F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
For sure man. McGroarty looks like an animal right now but I don't know how many 15 year old stars have fallen off. We draft them young at 18, probably we have a sense of who the names will be for first overall just due to the nature of it, but so much is liable to change
Sean Day, Ho-Sang, and John McFarland are all relatively recent OHL prospects hyped as prodigies who failed to deliver or are highly underachieving what people said about them at 15. Projecting kids NHL futures before they played junior or their countries equivalent is generally a fool's game.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Anyone think that is weird that there isn't a big hype around Shane? Because i think it is. 1st overall draft pick, gets the 15 year special
status thing, had a sick season last season as 14 and 15 year old, i have never seen someone score so many goals and points in a one season in a very long time. - anywhere -

Only 8 pages??? Insulting.

This is the Kingston effect.

Check their HF thread. It's usually the least active in the entire OHL.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sean Day, Ho-Sang, and John McFarland are all relatively recent OHL prospects hyped as prodigies who failed to deliver or are highly underachieving what people said about them at 15. Projecting kids NHL futures before they played junior or their countries equivalent is generally a fool's game.

Yep. Xavier Parent was seen as a potential 1st overall pick when he was 14/15 and just went undrafted

Reactions: wetcoast

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Dont forget Nick Ebert. Touted as a top 3 pick prior to the start of his draft year. Ended up being the very last pick of the draft

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Dont forget Nick Ebert. Touted as a top 3 pick prior to the start of his draft year. Ended up being the very last pick of the draft
A great example of how useless early top-level 'projections' are. Sure we have McDavids but plenty of guys who never realize anything close to the ostensible 'projection'. It's a lot of showing and then proving that they have to do at every rung of the ladder

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kingston just made their roster even weaker, trade RD Constantinou to SOO
TRADE; Hounds add Constantinou to blueline in deal with Frontenacs – Soo Greyhounds

- they got 3 picks in the trade
Strange move to trade away your #1 D-man thou.
Almost ppg this season, 18 year old RD

Half the time, I'm not really sure why Kingston makes some of the moves they do. Constantinou isn't even a final year player. He can return next season as well, so it's not your typical "trade away a 19 year old because you suck this year" type move you see in junior.

Reactions: Dominance

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
probably not, but its good.

I see a more mobile Tavares at this stage. He certianly isn't as electric as McDavid but his shot is miles ahead. Get him in the slot and he doesnt need much space to score where McDavid's biggest weakness was his shot.

Agreed. I remember watching both Wright and Savoie at the CWG. Very different players.

Wright has a fantastic shot and he’s got good size, future is bright with this kid but he’s still only 15. His skills are obvious and everything screams that he’s going to be a special player.

If anything, Savoie is more McDavid-like with his unbelievable skating and playmaking (talking specifically skillsets here). Like McDavid was, he’s more undersized at 15 than Wright is. But again, they’re both 15 lots of growth ahead of them.

The WHL is also a lot more physical league than the OHL. I think Savoie’s lack of size in a more physical league will require more of a learning curve for him. I’m just thinking about Savoie playing last years Prince Albert Raiders who were big, fast, and nasty he would have been bullied all over the ice as a 15/16 year old.

Reactions: d rake and jj cale

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Half the time, I'm not really sure why Kingston makes some of the moves they do. Constantinou isn't even a final year player. He can return next season as well, so it's not your typical "trade away a 19 year old because you suck this year" type move you see in junior.
Constantinou asked for a trade because he wasn't happy with his ice-time, even though he's been on the top pair and number 1 PP unit. From the 20-30 games I've seen of him he is one of the most selfish players I've ever seen, so honestly it doesn't surprise me.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
For sure man. McGroarty looks like an animal right now but I don't know how many 15 year old stars have fallen off. We draft them young at 18, probably we have a sense of who the names will be for first overall just due to the nature of it, but so much is liable to change

It's also difficult to evaluate the 04 US landscape right now. You have the top 04s from Michigan (except those grandfathered) and Chicago playing U15 pure and you have the remaining states (except for teams like Mt St Charles and South Kent teams) playing U16 Full / U16 Split Season and/or Prep. Would those playing U15 be able to put up the same numbers playing up? You have teams that are stacked with talent (HB/ OJG / NJ AVs / Mt St Charles) and teams with less talent (which can impact public sentiment due to point production etc). I like watching the US Development camp games which are the top echelon in their age group and the teams are pretty much created equal. I feel there you can see who stands out and who struggles. Are certain players good because they are on a stacked team playing systems or can they really play hockey and generate away from that atmosphere. Just being a devils advocate here... I don't think there are apples to apples yet - until they get a few years older and things begin to equalize is when we will see who the top players really are.
Thoughts?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
It's also difficult to evaluate the 04 US landscape right now. You have the top 04s from Michigan (except those grandfathered) and Chicago playing U15 pure and you have the remaining states (except for teams like Mt St Charles and South Kent teams) playing U16 Full / U16 Split Season and/or Prep. Would those playing U15 be able to put up the same numbers playing up? You have teams that are stacked with talent (HB/ OJG / NJ AVs / Mt St Charles) and teams with less talent (which can impact public sentiment due to point production etc). I like watching the US Development camp games which are the top echelon in their age group and the teams are pretty much created equal. I feel there you can see who stands out and who struggles. Are certain players good because they are on a stacked team playing systems or can they really play hockey and generate away from that atmosphere. Just being a devils advocate here... I don't think there are apples to apples yet - until they get a few years older and things begin to equalize is when we will see who the top players really are.
Thoughts?
Agree completely and frankly I don't think there really is any one event that helps clear things up. In a way each event makes it more complex. Even that camp which is obviously the best of the age group competing hard for spots, it's just a set of not "real" games with a ton of pressure towards the end of the season -- a poor showing and ultimately getting cut from that camp could be what galvanizes one of our less highly-touted prospects in to taking their game to the next level, whereas guys who make the team and do well there might end up coasting or plateauing with regard to their development.

I like following the young stars as much as anyone else but it is all just conjecture. The way to look at them best is to stay detached and evaluate each individual case as best as you can with the information available, especially as you noted there is no universal situation for Americans, we have a big pool of players in completely different situations...

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Agreed. I remember watching both Wright and Savoie at the CWG. Very different players.

Wright has a fantastic shot and he’s got good size, future is bright with this kid but he’s still only 15. His skills are obvious and everything screams that he’s going to be a special player.

If anything, Savoie is more McDavid-like with his unbelievable skating and playmaking (talking specifically skillsets here). Like McDavid was, he’s more undersized at 15 than Wright is. But again, they’re both 15 lots of growth ahead of them.

The WHL is also a lot more physical league than the OHL. I think Savoie’s lack of size in a more physical league will require more of a learning curve for him. I’m just thinking about Savoie playing last years Prince Albert Raiders who were big, fast, and nasty he would have been bullied all over the ice as a 15/16 year old.
McDavid was a stick at 15 (5'11, 163 or so). Savoie is smaller and already 180 lbs.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid was a stick at 15 (5'11, 163 or so). Savoie is smaller and already 180 lbs.
So basically it means he's already filled out and doesn't have very much room for growth? That's a little troubling. At 15, a player might not grow an inch, I wouldn't bank on it as a certainty.

For example Mikko Kokkonen too, was very heavy for his age at 15 years of age and didn't grow at all afterwards. Ended up falling a lot in draft rankings.

Reactions: tealhockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad