outperformed
Nuke > Ehlers
Mittlestadt > Monahan/Toffoli/Vilardi
Toews > ???? I have no idea who the Jets 2nd best dman is supposed to be? Pionk?

I don't see it. Morrissey is a solid offensive #1 but after that it's bunch of fairly average 2nd pairing guys.
Wasn't that Calgary series the one that spawned this image?

image_2024-05-01_005245562.png

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Avs are a top heavy team, but thats not much of a problem against a team like the Jets, whose ‘high-end talent’ isnt nearly quality enough to battle the Avs top-end to a draw.

Such a bad take. If nothing, this series showed depth of the Avalanche.

Horrible series for Hellebuyck

This was key why this ended in five. We got lucky with George and Jets unlucky with Helle.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Jets are a solid team. They shut down the Avs top line well.

But for all the depth that the analysts talked about it was the Avs second and third lines that tilted the ice against the Monahan and Toffoli types that don't drive play.
5 GP

Mack - 9 pts
Rantanen - 9 pts
Nichushkin - 7 goals

I know a lot was on the PP, but that is far from shutting them down. They had good periods but also had collapses.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Is Cheveldayoff's job safe?

I know Jets fans seem to like the moves he made, but he's also the 2nd longest tenured GM in the league. You'd think he'd have more than 3 series win in 13 seasons to show for it with that kind of job security.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Avs were exactly what you expect them to be in the playoffs, but it's always a wow factor to actually see that pace and intensity in action.

In my opinion Jets lost the series from game 3's 3rd period to game 4. Overwhelmed and not enough pushback, and all of a sudden the series is 3-1.

Other than that it was pretty even knowing the Avs were going to have their surges and the Jets would sometimes have to weather them. But if the best thing you can do is play the other team even, then it's tough to win a series. Bucky would've had to have a series for the ages.

It's starting to become a common theme for Winnipeg that they just lose to quicker teams in the playoffs. It's tough to make big changes after the regular season they just had, but there has to be more emphasis on speed for this team otherwise it's just the same result every time.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
avs speed and skill was just overwhelming. sucks for the jets because they had a good team.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I remember Jets fans laughing at me after my game 1 prediction, when Jets won 7-6, when I said the following:

Jets had 2 problems:

1. They won't continue to average 7 goals a game
2. Colorado will continue to average 6 goals a game

Whose laughing now? Looks like I was right :nod:

As usual - Jets choke big time in playoffs.
Colorado will be tough to beat this year.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I remember Jets fans laughing at me after my game 1 prediction, when Jets won 7-6, when I said the following:

Jets had 2 problems:

Do you have the receipts on #2?

#1 I think was pretty obvious (no team would average that many), but you may have been the only person who predicted #2.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
A run and gun series was always going to go for Colorado. Colorado scored at will all series. Winnipeg would have had a chance in a tighter series. Alternatively, play this series in a more defensive era, Winnipeg would win.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbonium

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Do you have the receipts on #2?

#1 I think was pretty obvious (no team would average that many), but you may have been the only person who predicted #2.

Good question. Just for fun....

My initial post:

Some replies:

@winnipegger @CaptainUgly @Jetcetera

Are we having fun yet?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I wonder if we'll ever find out who the player was who called them being frauds two months ago.

Allegedly someone in the central...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Did you even watch the series? The top players of the Avs didn't really even play that well, I mean Makar did but MacKinnon and Rantanen were average or bellow that. It was the 4 stroke cylinder of the Avs that got the job done. Artturi f***ing Lehkonen got 5 goals, 8 points in the series. Don't even get me started on Nuke or Mittelstadt.

The expectations are quite high when 9 points in 5 games is being average or below average

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Good question. Just for fun....

My initial post:

Some replies:

@winnipegger @CaptainUgly @Jetcetera

Are we having fun yet?
I stand corrected. Impressive prediction.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Alternatively, play this series in a more defensive era, Winnipeg would win.

Still No, they would not. More Defensive era is one thing, but the AVS just have more firepower and quality-players. If you are getting hammered in your own end and your goalie under siege most of the time, you wont win many games. Especially not against a team that has MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar, Nichushkin and Playoff-Lehkonen on their side. You have to nearly play a perfect Defensive game to win 4 games this way.. Sorry, thats not gonna happen against a real contender.

The 2nd line of Colorado with mittelstadt was imho the best line out there and took the Jets Top-Dogs to the cleaners most of the time.

Thats why a capable 2nd line center is a must if you want to go the distance. And thank god MacFarland finally adressed this issue.

This was not all about "more defensive era" or Helleybuck getting bombed.

Georgiev not getting his shit together prevented this series to go even 5 games. With all respect to Winnipeg and their fans.

Colorado was imho just one level above the Jets in this series which totally surprised me. I didnt see this coming, to be honest. Not after the last 3 weeks of the regular season when we played like a "wild card" team.

Bowness said it in his presser: Colorado took their game to another level. A level we havent seen in the regular season. The Jets on the other side couldnt.

Reactions: Turbonium

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I’m just bummed that we played the entire series and I still have no idea who this Nick Chewshkin guy ESPN keeps mentioning is.
The important thing is that the Avs made broadcast timing easy on ESPN since they knew when the games would be over.

At Five-Past Hellebuyck!

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

Jets had 2 problems:

I actually remember you posting this and as an Avs fan, I thought you were bananas with that #2 prediction. Great call. I'm glad I didn't respond to this when it was posted lol.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Georgiev's resurgence was the true turning point for the series. If he can play the way he did in games 2-5, I seriously think we have a good chance at the cup

The big question is how will he handle a long run?

There were comments about him being tired months ago already

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
The big question is how will he handle a long run?

There were comments about him being tired months ago already
avs gave him a rest and played annunen quite a bit before the playoffs. with some luck he might get a bit of a rest here too.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
avs gave him a rest and played annunen quite a bit before the playoffs. with some luck he might get a bit of a rest here too.

He gets a little rest but you it’s still 3 long playoff rounds untill the end

Either Vegas/Dallas will give a different type of challenge to Colorado

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad